How about a Savage Worlds Play by Post game?

Started by Double Deuce, August 07, 2016, 12:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

Honestly, I'd be down for whatever "group," goes - so no vote for me.

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 12, 2016, 03:03:01 PM
Honestly, I'd be down for whatever "group," goes - so no vote for me.

Yeah, the chosen group isn't so important in this case. 

I figured it'd be whichever situation sounds fun to the GM.  Players as "freedom fighters" or hunting down filthy rebels.   Or just out for profit  & power?  It's all good.

(I did vote Celt-ish rebels.. because rebels vs vikings)  :))

Double Deuce

Ok then, I'll generate a couple of Jarin PC's for everyone to choose from, post them, and we can go from there.

Nefaro

Quote from: Double Deuce on August 12, 2016, 11:22:06 PM
Ok then, I'll generate a couple of Jarin PC's for everyone to choose from, post them, and we can go from there.

With Savage World pre-gens, I still suggest getting the players to select their Hindrances since those can inspire some amusing roleplay, are supposed to be a way to get more Bennies from the GM if RP'd well, but can be a downer if the player gets stuck with Hindrances he doesn't feel like RP'ing. 

Possibly the extra Edges too, beyond any required Arcane Background ones needed for casters. 

But certainly the Hindrances.  They can really provide some personality & humor, along with instigating the occasional Bad Stuff™.   >:D    RP'ing being an incessant braggart in public, a delusional nutter, or just plain exceptionally ugly can stir up some fun.

Double Deuce

Quote from: Nefaro on August 13, 2016, 09:00:09 AM
Quote from: Double Deuce on August 12, 2016, 11:22:06 PM

With Savage World pre-gens, I still suggest getting the players to select their Hindrances since those can inspire some amusing roleplay, are supposed to be a way to get more Bennies from the GM if RP'd well, but can be a downer if the player gets stuck with Hindrances he doesn't feel like RP'ing. 

Possibly the extra Edges too, beyond any required Arcane Background ones needed for casters. 

But certainly the Hindrances.  They can really provide some personality & humor, along with instigating the occasional Bad Stuff™.   >:D    RP'ing being an incessant braggart in public, a delusional nutter, or just plain exceptionally ugly can stir up some fun.

Good point. I think I'll post the test drive rules which should have that information or I may just post the different lists directly into the forums for players to choose from.

Double Deuce

For anyone needing them, I added a link to the Test Drive Rules in the 1st post of this thread > http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17604.msg461282#msg461282

bbmike

Hindrances and edges? This is sounding very GURPS-ish to me. Mind you, I like GURPS.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Double Deuce

Quote from: bbmike on August 14, 2016, 08:10:41 AM
Hindrances and edges? This is sounding very GURPS-ish to me. Mind you, I like GURPS.

Yeah, they are similar in that way. Edge's are like feats in D&D and advantages in GURPS (iirc) and Hindrances are like in disadvantages in GURPS. I will post a list once I post the pregen PC's that way people can choose which they want and then tweak with the extra choices to flesh them out further.

Double Deuce

Test posting  . . .   8)

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
Cleric of Ilvir
Human Male - Novice ( 0 xp)

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 6, Parry: 5, Sanity: 5, Toughness: 5
Skills: Climbing d4, Fighting d6, Healing d4, Investigation d6, Knowledge (Animalcraft (Ivashu)) d4, Knowledge (Script (Khruni)) d8, Knowledge (Script (Harnic)) d8, Knowledge (Language (Harnic)) d8, Knowledge (Language (Ivashu)) d4, Notice d4, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Throwing d4
Edges: Extra Edge (Racial), Arcane Background
Arcane Background: Miracles

Power Points: 10

Powers:
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

Double Deuce

Another test . . .

Yeoman

Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 6, Parry: 4, Sanity: 6, Toughness: 5
Skills: Climbing d4, Fighting d4, Knowledge (Language (Harnic)) d4, Notice d4, Persuasion d4, Shooting d4, Stealth d4, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Throwing d4
Edges: Extra Edge (Racial)

Double Deuce

And a 3rd . . .

Laborer

Attributes: Agility d4, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d10, Vigor d4
Pace: 6, Parry: 4, Sanity: 6, Toughness: 4
Skills: Climbing d6, Fighting d4, Knowledge (Language (Harnic)) d6, Knowledge (Singing) d4, Notice d4, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Streetwise d6, Throwing d4

Double Deuce

And a 4th . . .

Hunter/Trapper

Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Pace: 6, Parry: 5, Sanity: 5, Toughness: 5
Skills: Climbing d4, Fighting d6, Investigation d6, Knowledge (Knowledge (Fletching)) d6, Knowledge (Knowledge (Foraging)) d4, Knowledge (Language (Harnic)) d6, Notice d4, Persuasion d4, Shooting d4, Survival d4, Throwing d4, Tracking d6

Double Deuce

The previous 4 postings are 'draft' pregen PC's. I included a Cleric but am not really up on Magic in Savage Worlds sot hat PC may not be available. I am working on another, Hunter/Trapper type, a local tribesman who will be acting as a scout, somewhat familiar with the area you will be going.

Nefaro

Quote from: Double Deuce on August 14, 2016, 03:26:01 PM
The previous 4 postings are 'draft' pregen PC's. I included a Cleric but am not really up on Magic in Savage Worlds sot hat PC may not be available. I am working on another, Hunter/Trapper type, a local tribesman who will be acting as a scout, somewhat familiar with the area you will be going.

The base Magic system isn't anything difficult. 

While the various Arcane Backgrounds may have some very slight differences, the spells pretty much work the same way.  They even share the same master spell list, although most settings limit the different casters to a specific subset of spells.

Default just has you spending your Power Points for what the spell costs, sometimes with an optional extra spend listed in the spell description (for more targets, more damage, etc).  Boom goes the dynamite. 

The core rules also has the optional spell system which ditches the Power Points for a spellcasting skill roll and adds damage/fatigue/shaken as backlash for miscasts.  For those of us who like their sorcery to be a dangerous gamble.  ^-^

Doubt I'll be joining in on this terribly soon.  Re-reading Savage Worlds & setting stuff, my first GM session with it coming in the next few days.  Plus my reading, assembly, and painting prep for some Check Your 6! action in the future.  Lotsa rules and prep getting baked into my grey matter right now.  :buck2:  Definitely wanna join some sessions with you guys before long, though.

Nefaro

You keeping this on the back burner, DD?  Still toying with the concept?