Matrix Holdiday Sales - Now available

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 25, 2015, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2015, 10:36:43 AM
No-one interested in World in Flames at $70? It's 30% off.  :2funny:

Most games that don't work out for me I don't get mad over....but that game....worst experience ever with a game.  I think it was because of all the expectations, high price tag, and it being touted as a premiere game.  No idea how that game ever made it out of testing and although work continues on it, can't imagine it will ever be complete.  Can't imagine even trying it now because I would be scared to death that I would get to the 4th year and encounter some crazy bug.  That is one game that Matrix should have provided refunds to customers if they wanted them.  If it ever gets "complete" and working, the technology likely will be out dated anyways.

Way to bring up a negative vibe in a happy holiday thread:)

panzerde

Quote from: -budd- on November 26, 2015, 10:04:16 AM
worked for me no problem. Full screen, zoomed with mouse, drag with mouse click and hold. The links to video's don't work for me though. Been through the list, considered a few, then came to my senses. Only one i'm really looking at is FOG, but the info is all over the place regarding an upgraded version coming out soon. I posted over at slitherine so maybe some one can clue me in. There is some good deals on good games, i just have them all. :D

I would avoid FOG like the plague. Aside from the fact that it has effectively no AI, Matrix just won't support the game anymore. With all of the different expansions and modules it's a big PITA to get upgraded and running. If you email Matrix support about it, they'll just ignore it.

I think a lot of the energy behind the FOW2 upgrade died when Pike & Shot was released. P&S is pretty much a retread of the FOW rules. 
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

BigBlueFleet

Been going back and forth on a few games. I'm conservative in what I buy as I like to get a lot of gameplay out of my entertainment dollar.  I felt I stole doorkickers @ 3.99 on Steam.    I believe I'll just buy WITE Lost Battles.   I know they are working on WITE 2 but it's my way of supporting the developer and getting a game that I'll play. 

BigBlueFleet

Rayfer

Question for WitP:AE players. I dabbled in the original WitP but found the processing time for a game turn to drag on forever. Maybe there were settings that would have lowered the time but if so I was unaware of them. Is it the same with the AE edition or are there settings that make the wait-time less onerous? It's on sale so I'm thinking about getting it.

BigBlueFleet

Quote from: Rayfer on November 28, 2015, 11:41:32 AM
Question for WitP:AE players. I dabbled in the original WitP but found the processing time for a game turn to drag on forever. Maybe there were settings that would have lowered the time but if so I was unaware of them. Is it the same with the AE edition or are there settings that make the wait-time less onerous? It's on sale so I'm thinking about getting it.

I'd like to see you aboard but answering the question honestly I don't believe anything had been done with the upgrade to reduce time spent on turns. In WITP they had automation for theatres (or areas) that hasn't found its way into AE.

I always thought once you got past the first few months and settled in turns were less time consuming but I'll add if you struggled with WITP turn times AE will frustrate you the same if not more.

Best of luck choosing!

JudgeDredd

I would still love those books for World in Flames - though I expect by the time the game is anywhere near finished, the books will be of little help regarding play and rule sets.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2015, 12:41:14 PM
I would still love those books for World in Flames - though I expect by the time the game is anywhere near finished, the books will be of little help regarding play and rule sets.

As I glanced at those books on my shelf the other day, I thought the exact same thing.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Asid

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 28, 2015, 10:44:48 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2015, 10:36:43 AM
No-one interested in World in Flames at $70? It's 30% off.  :2funny:
That is one game that Matrix should have provided refunds to customers if they wanted them.
Agreed
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

-budd-

Quote from: panzerde on November 28, 2015, 11:07:22 AM
Quote from: -budd- on November 26, 2015, 10:04:16 AM
worked for me no problem. Full screen, zoomed with mouse, drag with mouse click and hold. The links to video's don't work for me though. Been through the list, considered a few, then came to my senses. Only one i'm really looking at is FOG, but the info is all over the place regarding an upgraded version coming out soon. I posted over at slitherine so maybe some one can clue me in. There is some good deals on good games, i just have them all. :D

I would avoid FOG like the plague. Aside from the fact that it has effectively no AI, Matrix just won't support the game anymore. With all of the different expansions and modules it's a big PITA to get upgraded and running. If you email Matrix support about it, they'll just ignore it.

I think a lot of the energy behind the FOW2 upgrade died when Pike & Shot was released. P&S is pretty much a retread of the FOW rules.

Thanks, i posted over at Slitherine in the FOG forum, 1 guy finally answered. The info over there is all over the place. Seems like an upgrade has been in the works for awhile and has also been coming soon for years. People are apparently playing a beta of the upgrade. No problem for me letting this pass by, thanks again.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Martok

Quote from: airboy on November 26, 2015, 07:24:15 PM
Quote from: Martok on November 26, 2015, 04:29:17 PM
Steam has a 24-hour flash sale on Distant Worlds: Universe -- $29.99 (50% off).

And I bought it.  Thanks for the info - I almost never look at Steam sales.
You're welcome!  If you enjoy it even half as much as I do, it'll be money well-spent. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Rayfer

Quote from: BigBlueFleet on November 28, 2015, 12:10:10 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on November 28, 2015, 11:41:32 AM

I'd like to see you aboard but answering the question honestly I don't believe anything had been done with the upgrade to reduce time spent on turns. In WITP they had automation for theatres (or areas) that hasn't found its way into AE.

I always thought once you got past the first few months and settled in turns were less time consuming but I'll add if you struggled with WITP turn times AE will frustrate you the same if not more.

Best of luck choosing!

BBF...thanks for the reply. I wasn't frustrated by the time it took for me to process my turn...it was the wait while the AI processed the Japanese turn (I was playing as the USA). It just seemed to go on forever.

donkey_roxor

Quote from: Rayfer on November 28, 2015, 06:37:07 PM
BBF...thanks for the reply. I wasn't frustrated by the time it took for me to process my turn...it was the wait while the AI processed the Japanese turn (I was playing as the USA). It just seemed to go on forever.

Back when I played WiTP, I managed to tweak the settings to minimize messages and not show battle replays during AI turn processing and reduce AI tunes to maybe 30s-1m. It worked pretty well for me - have you tried similar?

I haven't put too much time into WiTP-AE though, so unfortunately I don't know how long processing takes.

jamus34

Looking for some new games (not like my backlog is getting any smaller)

Have my eye on CW2

Being swayed on GG-WAW, might make a move on that.

I already have WitP-AE, haven't had time to get into it...so not sure if I want to move on either WitE or WitW.

Also somewhat interested in 30YW, DC-B (even thought that isn't on sale, maybe next year?) P&S and SoW-G

Any other good suggestions?

Really just looking for good games.
Insert witty comment here.