Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by steve58, September 06, 2017, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Toonces on September 09, 2017, 06:56:26 AM
You know, every time you guys send a prayer for the folks in Florida God forgets to turn the heat on in Rhode Island and the temp drops 5 more degrees.   >:(

It's 55 right now where you are. Gonna get a lot colder than that in the next couple months.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Looks like Key West its going to get pasted pretty hard. My folks' winter house is just 20 miles north of there.

They've had to rebuild once before. I'm not sure they can manage it again at their age now (78 and 80).
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Just saw a Weather Channel update that says Irma is now headed straight for Tampa. The blow to Miami will be softened a bit but it sounds like Tampa is not nearly as ready.
Either way, the Keys will probably still get blitzed pretty hard.

Luckily my parents are up here in New England but my parents' close neighbors are hold up in yet another (absent) neighbor's vacant two story concrete house along with several other folks from their street. I really hope they stay away from the windows, no matter how much the temptation to go have a look...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bbmike

Still waiting for that north turn...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on September 09, 2017, 06:31:26 PM
Still waiting for that north turn...

that'll be José in a few days

Barthheart

Jose is spinning out to sea.

bayonetbrant

So it turns out that my buddy stationed at Key West that was originally supposed to stay b/c of his mission at SOUTHCOM was told to evacuate and he and his wife are at one of the hotels in the Disneyworld property, along with about 180 other folks from Key West AFB.  Disney's got them there at cost for the next week or so, and they'll be able to file a DOD travel voucher to get reimbursed when they get back.

mirth

Toonces

Irma delivered THE GOODS to the beaches and reefs of Rhode Island today.

3 hours in the water yesterday, 5 hours today, and the wife has tentatively agreed to a back rub.  And I'm sipping a Jack Daniels.

Does life get any better? 

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on September 09, 2017, 07:22:00 PM

Do I see just a wee hint of type III male pattern baldness?

j/k

GDS_Starfury

no.... pretty sure thas type middle aged.   O:-)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Boggit

Quote from: Toonces on September 09, 2017, 07:22:00 PM
Irma delivered THE GOODS to the beaches and reefs of Rhode Island today.

3 hours in the water yesterday, 5 hours today, and the wife has tentatively agreed to a back rub.  And I'm sipping a Jack Daniels.

I'm not sure whether you're finding the silver lining in the cloud, or indulging a bit of schadenfreude...  >:D
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat