Main Menu

25 or 6 to FRIDAY

Started by Tripoli, March 01, 2024, 10:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Chicago. Tanglewood.  1970

Hell, just go straight to Kath's guitar solo at the 2:58 mark

Me?  BoC work.  CMO work.  Flashpoint Campaign Work.  Maybe more work on the Rule the Waves AAR.  I'm getting the urge to do pick up the Scourge of War South Mountain AAR that I started 2+ years ago. https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=25412.msg689913#msg689913  I think I know how to do it in video form.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

Finally playing some more Age of Empires IV, starting with the Russian Moscow campaign.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

It's all naval warfare all the time here.

Picked up Rule the Waves 3 based on Tripoli's AAR so I'm looking forward to getting into that some more.  I've also been exploring the old Harpoon Commander's Edition.  I like the more macro feel of it compared to Command.

I'm also getting an itch to dig back into some Civil War gaming, eyeballing the Whiskey and Lemons DLC for Grand Tactician.  If I pull the trigger, I'll be firing that up.

Finally, strongly considering picking up Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts, or Victory at Sea: Ironclads.  Ironclads has some terrible reviews on Steam, but I like the idea of Civil War naval warfare.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

KyzBP

I've been giving Crown Wars: The Black Prince a go.  Not bad so far.  I've been revisiting Crusader Kings III also. I saw an update dropped for Skies Above The Great War.  I REALLY want this game to be good!

devoncop

Having a great time with Shadowrun the RPG...nice straightforward gritty game. Why I never played this when it came out back in the day I will never know.

I completed Colony Ship on hero mode (easy mode) last week and had an absolute blast with it.

Call me a blasphemer if you will but I think both are more enjoyable than the much hyped Baldurs Gate 3 for a more casual game.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

KyzBP what do you think of Crown Wars? On my radar for purchase when it is released.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bruce205

I tried I really tried but I keep bouncing off of Baldurs Gate 3. Best game ever is all I hear but I don't see it. I have UHD monitor and the UI is still too small for me with everything cranked up. Why can't they implement UI scaling is beyond me ?  They have sold a million copies and large budget. In contrast Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous is perfect from a far smaller developer. Maybe I just just need to play that instead but its very complex. Of course all the games that intrigue me are just so complex. Sorry for the wall of text.

Destraex

Quote from: Gusington on March 01, 2024, 11:50:38 AMFinally playing some more Age of Empires IV, starting with the Russian Moscow campaign.
You will Enjoy that Gus. I own the expansion a friend and I (sometimes 2 friends) have been doing civilisation masteries together. I have finished all masteries except for the Japanese ones which I am curently working on. This AOE is the most "wargame" like imho. The models are excellent and the buildings and terrain very nice as well. Even though it looks cartoonish at least it is consistent and the human models and animations look really nice. Older AOE games which used 3D models had pretty average soldier models which never looked like they were in formation.
Remember GUS:
* Spearmen can use HOLD GROUND to stop a line being porous.
* Cavalry do more damage when charging. So I have been meaning to experiment with charge, retreat and charge again tactics. When you retreat you will obviously stop attacking while the enemy will have a chance to do some parting blows. So I may take too much damage doing that. We will see.
* Some spearmen can be upgraded so they have longer spears and therefore can attack further out while the enemy cannot. I want to try this but have not got around to it. I am hoping that spearmen in hold ground with long spears simply cannot be melee attacked. We will see.
* Men can man ramparts and fire from them. If you put archers on walls they will generally stay their and ward off enemy attacks without charging out and exposing themselves to melee.

It's not a wargame and a lot of stuff is derpy but it's cheap right now as well.

This is the sort of thing you see in AOEIV.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

KyzBP

Quote from: Gusington on March 01, 2024, 04:51:33 PMKyzBP what do you think of Crown Wars? On my radar for purchase when it is released.

Right now I'm playing the demo.  If I had to boil it down to a sentence I'd say "It's "X-Com 2 in 1400's France."  There's "base" building and squad management with X-Com style tactical turn based fights.  I only started playing today so I'm still poking around a bit.

nelmsm

Well when not busy packing up for a move to Massachussets I'll be doing some PBEM of WitE2, Normandy '44, and Korea '85.  Play some more Arracourt from the BCS series from MMP games on Vassal tomorrow morning.  If I get the urge I'll play a few more turns of my Bombing the Reich long campaign I started and maybe something else depending on the mood.  Just me and the dogs and all this stuff to pack here so I tire easily and need frequent breaks.

Dammit Carl!

Pumped that F1 is starting it's new season this weekend (but, I'm a poser who really only watches highlight stuff, so...).  Wreckfest it is, then!

Destraex

Quote from: KyzBP on March 01, 2024, 05:48:29 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 01, 2024, 04:51:33 PMKyzBP what do you think of Crown Wars? On my radar for purchase when it is released.

Right now I'm playing the demo.  If I had to boil it down to a sentence I'd say "It's "X-Com 2 in 1400's France."  There's "base" building and squad management with X-Com style tactical turn based fights.  I only started playing today so I'm still poking around a bit.
Gotta ask.. is it WEGO.. iirc the answer is no.. otherwise I'd give the demo a crack.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Thanks for the above Des. What are masteries?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Toonces on March 01, 2024, 01:26:18 PMFinally, strongly considering picking up Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts, or Victory at Sea: Ironclads.  Ironclads has some terrible reviews on Steam, but I like the idea of Civil War naval warfare.

UA: Dreadnoughts is one of my hidden gems. I do not understand the criticism gets on Steam. I think it's one of those cases where people play for thousands of hours and get so diehard about certain very narrow elements of the game that they give it negative reviews on that basis. It is my favorite naval warfare game by a longshot, and it's not even close to my favorite era of naval history.

Gusington

I haven't played UA: Dreadnoughts in a long while and it is my favorite era of naval history. The hate it has received is beyond bizarre.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd