Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Well crap.  I had to end my game. I was busy exploring the edges of known space with both my science ships.  My empire was using hyperspace lanes to travel.  Anyway, there was a choke point system with a mess of angry space crystal critters so I sent my two biggest fleets to deal with them.  While they were fighting, some little pissant empire with wormhole travel jumped to a system behind me and built an outpost.  Because of the new borders, my fleets were now trapped and had no way to get back within my borders.  I tried to negotiate access but the AI wasn't having it.  I declared war, thumped their colonies easily, got my fleets home, and declared a white peace.  Then nearly every other empire in the game declared war on me and wiped me out.  Don't pick repugnant as your starting trait.  Seems like everyone hated my peaceful, scientific space Cthulhus. 

Kushan

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 15, 2016, 09:32:03 AM
Speaking of slower battles -- anyone using this mod?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682776251
Sounds like it makes battles less of a furball and maybe a little more meaningful - ?

Started using Beautiful Battles in an MP game with a friend last night, along with a couple of others for expanded traits, colors, and flags. Not much to say about Beautiful Battles, does exactly what it says it does and battles are a lot more cinematic IMO. if only there was an easy way to turn the UI on/off. I haven't seen and of the clumping you in vanilla battles. If you have shorter range weapons you actually have to care a little for your defenses if your going against opponents that can engage from farther out. Still not perfect, would like to see more variations in weapon ranges themselves. Highly recommend trying it out.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

jamus34

Funny, I created space Cthulus as my first race too, although my issues are more economy based rather than domination.
Insert witty comment here.

Rayfer

Quote from: jamus34 on May 15, 2016, 08:53:57 AM
Also, while ships aren't quite as precious as they are in Polaris Sector - once you get past the beginning designs and get better weapons, shields and armor it's worth it to slow combat down and pull ships out that are damaged and send 'em home. While they are out of the fight it's typically cheaper to do that than to lose them (I think)

Sounds like it makes battles less of a furball and maybe a little more meaningful - ?

I like the screenshots on Steam that show the same battle in vanilla game as compared to this mod.  I think I'll try it.  Thanks for posting.

panzerde

I looked at this a lot yesterday, but it seems that the author not only modded things for looks, but also changed some mechanics to the point where it really upsets balance and breaks things. I'm holding off until he makes further changes to restore balance.

Frankly, it seems like a lot of the mods available right now have similar issues.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Beowulf

Quote from: Kushan on May 15, 2016, 10:55:49 AM[...] if only there was an easy way to turn the UI on/off.

CTRL + F9 hides the UI.

Rayfer

Quote from: panzerde on May 15, 2016, 01:57:09 PM

I looked at this a lot yesterday, but it seems that the author not only modded things for looks, but also changed some mechanics to the point where it really upsets balance and breaks things. I'm holding off until he makes further changes to restore balance.

Frankly, it seems like a lot of the mods available right now have similar issues.

Thanks PZ...I didn't catch that when I perused the Steam mod site. I think I'll wait to see how this plays out.

Huw the Poo

Handy tip of the day: Don't fight too far behind enemy lines!  Otherwise you might find that when the war is over one or more of your fleets may be stuck until the next time you're able to declare war.  >:(

republic

I feel like I've only scratched the surface still...but I can't quite get over the fact that every 4x space game feels so empty compared to Distant Worlds.  While waiting for things to happen I'd click random civilian ships and figure out what was going on.  With Stellaris and every other 4x I just crank the time compression up and wait.  :\

Tanaka

Enjoying this thread and all the tips guys. Here is one I discovered. You can add weapon attachments to your land units when they are on a planet. You can also select which land units get the generals. Pretty cool.

Also if you login to your Paradox account on steam launch you get an extra bird race.

Freyland

jomni

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 15, 2016, 10:50:11 AM
Well crap.  I had to end my game. I was busy exploring the edges of known space with both my science ships.  My empire was using hyperspace lanes to travel.  Anyway, there was a choke point system with a mess of angry space crystal critters so I sent my two biggest fleets to deal with them.  While they were fighting, some little pissant empire with wormhole travel jumped to a system behind me and built an outpost.  Because of the new borders, my fleets were now trapped and had no way to get back within my borders.  I tried to negotiate access but the AI wasn't having it.  I declared war, thumped their colonies easily, got my fleets home, and declared a white peace.  Then nearly every other empire in the game declared war on me and wiped me out.  Don't pick repugnant as your starting trait.  Seems like everyone hated my peaceful, scientific space Cthulhus.

You may have lost but that was a nice story by the way.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tanaka on May 15, 2016, 06:36:53 PM
You can add weapon attachments to your land units when they are on a planet.

Good tip.  I am always forgetting to do this.  Although I only ever assault when the odds are hugely stacked in my favour anyway. ;)

JudgeDredd

I've stopped playing at the minute...stopped dead. Why? Because my cap of 3500 energy "credits" has been hit and I'm getting +9 a day(?)/month(?) and not being able to store them.

It's just a "mental block" thing...I don't want to be losing credits because I can't store them The fact I've got 3500 should make me happy and the fact that I am not going under that should also be good enough, but I hate the idea of losing energy credits  :(
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

JD, cant you just build something additional pratical like mines, observation posts or enhance buildings on planets to consume those 9 credits overflow ? (well you might lack the minerals to do so)