Jukebox Playlist

Started by Bison, February 07, 2013, 06:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I absolutely loved this song, especially back in 1985 when it came out. White Nights was something of a mind-blowing film for me...Gregory Hines (RIP) and Mikhail Baryshnikov dancing. Gregory, because I thought of him as a comedian - I still cannot look at him without thinking of History of the World, Part I, as that is the first time I ever saw him in anything. Also, Running Scared, one of my favorite movies ever. And Mikhail moves like physical poetry. The movie was amazing and the music video catches a lot of the power it holds.

It still blows me away that Gregory has passed, and that it was 14 years ago. Even stranger is his fiance/partner, Negrita, whom was a body builder, died of cancer too a few years after he did.

MetalDog

Jeff Lynne is a pop genius!

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

A song I had forgotten about

MetalDog

When I do research for the Brackets, I use the list of the Top 100 songs according to Billboard for that year.  I also go month through month of albums released that year.  And there is such a disparity, at least for me, in what was popular and what I like.  That's why I had so much disco up a few days ago.  That's what was on the charts in 1979.  As soon as I started checking album releases, I came upon that Joe Jackson song and the Elvis Costello one I am going to post.  I like them infinitely better than most of the Top 100, but it doesn't make one better than the other.  Just blows my mind what variety and range of music people can like.

Anyways, Elvis Costello

MetalDog

MetalDog

MetalDog

Here's one you might know that doesn't involve huskies or yellow snow.

MetalDog

Rush for people who say they don't like Rush but secretly do (looking at you mirth (and Barthheart))

MetalDog

Another tune I was introduced to due to my fixation on guitar video games from a few years back.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on December 23, 2017, 05:11:47 PM
Rush for people who say they don't like Rush but secretly do (looking at you mirth (and Barthheart))

probably my all-time favorite band...  and that's about the 4th best song on that album, too

Just A Game
Suitcase Blues
Young Enough to Cry
Hold On
Lay It On The Line  <--- probably better than 5th best track but overplayed like crazy
Movin' On
(and let's just ignore American Girls as a dreadful bit of crap from Triumph, please)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

some other excellent Triumph-ness

Drags out a bit, but the first 2 verses or so are excellent

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

There was a kid I went to high school with who was a big Triumph fan.  Glad it touched off something good for you.

More proof that Jeff Lynne is a pop genius

MetalDog

One of the things I loved about MTV was the small amount of videos they could choose from initially.  Got a whole bunch of stuff in front of this young man's eyes that I never would have otherwise heard or known about.  This is one of the gems.  And you might recognize the guys name.

Emeraldlis

Another  great list of songs there people  O0 I enjoyed the listen, as always :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

I had completely forgotten about this song.  Not The Kinks best effort, but, mildly amusing.