Traveller & Star Trek RPG

Started by bbmike, June 13, 2015, 06:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Looked through one of my 'old stuff' boxes today and found this:

I'm thinking about using the Mythic Game Master Emulator that gameleaper posted about here to play one or both of these.
I haven't opened either one yet but I now there's more inside than what was included with the original boxes. In fact, I think my original RPG dice are inside the Star Trek box.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

I've been eyeing the latest version of Traveller, along with the 2300AD sourcebook for it, because I thought both were pretty good long ago (along with MegaTraveller).  But I've filled up on some new RPGs lately so they'll have to wait.

Double Deuce

Haven't played Traveller since the original back in high school. I though about trying to get back into it but not sure I want to go for the newer versions or try collecting the old books off ebay. I have heard that the Mongoose version is based off the original Traveller rules and one of the best versions out there.

Dammit Carl!

Neat.

I managed to find two copies of the Traveller rulebook which was a hardback version of the boxed set minus the other bits (I think) wilst trolling through used bookstores a few years back (and two copies of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia later on).  Always admired how clean seeming everything was before the ever increasing complexity starting being piled onto the Traveller universe.

Having said that, I utterly loved the MegaTraveller mileu; the apocalyptic galactic civil war appealed to my angry, angsty teen self.

I got a copy of the Star Trek game at yet another store and it not only had the dice, the catalog, and the rules but it had both maps of the Fed. Cruiser and Klingon Destroyer (1/4 scale?) for miniatures use as well as two sourcebooks from later on in the game line.  Good haul that day.

From the bits I've seen, the Mongoose version isn't half bad.  They have certainly put out plenty of support materials for the game, so big ups on them for that

p.s. I'd be so down for a 2300 game; need to check into that stuff..

Nefaro

I cherished the old multi-colored MegaTraveller box in my youth.  It was pretty high quality stuff at the time.  That big hex map with all the star systems, and their types, was awesome as were the rest of the contents.

Also owned the boxed 2300AD from GDW.  I recall the setting info being rather thin in that core set, but thinking that the [notably combat?] mechanics were kinda cool.  I got the impression that the 2300AD timeline was an extension from the Twilight 2000 one, after things had returned to normal progress and early star'sploration (with a slight dose of Heinlen's bugs as alien enemies).

I'm almost afraid of checking out the 2300AD setting for the latest Traveller system since some of the old mechanics I liked (but don't quite recall) aren't going to be there.  While Traveller had a lot going for it, I don't recall it having a very innovative skill/combat resolution system.  Might seem like a downgrade in parts.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Nefaro on June 19, 2015, 10:18:52 AM
I cherished the old multi-colored MegaTraveller box in my youth.  It was pretty high quality stuff at the time.  That big hex map with all the star systems, and their types, was awesome as were the rest of the contents.

Also owned the boxed 2300AD from GDW.  I recall the setting info being rather thin in that core set, but thinking that the [notably combat?] mechanics were kinda cool.  I got the impression that the 2300AD timeline was an extension from the Twilight 2000 one, after things had returned to normal progress and early star'sploration (with a slight dose of Heinlen's bugs as alien enemies).

Yup.  2300AD was an extension of the Twilight 2000 timeline but didn't use the same system - also got tagged with the Traveller surname at some point which just went to confuse the whole damn thing further on down the line.

Kind of interesting about all the things they had up in the air during GDW's heyday; I know I certainly added to their bottom line with all the things I bought bearing the GDW tag (being an unabashed GDW fanboy).

I need to pull the 2300 spaceship combat set out and take a gander at that one of these days...

bbmike

One of the things I forgot about classic Traveller was how short the rules are. The three books are tiny! But that's also what's great about it.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Hmm, that's dated 1987 so I should remember it...  ???
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

I still have my Star Trek RPG from FASA. Just the books; sadly the box didn't survive. I remember spending hours just generating characters because I loved the character creation system so much.

Dammit Carl!

Gentlemen:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/TravellerLBBs

Now is the time to "get it on," per se.

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pinetree

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 20, 2015, 07:17:57 PM
I still have my Star Trek RPG from FASA. Just the books; sadly the box didn't survive. I remember spending hours just generating characters because I loved the character creation system so much.
Yeah me too. I would also use the Star Fleet Technical Manual and assign them ships for each assignment.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Dammit Carl!

Any word on the quality of these books (meaning the bundleofholding stuff)?

My sci-fi rpg collection is, outside of the aforementioned Traveller hardbacks, is lacking in the classic Traveller realm - I started my time with GDW via MegaTraveller, so I'm broken to start with.  I need to fix this.