"War on the Rocks" best war movie list

Started by Tripoli, August 03, 2023, 08:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 07, 2023, 07:25:01 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 04, 2023, 01:44:56 PMand none of you even mention The Beast.  :idiot2:

See, this is what you get for glazing your eyes over when I haven't even written a wall of text yet!

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 03, 2023, 09:28:07 AMI can sorrrrt of understand them neglecting the Gods and Generals / Gettysburg duology, for political controversy, but not Glory? Oh well, lots and lots and lots of good war movies.

I for one enjoy "Pearl Harbor" and for that matter the recent "Midway" pseudo-sequel remake a lot -- they're no more ridiculous than "Battle of the Bulge", which I also enjoy more than I suppose I should. And "The Beast" for that matter.

Andrew missed it also, admittedly many eyes autoglaze a Pratt post due to your verbose nature.  :ThumbsUp:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on August 07, 2023, 09:14:47 AMPearl Harbor may be technically well done but the acting and dialogue are so horrible they overshadow any amazing effects. Come on.

I don't think we've watched enough of the same other movies to compare what horrible acting and dialogue are like. Some of the acting and dialogue are fine, they aren't like cheap 1950s Bert T Gordon sci-fi flicks a la MST3K.

(I did say "some". ;) )

Quote from: bobarossa on August 07, 2023, 09:37:00 AMI think we could eliminate some of the more contriverial choices by adding "and not something a woman would be caught dead watching" to the definition.

"300" hasn't been mentioned!  :outtahere:

Speaking of some occasionally horrible acting and dialogue...! But still not 'worst' level horrible.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

"Autoglaze" may be the name of my techno-trance performance club-jockey name if I decide to go into that business.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Hm, considering the number of hot Ukrainian babe-jockeys in techno-trance music, maybe I shouldn't be joking about that...!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Ukrainian+techno+trance+2023

Sir Slash

I read your posts Pratt, even if I don't always understand everything in them.  :headscratch:   But there's a lot of other stuff that gets by me as well.

One of my all-time favorite War Movie scenes, even if it may not be a War Movie, is the superbly well-done naval battle at the end of, "In Harm's Way". I could watch it a hundred times and it'd never get old. How often do you see John Wayne blown out of the water?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I will go a step further and say the acting in Pearl Harbor is, indeed, some of the worst I have ever seen.

I'll just leave you with this - for a movie about the Navy there sure are a ton of wooden soldiers in it.

Thank you, thank you...please try the veal.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Pearl Harbor is pretty bad but no, most of their "worst" movies don't truly belong on a worst list.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

MANos thE HANDS of FATE?

(As an example of what I regard as bad acting.)

Windigo

Again, restarting an old, dead and buried thread.

WTF is Top Gun on that list for???? Gawd damn son, but that's nuttier than a peanut field.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.