Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlickJax

What do you mean by just the base game?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FlickJax on November 26, 2015, 05:24:00 AM

It's simply the original game without the Horizons content.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

And you can't buy Horizons as an addon or DLC.  Horizons includes the base game and the new expansions.

FlickJax

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 26, 2015, 05:57:51 AM

And you can't buy Horizons as an addon or DLC.  Horizons includes the base game and the new expansions.

gotcha ta

Panman

Thanks for the heads up ... that would have been a nasty surprise

Rayfer

Quote from: Panman on November 26, 2015, 10:21:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up ... that would have been a nasty surprise
+1....a big thanks. Had this on my Steam wish list for awhile but having read this news I'm going to wait. I wonder why they won't offer Horizons as an add-on?

Toonces

Guys, apologies if this has been answered before.

Can I activate my Elite game that I bought through the Elite site on Steam, kind of like Matrix games?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Yes you can. You can get a one time Steam key.
Particulars are found on the forums on how to proceed. Just be aware that you'll still be stuck with the launcher for updating so there is no real benefit other than Steam community.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 26, 2015, 05:46:49 AM

It's simply the original game without the Horizons content.

So I was looking at this - so what you are saying JH is that Horizons is essentially a different game ? Bit confused as to what they are selling here ...
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

undercovergeek

Original game = original game

Horizons = massively updated all new bells and whistles game

Yskonyn

Horizons is elite 2.0.
Just like MMO's work with expansions.

You are locked out of content if you don't buy it.
Nothing new here.

But the problem is for those who are new players; they have 2 options:
Play the game now and buy Elite: Dangerous and then buy Horizons seperately.
Or pay only once and wait until Horizons ships.
The weird thing is that people who buy Horizons now get access to the whole experience after Horizons launches, but are not able to play Elite Dangerous (base game) right now, even if they can after Horizons releases .
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Yeah. It's a little bizarre how they are integrating the Horizons content into the original elite experience. It seems only logical to sell horizons as a separate add on or expansion. The way they are doing it seems to screw customers who bought elite after it left beta phase, while also presenting a dilemma to people who want to buy the game now.

I do feel bad for people who are interested in getting the game now, the best option, from a dollars and cents perspective, is to wait until horizons is released, but the wait can be hard!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Do the beta buyers get New Horizons for free?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath