Gaming Table Kickstarter

Started by TheCommandTent, April 16, 2014, 10:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedArgo

I finally finished my game table and it only took about five months of on and off building.  I built the 4'x6' table, which is actually bigger than I imagined and makes me think I should have done the 4'x4' table.  The only big change I did to the plans was instead of attaching the felt directly to the table, I covered a slightly less than 4'x6' sheet of 1/8" mdf and wrapped the edges of the felt around.  This way when I make a mess it will be fairly painless to replace.  The craftmanship is far from perfect, but the wife approved putting it in the basement family room, so it must not be too bad.

Next is to build some of the accessories like the drink holders and storage box underneath, but winter is coming, so those may have to wait.  :)

Here are some pictures of the progress...

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/wawalter70/embed/slideshow/

Barthheart

Nefaro

Double Deuce

RedArgo

Thanks, now it's time to get some board gaming going with my boys.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Double Deuce

Just curious if anyone other than RedArgo built one of these tables?

Nefaro

Quote from: Double Deuce on November 17, 2014, 01:10:41 AM
Just curious if anyone other than RedArgo built one of these tables?

I just skipped the idea of a dedicated game table and picked up a heavy 78x42" dining table set.  Got a couple tv tray/stands that can be moved around and used for holding dice trays or manuals off to the side, then pushed under the table or folded up when not in use.

Had checked prices on actual game tables, but even the basic ones are insane (and often smaller than I wanted).  The DIY route wasn't in the cards for me.  The table I got wasn't anywhere near as expensive as buying a gaming table but has been more than enough for my needs.

BanzaiCat

I'm nowhere near handy enough to do anything remotely this close. I'm more prone to just go to Academy and buy a folding table for $30.

GJK

That's a very nice looking table and a brilliant design for a table that you need to be able to fold up and roll out of the way (without getting a typical/cheap folding table).  My problem isn't space (so much) but the ability to keep a game set up and undisturbed for a period of time.  I'd like to expand and build a larger version of this table that I built (and love):  http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6028.0

I love to do woodworking and have used the snot out of my table saw!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

I have an upright piano in my home office I'd love to get rid of. In its place I want to put a gaming table but my wife won't let me do that. If I could find some kind of table I could put a game on that, as you said GJK, would remain undisturbed, it would be great - so maybe there's a table out there that will allow me to cover it with a top to make it look like a normal table. That might mollify Mrs. Perfect though I doubt it. She's so anti-game I have no idea why we remain married to this day.

GJK

Here's my simple plans for a gaming table:

Find a nice looking dining room or table of the size that you like at Goodwill or Salvation Army or the like. 

1. Then saw off 3" from each of the legs (optional - make sure that you'd be able to get your legs under the table first.  Adjust by taking less off or none at all if the table won't sit too high with the added 3" in the next step). 

2. Buy some cheap yet decent lumber to build 3" side walls around the table top.  Wood screws up from under the current table top in to the rails.  You can get fancy and make rabbet edges to interlock the rails or not.  That's up to you and your skill level. 

3. Next, the most expensive part is getting some nice pine or other soft wood planks to make a new table top.  In my example above, I have three planks that are removable to reveal the playing surface beneath.  I chose individual planks because it's easy to just store those in a corner or the closet while I'm playing whereas a large single piece will be heavy and unwieldy (perhaps).  That's up to you. 

4. On the underside of the new table top, glue/wood screw (careful on the length) some pieces to keep the table top from sliding around.  These will fit just inside the new railing that added to the original table.

Example: 

And voila!  A new cat proof/wife proof (maybe) table!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

^ Didn't you post this in another thread a while ago? I forgot about that until I saw this pic.

Great work, GJK! That might work. But first I gotta sell this stupid piano that's not tuned and weighs more than my house.

GJK

Yes, I have more pics of it in the "Real Wargaming" sticky thread.  It was stupid simple to make.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer