Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by steve58, September 06, 2017, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Get a room you two!

Yes I am jealous.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

OJsDad

10 reported dead already in the Caribbean.

With Harvey taking a large amount of refining offline, it's causing issues with gas in Florida for people to evacuate.

In Miami, they're getting the sky high cranes ready.  To do this, they let them swing freely in the wind!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

https://twitter.com/SpaceflightNow/status/905507042781167616

QuoteWith the hurricane expected to hit Florida this weekend, Space-X and the USAF are going to try to get the X-37B's fifth mission underway before the storm hits the Space Coast. Two launch windows of roughly six hours open mid day on Thursday and Friday but weather could keep the launch from occurring. On Thursday there is a 50% chance of good weather, while on Friday there is only a 40% chance. If the space plane can't get into orbit by then it will have to ride out the storm at Cape Canaveral. This is the first time Space-X has attempted to launch an X-37B. 
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

mirth

mirth

JasonPratt

A lot of islands on the north side of that thing are about to get bushhogged.  :timeout: :wow: :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Several islands already have been..... :(

steve58

Track is not looking good for my sister in Charleston :(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

ComradeP

Pictures of the largest town on Sint Maarten from the air: https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/09/07/verwoest-sint-maarten-vanuit-de-lucht-gezien-a1572523

In the continental Netherlands, we've started preparing for more serious potential high water marks or flooding. "Once every one hundred years" never cut it for us.

It's mandatory for dykes and other protection mechanisms to withstand certain water levels/floods with a certain frequency of occurring. In 1996, the frequencies in the picture were used. Due to global warming, programs are underway to strengthen the defences against the water. The danger of flooding is something Dutchmen can't ignore due to most of the country being below sea level.

Most of the high water is assumed to come from the sea, but the black spots are on the Rhine, Waal and particularly the Maas rivers which have had a tendency to flood the surrounding farmlands. They've been given more rooms and floodplains since the last serious floods in the 1990's. Those were nothing close to what you're seeing in Texas or the Caribbean now, but they still nearly flooded several villages.

The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

GDS_Starfury

Toonces I need your update on this shit.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MikeGER

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 07, 2017, 01:01:21 PM
Toonces I need your update on this shit.

depends on the model calculations, the US model is the worst  ...with the center passing by near the coast  to the North   
shown is the time  period with predicted highest sustained windspeeds in km/h   (and time is shown in MEST, you have to subtract 6h for your timezone)

Sir Slash

If anybody's interested, I can get you a hell-of-a-deal on a room in Miami for this weekend.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.