Hurricane Harvey

Started by OJsDad, August 28, 2017, 08:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on August 31, 2017, 05:55:59 AM
Explosions at a chemical plant in Houston. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/31/2-explosions-black-smoke-reported-at-chemical-plant-outside-houston.html

That's the one in the second half of my post above.  They were kind of just waiting for it to happen :-\
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Let's hope it doesn't come to this:

QuoteIn its most recently available submission from 2014, Arkema said potentially 1.1 million residents could be affected over an area of 23 miles in a worst-case scenario, according to information compiled by a nonprofit group and posted on a website hosted by The Houston Chronicle.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

The bio lab and the chemical facility are similar to the Keymaster and the Gatekeeper.

Venkman: 'We have to get these two together!'

Spengler: 'I think that would be extraordinarily dangerous.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Regarding Lakewood Church and Joel Osteen: I'm no fan of his, or his wife. Mega-churches are just f*cking cash cows,  pandering to the masses. That said, in their defense regarding not opening their doors, Lakewood Church is in what used to be the Summit, where the Rockets played. The Summit has floors below ground that flood whenever something like this happens. The criticism they received, I don't think reflected the fact that it would have been too dangerous to let thousands of people in, when it was partly flooded. It just wasn't safe.

Regarding CNN's tweet: it's sad and telling when they have to preamble their message with "This isn't fake..." ;D

Regarding the plant explosion in Crosby: they indeed were waiting for it and preparing. At one point it just got too dangerous so the company evacuated everyone. They knew a while ago that this thing was going to brew up and there was nothing they could really do about it.

OJsDad

A new tropical storm may form in the Gulf of Mexico as early as Monday.

There's also a hurricane forming in the Atlantic now.  Not sure where it'll hit.  As far south as Miami and north into the Carolina's. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on August 31, 2017, 08:22:35 AM
There's also a hurricane forming in the Atlantic now.  Not sure where it'll hit.  As far south as Miami and north into the Carolina's. 

Irma. Too early to tell where she's going to end up

https://twitter.com/growingwisdom/status/902973503661633537
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

OJsDad

The explosion at the chemical plant this morning was caused by the loss of refrigeration when power went out.  They did have backup generators, but those failed due to the flood waters. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

And people laughed at me when I said the Solar Eclipse could be a portent of impending disaster for America. But people laugh at me all the time so I'm not affected by it... any more. Usually.  :idiot2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

We use Methy Ethyl Ketone Peroxide here at the shop. In yearly training (and new employees) I always point out that this is the worst stuff we've got. And we have foam binary agents that will turn into a poisonous acid if they catch on fire! -- but the MEKP hardener is worse. Very evil stuff.

Mom is naturally watching that chem factory with great interest and sympathy.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

http://jax.247sports.com/Bolt/Jaguars-owner-offers-to-swap-home-games-with-Texans-106700959

Jags owner offers to swap home games w/ the Texans so they're not rushing to get ready next weekend, even though it means the Jags would close the season w/ 3 straight road games, and give Houston 3 straight in a year when the Texans would be pushing for the playoffs.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

even the critters hated Harvey

mirth

BanzaiCat

Fuck that thing. Nasty little critters, opossums.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 01, 2017, 05:30:30 PM

I'm sure they're no fan of yours either

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on September 01, 2017, 05:35:47 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 01, 2017, 05:30:30 PM

I'm sure they're no fan of yours either

yep, they listen to the GrogCast, and have no idea who he is anymore ;D