First trailer for the upcoming Warcraft film

Started by Martok, November 07, 2015, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Much to my surprise, it doesn't actually look half bad.  Checking out the IMDB page, it appears they've put together a fairly decent cast for this flick.  Dare I be cautiously optimistic about a movie based on a video game? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Interesting. But I keep thinking of Avatar, strangely enough.

mirth

Quote from: Martok on November 07, 2015, 04:06:31 PM
Dare I be cautiously optimistic about a movie based on a video game? 

What? You didn't enjoy Super Mario Bros?

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Huw the Poo

I think it looks awful to be honest.  Incredibly generic story and the CGI is really jarring in my opinion.  I'm not a Warcraft fan so I don't really care, but if I was I'd be pretty anxious after seeing that trailer!

bob48

Mrs B and I will be going to see it - or so I have been reliably informed.................
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 08, 2015, 03:51:35 AM
I think it looks awful to be honest.  Incredibly generic story and the CGI is really jarring in my opinion.  I'm not a Warcraft fan so I don't really care, but if I was I'd be pretty anxious after seeing that trailer!

The Warcraft lore was always ridiculously generic crap.  Listening or reading some of that bullshit was akin to torture for me. 

As we all know, it was originally intended to use Warhammer Fantasy as it's basis but GW told them to F-Off as they so often did long ago.  So they twisted it into a less Dark & more child-like IP.  And it's shit.  The only reason it got big was primarily due to the MMO's mechanical innovation (about 14 years ago), but the background & lore has always been ass and, from what I've seen, only gets worse the more they expand it. 

bbmike

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 08, 2015, 03:51:35 AM

+1. The CGI didn't mix at all with the real actors. Hard to watch.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

I'm not the world's biggest Warcraft fan -- I think the last game I played was WC2 -- but it's only "less-dark" compared to Warhammer levels of dark.

The planet of a race of demon-manipulated orcs is dying (thanks to aforesaid manipulation), and so the demon treats them like a virus to carry that infection along into other worlds. Their initial invasion onto the planet of Azeroth succeeds in wiping out the human kingdom; but then the orcs on Azeroth lose to a subsequent alliance which pushes back into their homeworld of Draenor and stops the exodus. Consequently the orcs mostly die, and although the few survivors in Azeroth are no longer oppressed by the demon they're enslaved by the victorious Alliance nations.

But the alliance members were never that rosy, and so thanks to political backstabbing they aren't ready to deal with a new invasion, this time by the undead (led by the demons and their orc shaman who ruined Draenor), which traps the human prince as an undead minion and generally Ruins Everything Forever after the demon army also arrives to compete with the undead over who can screw the world worse. The nearly genocided everyone-else have trouble meanwhile getting past the hate crimes and treacheries every side has inflicted on everyone.

(Admittedly, that's only the first three games and expansions. Things might be less dark in WoW...?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 09, 2015, 04:06:09 PM
I'm not the world's biggest Warcraft fan -- I think the last game I played was WC2 -- but it's only "less-dark" compared to Warhammer levels of dark.

The planet of a race of demon-manipulated orcs is dying (thanks to aforesaid manipulation), and so the demon treats them like a virus to carry that infection along into other worlds. Their initial invasion onto the planet of Azeroth succeeds in wiping out the human kingdom; but then the orcs on Azeroth lose to a subsequent alliance which pushes back into their homeworld of Draenor and stops the exodus. Consequently the orcs mostly die, and although the few survivors in Azeroth are no longer oppressed by the demon they're enslaved by the victorious Alliance nations.

But the alliance members were never that rosy, and so thanks to political backstabbing they aren't ready to deal with a new invasion, this time by the undead (led by the demons and their orc shaman who ruined Draenor), which traps the human prince as an undead minion and generally Ruins Everything Forever after the demon army also arrives to compete with the undead over who can screw the world worse. The nearly genocided everyone-else have trouble meanwhile getting past the hate crimes and treacheries every side has inflicted on everyone.

(Admittedly, that's only the first three games and expansions. Things might be less dark in WoW...?)

Sounds like the history of the Balkans.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Was that Ragnor from Vikings? The Orcs don't stand a chance against him. If he gets his hands on a good axe.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.