Counter trays recommendations

Started by Staggerwing, April 15, 2016, 06:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I'm sure this comes up often enough but I'll ask again anyway:

I need some simple vacuform-style counter trays for Avalanche Press Games, preferably with detached lids for stability. The boxes are slightly larger than your classic panzerblitz box but also half the height and I prefer shallow wells anyway due to fat finger syndrome. Also, I'm not looking for the fancy -tackle-style plano boxes.

Average outside box dimensions (approx):  h=11 3/4"   w=9 1/4"  d= 1"

AP themselves used to have trays but it looks like they don't anymore. The DVG trays look nice but are too deep (something they actually wanted from their trays). It seems as if there were oodles of trays around a few years ago but now... not so much.

Any suggestions? Thx...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

I've been needing to find some as well. Are the ones you linked to fairly sturdy?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2016, 07:46:14 AM
I've been needing to find some as well. Are the ones you linked to fairly sturdy?

I would say yes. I've been using the GMT trays for several years now. It's my go to counter tray and I own dozens of board games.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Nefaro

I've been using DVG's deep trays lately.  Or some of the very small Plano tackle boxes in some cases.

The only problematic games I've had, using them, is with those damn thin Multi-Man Publishing boxes. 

Although the GMT re-releases which include a mapboard, but still have the same sized basic box as the original with paper map, are uneven with cards & such.  I think that would still be the case even with the regular-sized GMT trays though.  Empire of the Sun is the perfect example of not having much room left to work with.

In some of them, I've substituted one or two Plano 3449s if the game has decks of cards that take up extra space.  Those little tackle boxes are only 1 inch tall, but you can fit two of them into a bookcase sized box and still have width left for two or three decks of cards and anything I feel like ziplocking.  Only five compartments apiece but they're large & fixed so it's easier to dig around in them for markers while playing and I only generally need one out while playing (they take up less table space than counter trays).

Staggerwing

Thanks guys.

Mirth, what are the dimension on the GMT trays? It doesn't say on the page. Also, in the comments I noticed the reference to Chessex trays- I'd forgotten all about them, with the rounded bottoms. At 4 buck each they ain't cheap but might be worth considering for deeper boxed games.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

Dear Lord. Let me go take some measurements.

bbmike

Like you have anything better to do.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

bbmike

There's gotta be scotch somewhere.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Bourbon, but I'll still be measuring trays first. Or at least trying.

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2016, 06:36:15 PM
Like you have anything better to do.

Quote from: mirth on April 15, 2016, 06:38:19 PM
I wish I did.

LOL.

I just want to make sure the trays will fit before I order. The shallower boxes in the AP roster are less than 1 inch high, including the thickness of the cardboard. i'd like to avoid having to keep my game boxes shut with a bunch of #64 rubber bands. :))

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 15, 2016, 06:24:43 PM
Thanks guys.

Mirth, what are the dimension on the GMT trays? It doesn't say on the page. Also, in the comments I noticed the reference to Chessex trays- I'd forgotten all about them, with the rounded bottoms. At 4 buck each they ain't cheap but might be worth considering for deeper boxed games.

I picked up a clear Chessex tray awhile back.

Pain in the ass.  The attached swinging lid just took up extra space and was in the way when using it.  I suppose that could be solved by cutting it off but you don't have to with other trays. 

Also.. the lid seemed to lock tighter than others.  Some may look at this as a good thing, but I am always afraid of the contents going flying because it takes extra prying to pop it open.  Not comfortable prying, like spying on neighbors with binoculars, either.  More like tearing a bandage off a heavily scabbed wound prying.

The angled bottoms were nice to get the last one or two counters out, but at the same time they further limit the available space inside.  Mixed bag, that feature.

My take: don't do it.

Staggerwing

Gotcha. I hope the GMT trays fit the bill.

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 15, 2016, 09:31:20 PM
Gotcha. I hope the GMT trays fit the bill.

Those are the good 'ole trusty baseline.  No frills, but no annoying surprises either.