New WW1 game coming from Ageod?

Started by steve58, March 29, 2014, 03:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Nefaro on March 31, 2014, 02:13:37 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 31, 2014, 01:35:37 PM
I will tell you in ACW2, for larger battles, you are given a choice of formations and tactics to choose from

Yeah, that's something new in Civil War 2.  I'm glad they're expanding the battle interaction, although it's not a big fancy system yet.

If they ever added a hex-based battle system like that used in the Great Battles Collection, I'd be in wargamer Valhalla.  :D

I had similar thoughts when I got Forge of Freedom, which has the strategic game and then the option to play out battles on a hex grid. But for me it didn't click. I wanted to move the strategic game along, which alone takes many, many hours of game play time, so I always resolved battles with one of the two quick resolution methods.

Tuna

I loved FoF's tactical battles.. yeah it took a lil while to 'click'. but once it did, it was great fun.. Don't know why I never got into Crown of Glory.

WallysWorld

Quote from: Tuna on March 31, 2014, 05:44:07 PM
I loved FoF's tactical battles.. yeah it took a lil while to 'click'. but once it did, it was great fun.. Don't know why I never got into Crown of Glory.

If only those two games had higher resolution and not just 1280x1024, I would play both a lot more.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Nefaro

Quote from: Rayfer on March 31, 2014, 03:41:45 PM

I had similar thoughts when I got Forge of Freedom, which has the strategic game and then the option to play out battles on a hex grid. But for me it didn't click. I wanted to move the strategic game along, which alone takes many, many hours of game play time, so I always resolved battles with one of the two quick resolution methods.

I thought the tactical wargame side of things a bit thin on mechanics in those.  Didn't feel like there was much difference between how one unit behaved from another.  But then I'm comparing it to a system with classical warfare, which featured many different specialized unit types.  That's not so much the case in the 18th & 19th century battles.  So I'd much rather have this in something like AJE/BOR where there is a good amount of variety and specific uses & behaviors for the unit types.

JasonPratt

Not sure about CoG:EE (I have it but like Wally and Tuna I've never been able to get into it despite loving FoF), but in my experience the units in FoF do fight differently from one another. They just have to be kitted with distinct upgrades, and that takes some time to accomplish.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 01, 2014, 07:25:27 AM
Not sure about CoG:EE (I have it but like Wally and Tuna I've never been able to get into it despite loving FoF), but in my experience the units in FoF do fight differently from one another. They just have to be kitted with distinct upgrades, and that takes some time to accomplish.

IIRC...you can do that in the advanced game settings....I've only ever played at intermediate (I think that's what it's called?) level where you don't research weapons upgrades, etc. 

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Slick Wilhelm

This is certainly great news. I've been waiting with bated breath for the AGE engine to make its way to WWI.

I'm slightly concerned at the scope, though. If you recall, the AGE engine didn't seem to work very well on a global level(pr0n, anyone?). It seems to me to work best on a country or region level.

I'm also interested in how they're going to handle the war at sea with the AGE engine.

JasonPratt

Pr0n also notably approached the time period involved.

But it's certainly worth trying again. :)