Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Adder sounds like a good goal -- Cobra is way more expensive than I thought (after looking a little more on the Elite wikia).

Courier missions sound just right -- but for some reason they are very hard to come by -- I've taken only two after visiting a several different stations/outposts and checking the bulletins multiple times -- other 'available' missions are just suicide or involve trips to systems way, way outside my range. I don't quite get why these are available for someone of my "Harmless across the board" class . ?

undercovergeek

youll find most murder/death/kill missions come from lawless planets or planets with little security and outposts - find a nice fat hi tech world were theyre much more concerned with normal trade and youll be away - whereabouts are you?

sandman2575

(Does everyone start in the same system?)  I'm mostly centered at the Yaping station in LHS 3447, Federation space.

Jarhead0331

Stick with the courier missions until you get comfortable. They are simple runs typically that don't require you to acquire goods. Think "Fedex in Space"...you accept the mission, the goods get loaded onto your ship and your job is to transport them safely to the requested destination. Usually, you can double or triple courier runs which lead to the same station or system.

Once you get some money saved up you can jump into a more dedicated ship, whether its one for combat (ie. Eagle) or trade (ie. Hauler). Start upgrading your second ship (don't waste the funds on a Sidewinder) and the diversity of the missions you can accept will ramp up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

I play in Open Play (MP) exclusively and in my experience people tend to overstate its too dangerous. Its really not and besides a lot more exciting to know (and see) other players are around.
The reports of massive, annoying interdiction and griefing going on is either an overreaction, just being scared about the possibility or having bad luck with choosing you system to do business in. :)

I have been interdicted far more by NPC's than other players.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Mad Russian

Where is this game at the moment?

I have a Grandson that is VERY INTERESTED in this.

Thanks.

Good Hunting to all you dangerous pilots!!

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

sandman2575

Thanks for the advice, all -- am up to 120K credits... on my way to an Adder   O0

@MadRussian -- ED is definitely a fully matured game at this point -- I played a bit when the launch candidate came out, but didn't put much time into it. Coming back to it now some months later, I'm extremely impressed at the state of the game. And it will soon receive a major expansion with the Horizons add-on (though not sure when Frontier is going to release that for Steam).

undercovergeek

Quote from: Mad Russian on October 23, 2015, 06:32:02 PM
Where is this game at the moment?

I have a Grandson that is VERY INTERESTED in this.

Thanks.

Good Hunting to all you dangerous pilots!!

MR

It's due a massive update soon - I would wait for that as you'll end up buying the game twice effectively

Mad Russian

Thanks.

I appreciate the advice. How soon before this massive update shows up on radar?

good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Kushan

About 100,000 credits short of being able to upgrade from my Cobra to a base model Asp. Probably get another 1 or two million credits before I buy it so I have enough money to outfit it and rebuy if something untoward happens. Really looking forward to having the extra hard points and slightly larger cargo capacity.

Quote from: Mad Russian on October 31, 2015, 11:40:51 PM
Thanks.

I appreciate the advice. How soon before this massive update shows up on radar?

good Hunting.

MR

Last I heard Fall/Winter of this year.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Yskonyn

Its anywhere from now (Halloween) till Newyear's Eve.
The official statement is release during Holiday Season. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Kushan

Broke down and bought an Asp. After reading some ship reviews I decided to keep my Cobra for bounty hunting and combat missions and outfit the Asp as a pure explorer. Going to keep the two pulse cannons in case I run into space hamsters and I doubt they're will be any places to rearm on the journey I have planned. Lots of things I'd like to see. I know its been done already but I'd love to go to the galactic core. But more then that I'd love to see areas of the galaxy no one else has seen yet and get my name on the system map for first discovery. So once outfitted properly, I think I'm going to make for the other side of the galaxy via moving down the spiral arm we start on and spiraling out.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Yskonyn

We just got our own Faction in the game! Very cool!
Have been busting our asses to get an AI Faction in a powerful position in our area and that had been rewarded with replacing it in name with our own!

I also want to start exploring, but the work on the Faction has pretty much put All my other plans on hold.
With power comes resonsibility, so at this point we need to keep working to remain the powerhouse in our sector. Aside from the odd Commander trying to cross us, there isn't much trouble.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 02, 2015, 12:42:48 AM
We just got our own Faction in the game! Very cool!
Have been busting our asses to get an AI Faction in a powerful position in our area and that had been rewarded with replacing it in name with our own!

I also want to start exploring, but the work on the Faction has pretty much put All my other plans on hold.
With power comes resonsibility, so at this point we need to keep working to remain the powerhouse in our sector. Aside from the odd Commander trying to cross us, there isn't much trouble.

Is the deposed commander human or AI?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Human. After the announcement of our in-game faction was made on the Frontier forums, we saw a spike in human controlled traffic poking their heads into our region. Not by masses, a few here and there, and sometimes a group.
The groups need prompt reaction from our side, because they can seriously undo our hard work in a few days if left unchecked. Not so that we loose our faction, but enough to cause headaches.

Of course the AI tries to balance power in the region as well. But as far as I understand it, the AI will only work towards equilibrium, not actively work to let a specific faction rise in influence.