Shogun - Hulu / FX Reboot of 1980 Mini-series

Started by ArizonaTank, February 27, 2024, 04:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Today is release day for Shogun reboot. This is a new mini-series of the novel "Shogun" by James Clavell. The previous mini-series was released in 1980.

I am kind of, sort of, looking forward to this. Clavell took too much artistic license with Japanese history for my taste. But if the series is good, I could be turned. My wife is stoked however. Anyway, will get started on it this evening.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm looking forward to it.  I just hope that they don't do the usual Disney thing and beat us over the head with "the message".

Gusington

Also looking forward to it. I love the book, never saw the original series.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Watched both released episodes this morning on Hulu.  Enjoying it so far, been awhile since I watched past Shogun material so can't really compare it. 

ArizonaTank

My wife and I really liked it as well. Much better than the original series IMHO. Perhaps because this time the producer is Japanese. It feels more authentic (despite having been filmed in Canada).

My only complaint now is that I have to wait another week to see the next episode.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Silent Disapproval Robot

I watched the first episode and I'm pleasantly surprised.  Seems very good so far.  (And boobs!) 

I appreciate that they're speaking Japanese in the polite keigo form even though I find it hard to understand at times.

I remember watching the original miniseries in social studies class in junior high and being shocked by the piss scene.  Good to see it recreated here as well.

They've definitely toned down the racism espoused by both the Europeans and the Japanese in the book and original series and replaced it with sectarianism instead.

My only quibbles are minor.  Some of the samurai retainers seem a little rolly-polly and, seeing as how they filmed parts of it near here, a few scenes take me out of the story because I recognize the area.

Gusington

^Was waiting to see what you thought...this bodes well.

How do you say 'boobs' in Japanese?

:ninjameditate:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Oppai  おっぱい

if you wanna be more polite, you can say:

mune 胸  which is more like bosom or chest.

if you wanna use cheeseball slang, you can say:

pai-otsu  ぱいおつ  It's kind of like pig-Latin in Japanese where you put the last syllable of a word first.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nah, oppai is fine.  The Japanese are way more open to talking about boobs than we are.  Drunken Japanese girls are always grabbing each other's boobs.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Silent Disapproval Robot

God damn, episode 9 was awesome.  This whole series has been truly excellent. 

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18