Any 'real' Operational level Wargames out there?

Started by SteveV, January 12, 2013, 09:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveV

Just checked out the Decisive Campaigns forums, they both look like nice games but in the AAR's the players are taking 90 minutes to set up their turns...If there was something similar that only took around twenty minutes per turn that would be ideal!

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Quote from: MetalDog on January 12, 2013, 11:00:47 AM
I thought of HOI as well initially.  I haven't invested any time in it at all, so I can't speak to the function you described.  It would be nice to watch all that play out though.

I'm told that HOI3's military command still requires healthy doses of micro-management, else your AI generals will not carry out your orders very well at all.

I've been wanting to fire that up, and dig deep into it, but such a heavy need of micro'ing the military side hasn't encouraged me enough yet.

Toonces

Well, I'm going to guess we're looking for a land wargame as opposed to sea, but doesn't want of NWS's games have mechanics similar to what we're describing, where you can set what level of the OOB you want to control and the computer AI does the rest?  Supremecy at Sea?  I haven't played it yet.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Al

I would recommend Strategic Command WW2 or WW1 from Battlefront.  They both have some economic/resource items that you have to control but I found them easier and simpler to manage than say HOI.  Matrix also has Commander The Great War that has a tough AI and has received good reviews.  These games haev you moving corps sized units around.

Another series that doesn't get much attention is HPS Total War in Europe.  You'd be moving divisions around but there is no resource allocation to control.  The number of units to move around is not that bad and there are scenarios of different sizes included.  I found the AI to be the best of all the HPS games  Right now there are only two in the series - one covers the early western front and the other the Med theater including N Africa, Sicily and the Balkans.

Just my opinion.
Al

Keunert

DC Warsaw to Paris will be 30 minutes a turn once you know the game. Case Blue maybe will take 45 minutes. both games are great and feel operational.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

spelk

Quote from: SteveV on January 12, 2013, 12:41:26 PM
Just checked out the Decisive Campaigns forums, they both look like nice games but in the AAR's the players are taking 90 minutes to set up their turns...If there was something similar that only took around twenty minutes per turn that would be ideal!

There are smaller scenarios in Decisive Campaigns, or you could go for Advanced Tactics Gold and the custom database of scenarios there. If you have an android device there are a few games available that might suffice, or at least be on the same scale and unit count that you're looking for (Small General, Joni Nuutinen's conflict series, DK simulations wargame series). If you have an iOS device try Shenandoah Studio's Battle of the Bulge maybe?

I was also going to suggest Schwerpunkt's titles, because the unit counts are not too excessive.

What you're looking for is a custom built game that would suit all of your tastes, I'd say most wargamers have these sort of ideals, but in such a niche as we are, you're often left with compromises and you go with the best one that ticks most of your boxes.

Personally Decisive Campaigns is as good as it gets for me, with Schwerpunkt's stuff and Command Ops coming up close behind. These are the operational titles I keep going back to.

Toonces

I was thinking about this some more and an old game from Simulations Canada called Red Sky at Morning is very much like what you're describing.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SteveV

Thanks for all replies, I must admit I was a little tempted by the HPS Panzer campaign games, even though the graphics are dated and they focus on individual battles (or mini campaigns I suppose)..do they run ok on Windows 7?

I think I will go with the decisive campaign games, the interface looks user friendly and from reading some excellent AAR's (thanks Keunert!) they don't seem too overwhelming.

Bison

If you are open to conflicts outside of WW2, I'd recommend you look at Ageod titles.  Excellent operational games with limited strategic management.

SteveV

I have the AGEOD Miltary Strategies pack but never installed it...It looks like the ACW game may be just what I am looking for , thanks for the tip!

Anguille

What about Airborne Assault: red devils over Arnhem?

Staggerwing

I don't think you can fine 'Red Devils' anymore. 'AA: Highway to the Reich' is the followup game and is still for sale. FWIW SteveV did mention that he had tried the even later 'Battles from the Bulge' in the same series.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Anguille

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 13, 2013, 09:20:28 AM
I don't think you can fine 'Red Devils' anymore. 'AA: Highway to the Reich' is the followup game and is still for sale. FWIW SteveV did mention that he had tried the even later 'Battles from the Bulge' in the same series.

Oh...it's the only game i have from them and keep on playing.

Maybe HistWar: Les Grognards? It's more high level than Scourge of war.

SteveV

Quote from: Anguille on January 13, 2013, 09:24:25 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 13, 2013, 09:20:28 AM

Oh...it's the only game i have from them and keep on playing.

Maybe HistWar: Les Grognards? It's more high level than Scourge of war.

I had a look at HistWar but its really just a single battle game and something like the Napoleon Total War experience...