Book Bucket list

Started by MetalDog, January 08, 2013, 11:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I don't have any hair to have color. I guess if I I let what is left grow it would be brown with bald highlights.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on January 10, 2013, 07:29:00 PM
Poe, however, Poe is a GENIUS!  My favorite story is, "The Cask Of Amontillado".  If you've not read it, you should find it and do so.  NOW!
Yep, that's my favorite Poe story as well.  I also have a great affection for "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "Masque of the Red Death", but "Amontillado" definitely tops my list. 

Quote from: Gusington on January 11, 2013, 08:14:03 AM
I don't have any hair to have color. I guess if I I let what is left grow it would be brown with bald highlights.
Same, except it would be a dark blonde. 

Hey, we should form a club!  Then we could get jackets. 

EDIT:  What on earth is it with me always leaving intransitive verbs out of my damn sentences??! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Would the jackets have hair?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on January 11, 2013, 02:02:09 PM
Would the jackets have hair?
Only on Thursdays and every other waning gibbous. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Gusington

That's a lot more than I have now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Martok on January 10, 2013, 10:10:48 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 09, 2013, 07:33:54 PM
Quote from: Martok on January 09, 2013, 07:14:38 AM
No offense 'phro, but I have absolutely no desire to service you guys...

And we have no desire to be serviced by you.  No offense ;-)
None taken.  :P 

Quote from: MetalDog on January 09, 2013, 09:11:42 PM
I haven't read War And Peace, but I did read the first eight Wheel Of Time books.  That's a hundred and forty seven years I will never get back.
Wuss!  You quit just when it was getting good!  ;D   

Seriously, though, I don't blame you.  The 7th-10th books are where the series really slows down, where most folks say "screw it" and give up...and the 8th and 9th books (Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart) are especially bad in this regard. 

I'm personally glad I pushed through them so I could get to Knife of Dreams (book 11), as things finally pick up again (and in a major way) -- it's like Jordan knew he didn't have that much longer to live, and so did his level best to start wrapping up a bunch of the sub-plots -- but I definitely can't fault anyone who's unable to do so.

Same here. I finished all of them. I was very disappointed with the late middle books. The ending was a bit of a cop-out too.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MetalDog

I don't remember at what book and who they chose to do it, but, Jordan died and another writer was called in to complete the series.  It's my understanding that at that point, the books gathered momementum and were finished fairly quickly.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on January 12, 2013, 10:00:59 AM
I don't remember at what book and who they chose to do it, but, Jordan died and another writer was called in to complete the series. 
Jordan died after the eleventh book Knife of Dreams was published.  Brandon Sanderson (author of the Mistborn novels I enjoy so much) was hand-picked by Jordan's widow to finish out the series. 

Quote from: MetalDog on January 12, 2013, 10:00:59 AM
It's my understanding that at that point, the books gathered momementum and were finished fairly quickly.
That's my impression as well.  (I myself wouldn't know, as I'm determined to wait for the final book, A Memory of Light, to be released in paperback next year before I purchase the last three novels.)  However, Jordan himself really picked up the pace in Knife of Dreams; from what I understand, Sanderson's merely increased that pacing by another notch or two. 

MetalDog

How about The Illiad and The Odyssey?  Have we all read those?

Bison

Barthheart

Quote from: MetalDog on January 12, 2013, 11:04:37 PM

Definitely on my list. I started the Illiad when I was a kid and couldn't get too far and just never got back to them.

Martok

"Yes" to The Odyssey, "not yet" to The Illiad

MetalDog

Before any of you go back to them, it wouldn't hurt to peruse Bulfinch's Mythology first.  Give yourself a refresher.

bob48

Yep - got copies here. Both worth reading, although I enjoyed the Odyssey more than Illiad.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!