Decades Feeder Bracket - 1963 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, July 02, 2017, 02:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

* A quick note about seeding*

Barthheart asked me about how I seed these while we were at Origins.  I was pretty buzzed when I answered, but, it went a little something like this.  I am looking for symmetry in matchups.  Reasons to put certain songs against certain others.  This Bracket is the best example of that that I can give you.  Each matchup is together for a reason: all the surf songs in one part, boys versus boys and girls versus girls in another, and Dylan versus The Beatles, as Bob turned on Paul before he was 'dead.'

So now we get to the part of the 60's where everyone will know most, if not all, of the songs without having to resort to the videos (although, I hope you guys spend some time watching the videos as it's fun to immerse yourself in the sounds of a particular year).  The first appearance of The Beatles and Dylan happen in 1963.  Surf music, led by the standard bearers, Jan & Dean and the Beach Boys.  Still lots of girl groups and 'pop' singles abound.  in a few years, things will look and sound radically different.

i hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoy putting it together.  Thanks again, as always, for voting and have at!

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

I love surf music. Most were easy but I had to go with the Chantays over the Beach Boys.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Sooo much classic Rock n Roll goodness here.   :coolsmiley:

MetalDog

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 02, 2017, 02:11:16 PM
I love surf music. Most were easy but I had to go with the Chantays over the Beach Boys.

Glad you liked the surf music!

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 02, 2017, 02:57:48 PM
Sooo much classic Rock n Roll goodness here.   :coolsmiley:

I've got a soft spot for a lot of these tunes.  The first few years of the 60's always get short shrift in the musical musings of the decade in favor of psychedelia, the Big 3, and how different things were from the beginning of the decade to the end.  Glad you enjoy :)   :bd:

Staggerwing

It 'is pretty amazing how much things changed from 1963 to 1973. The span is the same length of time as the existence of the iPhone from release until today, and that certainly doesn't feel like very long ago.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

There was an aura of honesty and innocence in a lot of the songs of that era. It wouldn't last much longer once Vietnam kicked in. On a side note, if you've (meaning all ya'll grogs) have never seen American Graffiti, put it on your must-watch list. Besides the nostalgia and the music, when you watch it count the number of times you say, "OMG, is that a young (insert actor's name here) because it is.

https://youtu.be/z2OoxzYqgNY

https://youtu.be/OZ9Gp6Qc8LQ

MetalDog

Barthheart

Quote from: MetalDog on July 02, 2017, 02:04:22 PM

Barthheart asked me about how I seed these while we were at Origins.  I was pretty buzzed when I answered,....

:D You must have been because it wasn't me who asked you that.  :bd:

OJsDad

Quote from: Barthheart on July 03, 2017, 08:58:32 AM

Barthheart asked me about how I seed these while we were at Origins.  I was pretty buzzed when I answered,....

:DD
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

You most assuredly did.  After I had come back from my jaunt looking for cigarettes.

Barthheart

Quote from: MetalDog on July 03, 2017, 09:14:45 PM

You most assuredly did.  After I had come back from my jaunt looking for cigarettes.

Well then I must have been buzzed because I don't have any recollection of that conversation.....  :idiot2:

MetalDog

Barthheart