Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Sins Of a Solar Empire 2
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 09:54:52 AM
...and let me guess...it will include some kind of an update that will not be provided to those who bought early access on Epic. Stardock and Wardell screwed everyone over like this with Gal Civ IV.
Computer Gaming / Re: Sins Of a Solar Empire 2
Last post by Destraex - Today at 09:27:52 AM
Sins2 out this summer on steam unfortunately if you are from the southern hemisphere this means your get it six months later than the north does.
Computer Gaming / The Best "Alternate History" W...
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 09:00:16 AM
What games in your experience are the best at yielding plausible historically alternate results? I find that most of the turn-based games I play tend to end with the historical outcome. Sometimes the outcome varies in terms of date/time and cost, but the objectives are usually either accomplished, or not, along historical lines. I'm talking mostly about games by HPS/WDS, Slitherine/Matrix titles (ie. Operational Art of War and the Grigsby titles, etc.). Hearts of Iron seems to often times lead to results that depart from the historical timeline and outcome, but its hard for me to discern whether this is due more the strategy employed by the player or the unorthodox decision making of the AI.

Of course, there are games and scenarios that focus solely on alternate history or "what ifs", such as WDS Operation Sealion, or maybe some scenarios that model the invasion of say, Malta. What are some of the best titles or scenarios that approach these alternate strategies or operations that historically were never attempted or explored?
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 08:49:46 AM
I thought Ukrainian military officials said they needed the F-16s in 2023 and that employing them in 2024 wouldn't be the "right time"?

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-f16s-russia-air-defenses-1886769
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by ArizonaTank - Today at 08:27:07 AM
Ukraine says F-16s will begin operations as soon as this week.

Some sources have been talking about an increase in Russian CAS in recent months due to a Ukrainian shortage of short range SAMs and MANPADs. Some have even attributed recent Russian success to this fact. So it will be interesting to see if / how F-16s move the needle on that dynamic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/surprise-f-16-update-issued-by-ukraine/ar-AA1nYDLB?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=ea2385b56e184e989ec6aa04d58f606a&ei=6
Interestingly Late Age Pyrene just got added to the game in a new patch, so someone has the chance to pull a pro gamer move and pick a faction nobody knows anything about.

I'm tentatively picking C'tis.
Unfortunately Ash had to drop out, I've set Man to AI and taken over as Mari.  I've got an absolute ton of toys to play with here and I can see why she was having a bit of analysis paralysis there at the end!

Anyway, I don't fancy my chances of winning against Bandar Log even if I take the time to micro the hell out of everything Mari has. BL is entrenched with several underwater thrones that I'd need to win which are inaccessible to me, and I reckon I'd have to play a hell of a game to get TMIT into a surrender state.

I'm not conceding by any means, but my goal now is to set off as much fireworks as possible, as quickly as possible!
Computer Gaming / Re: Steam Refund Policy Change...
Last post by Destraex - Yesterday at 11:33:58 PM
Sounds fine to me. I also think 2hrs is enough time time as a general rule. There is just so much to draw on in the media before pressing the buy button that all you should really be testing is whether it works on your computer before refunding.

Faulty games with crash issues is a different kettle of fish.
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Yesterday at 11:06:05 PM
It's nice that there seems to be some element of discretion in the refund process and it is not always enforced as a hard rule. An actual person seems to be reviewing the refund request and deciding based on a few factors like frequency of requests and the reasons offered for them. This is a pleasant surprise in this day and age.
Last post by Uberhaus - Yesterday at 09:53:41 PM
Steam let me refund a game at 2 hours 15 minutes, but it was the only game I have ever refunded and I explained that I was trying over and over to get past a crash that was happening with a cutscene.

Imagine my surprise and horror to learn that my son: my only child, was cutoff by Steam from further refunds in a year after doing it one to many times.  I only have my self to blame.