Main Menu

War Thunder Thread

Started by republic, November 07, 2014, 07:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

They've churned out so much content that the player base got too spread out for my tastes.  I liked to play sim or realistic level and I liked having matchups based on historical events with appropriate units.  In the early days, this was the default and there were always enough players to make it possible.  As more and more aircraft and tanks became available at all tiers, the matchups started getting a little odder.  You could still fly Coral Sea but you'd start seeing P-51s or Ki-84s instead of P-40s and Ki-43s.  Even with the expanded vehicle rosters, wait times for realistic matches started to run 4-5 minutes and sim could be 15 or more.  Then they just gave up entirely and had Axis vs Allies so the Coral Sea would now have La-5s, Tempests, and F-86s vs Ta152s and Macchis.  That didn't fix the wait times so they just threw in random mixes of planes/tanks from all nations on each side and that pretty much killed it for me.

I haven't played in months but I imagine now that they've added France and they've also gone hard into the Cold War that things are even more thinned out. 

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 06, 2018, 01:24:18 PM
They've churned out so much content that the player base got too spread out for my tastes.  I liked to play sim or realistic level and I liked having matchups based on historical events with appropriate units.  In the early days, this was the default and there were always enough players to make it possible.  As more and more aircraft and tanks became available at all tiers, the matchups started getting a little odder.  You could still fly Coral Sea but you'd start seeing P-51s or Ki-84s instead of P-40s and Ki-43s.  Even with the expanded vehicle rosters, wait times for realistic matches started to run 4-5 minutes and sim could be 15 or more.  Then they just gave up entirely and had Axis vs Allies so the Coral Sea would now have La-5s, Tempests, and F-86s vs Ta152s and Macchis.  That didn't fix the wait times so they just threw in random mixes of planes/tanks from all nations on each side and that pretty much killed it for me.

I haven't played in months but I imagine now that they've added France and they've also gone hard into the Cold War that things are even more thinned out.

I know next to nothing about this game, but Arcade mode seems very cluttered.  I like crashing infront of a small band of insulting, infantile experts in realistic mode.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Arcade is where 90%+ of the player-base goes.  It's always been a random mix of nationalities.  It's not my thing so I never play that mode.  I liked sim mode best (especially for tanks) but it was somewhat problematic in that the player base was quite small so wait times for a mission start were very long and you'd very often end up playing the same map 5-6 times in a row.

Realistic was a good mix for a while but if you fly with a joystick, you're at a serious disadvantage when it comes to aiming.  Mouse aim is far more accurate.

bobarossa

Have not seen any single player modes but I only drive tanks.  They've ruined Arcade tanks by allowing planes to crash into tanks without any penalty (no loss of life).  I played Realistic at first until I realized how slow the crew advancement was.  After leveling up in Arcade I discovered they had ruined Realistic for me.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 06, 2018, 02:40:11 PM

I know next to nothing about this game, but Arcade mode seems very cluttered.  I like crashing infront of a small band of insulting, infantile experts in realistic mode.

I still don't know much about what's going on, but realistic "tank" battles have a lot of charm for me at the moment.  Basically, if I do well in some primitive tank, I come back in some primitive plane and do a victory cruise while the survivors below type WTF.  Not bad.  The dynamics of the battles (winners bring in more stuff...losers don't) are interesting too.

jomni

I've been playing this for the past two days. I do better in a tank than a Plane.  Matchmaking in realistic takes longer and I don't like to wait.

If you don't like crazy antics, there's always PVE.

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on April 07, 2018, 01:20:27 PM
I've been playing this for the past two days. I do better in a tank than a Plane.  Matchmaking in realistic takes longer and I don't like to wait.

I like crazy antics.  I do much better in tanks than in planes, but in realistic battles, if I get enough SP, I take up Devastator 4 and drop 12 100 lb bombs on somebody:

jomni

Quote from: MengJiao on April 08, 2018, 10:57:31 PM

I like crazy antics.  I do much better in tanks than in planes, but in realistic battles, if I get enough SP, I take up Devastator 4 and drop 12 100 lb bombs on somebody:

Actually the crazy antics of the Kamikaze Pilots are rewarding too. I sometimes take time to shoot at them with my non-AA tank. Even by just hitting them once, I get credit for the 'kill' when they intentionally crash.

I'm a pretty new tanker (compared to pilot) and I chose to focus on the British tree as I want the Challenger.  I really hate those Cromwells with the flat front armour.   I die in them a lot. But they are necessary stepping stones. The Crusaders are fun fast tanks with low profile.  Looking forward to advance to Shermans

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on April 09, 2018, 12:58:14 AM

Actually the crazy antics of the Kamikaze Pilots are rewarding too. I sometimes take time to shoot at them with my non-AA tank. Even by just hitting them once, I get credit for the 'kill' when they intentionally crash.

I'm a pretty new tanker (compared to pilot) and I chose to focus on the British tree as I want the Challenger.  I really hate those Cromwells with the flat front armour.   I die in them a lot. But they are necessary stepping stones. The Crusaders are fun fast tanks with low profile.  Looking forward to advance to Shermans

I'm working on getting the Lee -- it looks impossible to get the relatively low-velocity 75mm shell to hit the same target as the 37mm gun, but it should be interesting since even the B1 seems to work okay sometimes (I mean it has killed me anyway).  after the Lee then the most primitive Sherman or maybe the M10 is next.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 09, 2018, 09:37:44 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 09, 2018, 12:58:14 AM

I'm working on getting the Lee -- it looks impossible to get the relatively low-velocity 75mm shell to hit the same target as the 37mm gun, but it should be interesting since even the B1 seems to work okay sometimes (I mean it has killed me anyway).  after the Lee then the most primitive Sherman or maybe the M10 is next.

War Thunder over Hawaii

bobarossa

The Lee is a pretty good tank for its BR.  You can shoot off a couple rounds on the 37 while waiting for the 75 to reload. 

jomni

M10 (T34 too)... pretty much my nemesis at this level.
Lee used to be my nemesis but not anymore.

Staggerwing

I've had a love for the TBD ever since I was a kid reading about VT-8's death ride at Midway.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 09, 2018, 09:17:49 PM

I've had a love for the TBD ever since I was a kid reading about VT-8's death ride at Midway.

I always check on it in games that have some way to get to it.  The TBD in War Thunder is a pretty good Tier I bomber.  I've had more success with it than with the B-34 (which is the Hudson I think).