Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Mine's SDRobot I think.  Honestly, I've hardly touched it since I got it.  Too busy playing WarThunder and Wasteland 2 at the moment. 

Yskonyn

As I wasn't a backer I've been 'born' in system LHS 3447. Do you guys have a specific procedure for finding our lucrative missions in the vicinity of your location or is it just a matter of randomly checking stations and seeing what the BBoard has on offer?

Oh and do any of you know why sometimes you can request docking clearance all you want, but the station will keep on denying your request. I do not have illegal goods on board, just trying to deliver some resources they should be importing.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 29, 2014, 10:36:57 PM
Is there any reason to keep the stock basic Discovery Scanner in a Viper that I have built into a near perfect killing machine?

first thing i always bin on the SW and Hauler - never had a problem

Have you hunted any players or just NPCs?

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 30, 2014, 02:25:42 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 29, 2014, 06:01:07 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2014, 04:00:47 PM
I've only got one refinery and it takes an age to mine. I don't recall making anywhere near that.

You mentioned 3 metals, one of which (and the lowliest) was gold - I couldn't find any where I was. All I could find was silver (in small amounts) and other lesser metals.

I'm sure if you can find Gold, Palladium(?) and Platinum(?) then you can make that kind of money.

Are you mining metallic rings or metal rings

I don't know. I went to and Extraction point and started extracting. My latest foray ended in nothing because it was just crappy metals. Nothing pretty like Gold  :-\

I didn't know there was a difference - I thought it was pot luck what came out of what asteroid field (though I was aware that an asteroid field contained the same kind of metals in their asteroids)

dont go to extraction points - look for systems with ring clusters around the sun and planets, each ring has cluster A, B and C for you to go mine in. In the system map of the place you choose you will see the rings and they will be marked metallic or metal or rocky or ice - you want metallic, and the abundance of minerals is dictated by the reserves section - it will be common, major, pristine - ideally you want pristine - the chunks will contain more metal (sometimes 50-60 instead of 15-20) but avoid common or lower as the mineral packages will be small. That and most pirates are looking for you in extraction points, in rings youll be left in peace

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 30, 2014, 04:55:00 AM

Oh and do any of you know why sometimes you can request docking clearance all you want, but the station will keep on denying your request. I do not have illegal goods on board, just trying to deliver some resources they should be importing.

As far as I know, the only reason you will be denied docking clearance is if you are too far from the staton. You must be less than 7.50km from the station in order to receive approval.

I think you might also be denied if the station is full, but the far more common reason is he above. Check it out.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

ive had it when all landing pads are full if its a very popular port

and ive heard that bigger ships cant dock at some outposts, this makes me think the bigger ships have bigger pads in the big stations, if this is so, then they will be limited and if full of NPCs or other players you need one to become available

Jarhead0331

JD...maybe you are thinking too big. You seem to do that in games, get lost or overwhelmed and then Frustrated.

I started by accepting small simple courier missions. It was the safest and quickest way to make a profit. It also got me out of my shell and forced me to travel to new systems that my ship could safely reach, learning my neighborhood and getting me out to new local hubs and stations. I would earn 3,000 here and 4,000 there. Occasionally, there would be a mission that would net me 5,000 or 10,000. The courier missions are great because you don't even need to buy the commodity. The client loads it on your ship and all you do is deliver on time. Moreover, if you can accept the mission, then your ship can reach the destination without running out of fuel.

Slowly, as I got more comfortable, I started investigating unidentified signals or even attacking a random traveller who popped up as wanted in between runs. Before I knew it, I was averaging between 15,000 and 30,000 credits per run. It's not the most glamorous way to make a living, but it got me into a kick ass viper and I should probably have a cobra before the end of the week.

Sometimes I'll get to a station and there will be no missions for me to take. Sometimes I'll travel pretty far without collecting any bounties. It's frustrating, but that is the game, just as it is life. Running missions, trading, mining, hunting, if you think about it, it's actually work. Sometimes it's a drag, but it usually ends up being enjoyable for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 30, 2014, 06:24:03 AM

Sometimes I'll get to a station and there will be no missions for me to take. Sometimes I'll travel pretty far without collecting any bounties. It's frustrating, but that is the game, just as it is life. Running missions, trading, mining, hunting, if you think about it, it's actually work. Sometimes it's a drag, but it usually ends up being enjoyable for me.

You just accept the odd empty run then? How do you choose where to go? Or is it just a matter of the end result of a courier mission?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

Help I can't land on Trevithick dock even if I am center (all blue).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 30, 2014, 08:01:58 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 30, 2014, 06:24:03 AM

You just accept the odd empty run then? How do you choose where to go? Or is it just a matter of the end result of a courier mission?

Sure. Flying around and not making a profit, and perhaps even taking a loss due to overhead is a fact of the game. It's rare that I end up totally empty handed, but when it does happen it is not a big deal.

If I end up at a station that has no missions to run, sometimes I'll exit the game for awhile and do something else. Come back in a few minutes later and see if there are any other opportunities. If not, I may leave the station and just head somewhere else at random. Either another station in the same system, or a new system altogether.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on December 30, 2014, 08:10:18 AM
Help I can't land on Trevithick dock even if I am center (all blue).

Are you backwards? You can only approach the pad from one direction. The blast shield should be behind you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 30, 2014, 03:46:26 AM
Jarhead, Mikeck, UCG, you all need to accept my friend request still.  O:-) If you didn't get it, please shoot one to me at Yskonyn

SirAndrewD, SilentDisapprovalRobot and MikeGER what are your handles in Elite?

CMDR P.Q. Taggart.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mikeck

Friend request on what site? steam? If it is for delete specifically I only play solo mode which may explain why I haven't seen it. Last time I tried open play I lasted five minutes in my brand-new cobra before some dickhead decided to blow me up when I was trying to dock
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

JD, I agree with jar head in that you have to start out small. I just picked up some missions here and there and then found my way to an extraction point in the rings of a nearby planet. There are tons of pirates and guys with bounties flying around there along with security services. I would wait for either a sidewinder with the bounty and go after it myself or find a cobra with the bounty, wait for the security services to attack and takedown of shields and then I would jump in for the kill take the bounty. Once I had about 30,000 in bounty Belchers I would head back to the station to cash them in.

After a few hours I had enough for a shiny new viper
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Great Ajax

Just got started a couple of days ago even though I pre-ordered.  Just found out that I had a free Eagle sitting in a shipyard - sweet!  My handle is 'Heydte'.

Trey

Quote from: SirAndrewD on December 30, 2014, 10:26:48 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on December 30, 2014, 03:46:26 AM
Jarhead, Mikeck, UCG, you all need to accept my friend request still.  O:-) If you didn't get it, please shoot one to me at Yskonyn

SirAndrewD, SilentDisapprovalRobot and MikeGER what are your handles in Elite?

CMDR P.Q. Taggart.