Civilization VI!!?!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Survived the onslaught of the Greeks. It wasn't so much an onslaught as a poke and a prod. I think Saladin brought him to his knees by stealing Athens from him...he then sued for peace from me - giving me very favourable terms when I was trying to get him to make peace previously, for several turns, and he wouldn't have it.

I had lots of Amenity problems - I think due to war weariness as it all but disappeared when Greece made peace.

Just realised (after I was plundered about 100 turns ago when Saladin stole Paris) that I needed to build builders to fix the damaged areas on my city. Also discovered that Amenities are automatically distributed through your lands from Luxury Resources.

I was under the impression Luxury Resources in your land contributed to the city they were found in - but they're not - Luxury Resources create amenities and they are auto-distributed through your cities and applied where needed. Resources from buildings and wonders are for the specific city.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

I maybe wrong - I think it was in the comments section on a quill lets play - apparently the optimum number of opening cities to build is 4 because that's the max that luxuries and resources are shared across - over that and there's penalties

solops

I am up to 2040 in my first game. So far I would say that the game is slick, the AI is pathetic and there is a real lack of information in the UI and manual about a lot of basic things. Ought to be a great game after a few patches. The AI does not do unit upgrades well.  There are poor to non-existent explanations about the workings of luxuries, some wonders (national park comes to mind), poor feedback/notices and lack of data on assorted units and system interactions. All in all, a typical AAA release these days for a game that cannot afford to fail and will be fixed eventually. Right now, the joy of learning the new game makes up for other failings. That will not last forever.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Oh, and the combat system, while sadly deficient, is better than Civ5. A pity. It could easily have been so much more.

And the diplomacy system is just bad.

So yeah, the game is really bad in several ways...buggy, too. But,it's going to be great. Honest!  Really! Trust me! Really really!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JudgeDredd

I feel this could definitely do with another couple of steps of zoom out. I find the max zoom out leaving me very lacking in "strategic view" - I don't feel I've got a proper handle on what's going on around the "world" with the current max zoom out
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

DLed last night. Firing up today
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Greybriar

I chanced across a chart at the Octopus Overlords forum (4th post down by persself) showing how to optimize the placement of districts and wonders:

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bayonetbrant

Won't run on my 5yo computer! 
:tickedoff: :tickedoff:  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Capn Darwin

Won't run on your 5yo windows machine? Runs on my 6+ yo. Sorry to hear that.  ::)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 30, 2016, 11:01:59 AM
Won't run on my 5yo computer! 
:tickedoff: :tickedoff:  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

See earlier in this thread about excluding from Windows Defender... unless yer trying to get it to run on yer Fruitputer... in that case yer screwed.

bayonetbrant

parts of it load, but screen is off-kilter, then crashed on initialization

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

My Mac doesn't have enough onboard memory to meet minimum specs. 
Need min 6gb RAM and I'm at 4gb. 
Clearly, it's time for a new computer :) 

Anyone want to pitch into a GoFundMe for one?!

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 30, 2016, 02:43:09 PM
My Mac doesn't have enough onboard memory to meet minimum specs. 
Need min 6gb RAM and I'm at 4gb. 

What exact model Mac, year (inc. early/mid/late), and processor do you have? Many cam be boosted past Apple's 'official' max RAM amount. For most of the MBPs you can access the RAM by removing the bottom cover and for iMacs before 2012 there are two small grill covers in the bottom you can remove to pop out the old RAM. You can get a stick of 4GB for about $30. Replace one of the 2GB sticks to get 6 or go nuts and go for 8.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

I dont have a pro; I have a Macbook Air