Microsoft Flight Simulator...

Started by Jarhead0331, June 09, 2019, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Thrilled to exceed the ideal specs!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: steve58 on July 14, 2020, 02:30:35 PM
Coming August 18th, available now for pre-order.

https://onemileatatime.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/

I'll stick with the GamePass version to start since include already...those other prices a little steep for my use.

Toonces

TBPH (To Be Perfectly Honest  8) ) I'd wait and let this stew for a few months to a year.  The 3rd party stuff is where MSFS shines, IMHO.  The PMDG 737 for example blows the sox off of anything in stock MSFS.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

I mean, if you're a casual then it's probably a great deal out of the box.  Once I started adding scenery, weather, ATC, and all that other stuff to my FSX installation I could never go stock again.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tripoli

Quote from: Toonces on July 14, 2020, 05:32:11 PM
I mean, if you're a casual then it's probably a great deal out of the box.  Once I started adding scenery, weather, ATC, and all that other stuff to my FSX installation I could never go stock again.

I agree.  I flew  FSX until I finally replaced it with P3D4.  A2A's aircraft are incredible, and the other add ons you can get.  I just don't see flying the new FS until the add-ons catch up to it, which will probably be in a 12-18 months.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Toonces

I never even upgraded to P3D.  I personally never experienced the FSX memory leak crash, but I heard enough about it to believe it's real.

Frankly, FSX had everything I want...except: ATC.  The ATC is good.  But damn, try to fly IFR with vectors into ATL and you'll see what I mean.  ATC could never, ever flow me into there without a waveoff.  It's only frustrating because for about a year I flew for Delta Virtual Airlines, which obviously hubs out of ATL.  I preferred (personally) to fly vectors to final with ATC rather than execute the SID/STARS with no ATC...that's just me.  I find the ATC experience more fulfilling and MSFX ATC can't do SID/STARs.  There was an ATC mod you could buy, but then you didn't get ground vectors which I found essential without actual charts for the airports.  So....

Therefore, I just never upgraded, and I don't personally want to buy this until it's been fleshed out by the 3rd parties.  Heck, I might even say 2 years of brewing; it depends on how long ago the big time modders have had this build.  Stock is not where it's at, if you have a couple hundred + invested in add-ons.  I did, and I'm not even hardcore.

Skoop

^ Thats a good call, and I also suspect it'll go on half off sale in a year.

Grim.Reaper

but if you do have the game pass it is included in that package so no need to make any kind of extra purchase unless you immediately want the additional planes and airports.  so for me that base version is enough to try it out without any additional purchase.  i am not a big flight simulator fan but the previews released does have me curious to try it out especially if all i need to do is install it from my existing subscription. 

if i didn't own the game pass it probably wouldn't be a first day purchase for me....

Yskonyn

Quote from: Skoop on July 16, 2020, 12:24:07 AM
^ Thats a good call, and I also suspect it'll go on half off sale in a year.

Yet everyone will not be able to contain himself and have it installed right on releaseday regardless. Mark my words. If not that, then surely shortly after. 😂
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Tomorrow is the release day, although it likely will take me a day to download it since like 125GB:(

glen55

Quote from: Toonces on July 14, 2020, 05:31:20 PM
TBPH (To Be Perfectly Honest  8) ) I'd wait and let this stew for a few months to a year.  The 3rd party stuff is where MSFS shines, IMHO.  The PMDG 737 for example blows the sox off of anything in stock MSFS.

Well really, it's a good idea these days to let almost every game sit for a year or so. The technology is not changing that rapidly the way it was 20-30 years ago.

But I think the main draw of the new FS is that it has a detailed map of THE WHOLE WORLD. That's why I already pre-ordered, which I rarely do--even though it's going to be a while before I can really sink my fangs in. I just know that a whole-world flight sim is something that it will make me very happy just to own.

There are a million specific places I want to fly over. Like, e.g., up The Slot from Henderson to Rabaul.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Toonces

I'm going to be living vicariously from y'all for at least a while.  I broke down my HOTAS and have no intent to re-install anytime soon.  Not saying forever, just not for now.  I can't wait to see the vids, though.

Grim.Reaper

Downloading now...it will be awhile.  I didn't purchase it, comes included with my GamePass subscription so low risk for me, especially since I usually stink at these things....we'll see.