Oh my...Elite Dangerous:Horizons

Started by JudgeDredd, August 28, 2016, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 12, 2016, 02:50:14 PM
^Great...now I'm totally confused as to what to do.

Owning a Python makes generating revenue streams that can be used for purchasing new ships very much easier.  That is to say, get a Python and getting the 70mil or so to well kit and FdL becomes a weekend's work.

That's why I switched from a Python to Anaconda, I can simply make more money in the Annie, that lets me expand my fleet of ships that are more specialized.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I did it. Traded in my Asp for a Python. Very hard to give up the Asp. She was a great ship.

Anyway, took a quick missin 32 LY away and I couldn't even plot a route because of the damn 8LY stock jump range. What a joke! I had to take a detour to find a star port that carried FSDs. The best I was able to find was a 5D giving me a max range of 16 LY. Better than 8...

So I completed the missions and then made the long...very long...journey back to Ceos. I'm glad I did it though because I was able to take 2 jobs to Solthis and one back to Ceos earning about 22 million. Other then the new FSD and a larger cargo hold, I haven't really upgraded the Python. I plan on doing that than start saving for a Fer de lance.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

I did a pair of Ceos <--> Bubble runs in my Python last night. It's grueling. I use the stopwatch on my X52 Pro to time my runs. One way without incident, with a single fuel-scoop refuel midway through, runs close to 30 minutes. Painful. But profitable, no question.

I'm finding the Ceos/Sothis thing kind of a devil's bargain. It's so profitable compared to everything else, it makes *doing* anything else seem pointless. Why bounty hunt, or mine, or trade rares, when the $$ from Ceos/Sothis is just so much better?  And yet the runs themselves are sheer work -- there's no fun in them whatsoever.

undercovergeek

I think the problem with the sothis runs is that you end of playing the system and not the game - everyone downs tools and runs to this massive profit maker not because they weren't enjoying bounty hunting or mining but simply because there's too much money to not do it and as a consequence you end playing a part of the game you never would because it didn't interest you anyway

Jarhead for instance was enjoying combat and bounty hunting, don't think I've ever seen him mention trading, all of a sudden he's in an asp doing long haul flights, not because he likes it but because the money is there and then it ruins your enjoyment of the game

On the other hand there are people who will gladly do those runs all day - they are the game billionaires now crashing anacondas into space stations for laughs - they too have ruined the game for themselves

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't recommend doing Sothis/Ceos exclusively.   The run is a true, space trucking grind. 

I really feel that run is more or less to get you over the hump to buy something that you otherwise would have trouble reaching.  I did Robigo right after I spent down to my Insurance buy back to fully A grade my Python.  I ran it until I could afford an A-Rated FdL with a few rebuys for emergencies and then stopped. 

I started running Sothis/Ceos after I could afford an Anaconda, but couldn't afford to fit her.  Once I crossed the hump of A-rating its obscenely priced power plant, I was back to the bubble, collecting stuff for Engineers to further kit my FdL.

When you start feeling burned on it, cash in and do something else.  My suggestion is exploration around Maia/Merope.  That's where a lot of the alien stuff is located, and the data can be sold to the exploration based engineers like Felicity Farseer in order to level your influence. 

You can also try the low temperature diamonds runs if you fancy a little piracy.   Kit those Pythons for crime, go to a system with pristine ice rings and jump traders with holds full of low temperature diamonds for ill gotten gains.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

where did you find most of your A-rated parts for the Python? I'm having trouble finding larger A-rated parts. Hopefully, there is a source someplace near the Ceos/Solthis corridor.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 14, 2016, 01:45:34 PM
where did you find most of your A-rated parts for the Python? I'm having trouble finding larger A-rated parts. Hopefully, there is a source someplace near the Ceos/Solthis corridor.

The Founders World, Shinrarta Dezhra system.  If you were an early, Premium Beta or before, backer you should get the permit to go there.  Otherwise you have to have elite status in any discipline.  The station there, Jameson Memorial has every part available for a 10% discount. 

Alternative would be Diaguandri system, Ray Gateway.  This one is actually nearer the Sothis/Ceos run lanes.  They have most parts available there, and some at a 15% discount.  All ships are 15% off there as well. 

sandman2575

JH - Inara is a fantastic site that allows you to plug in your current location, and then search for ship parts, commodities, etc., giving you a breakdown of nearby locations you can find whatever you're looking for -

http://inara.cz/

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

sandman2575

Ooohh Guardians 2.2 update is live   8)

Though my pc seems to be choking on the 13.0 GB update  (...and I have pretty decent broadband to boot...)  Looks like this is gonna take a while.

Jarhead0331

Can anyone confirm if the Ceos/Sothis trade runs have been nerfed? I flew back to Ceos last night from the bubble, but didn't have time to travel between New Dawn and Sothis to check missions out.

With the 2.2 upgrade, the game looks a lot better and there are some interesting UI changes, both in flight and to the station services interface. I did check out some of the passenger missions...very lucrative, but very long distance transports...some over 2,000 ly!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

The missions aren't nerfed, but switching from Open to Closed and vice versa will not refresh the list anymore.

Passenger missions seem to be lucrative at times too. Yesterday a friend of mine spotted one with only 90ly and a cheap Economy cabin netting 4.5mil.
When I checked the same board it was gone and no such deal was listed anymore.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

That sounds like frontiers habit of over powering something they want testing rigorously to make sure it works

By the way, is this a new full priced purchase, dlc or a free upgrade? I used to know everything about elite but I'm so far behind the curve now

Pete Dero

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 26, 2016, 09:54:05 AM
By the way, is this a new full priced purchase, dlc or a free upgrade? I used to know everything about elite but I'm so far behind the curve now

Part of the Horizons season pass.

sandman2575

I definitely dig the new starport interiors. Eye-candy to be sure, but it's damn purdy and I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. Also like how they've rearranged the starport services UI, and that the head of the leading faction 'greets' you when you log in. I may be mistaken, as I only played for about an hour last night, but I thought there was some new voice audio as well -- had not heard before the voice of the FFC guy who hailed me when arriving at a new starport. I in general love E:D's voice work -- especially the one who sounds like the guy from the old 7-UP commercial ("The UnCola!!!") and says "You have arrived at a sanctuary among the stars!"  Awesome.

I also like that an autopilot slightly nudges your ship to be dead center when frame-shift jumping. It's the little things that please me, I guess...