The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I still have Task Force 1942 on 3" floppies. Dunno if I still have Across the Rhine or Silent Service 2 anymore. I may have traded them for credit at NWS 8 or 9 years ago.

IRRC, SS2 is also available on GOG.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I never played any of the Silent Service games. III looks good though...not sure, maybe someday.

I do recall playing a LOT of GATO on my grandfather's Apple IIc, though.  O0

Steelgrave

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 06, 2014, 07:09:49 PM
Also seeing Across The Rhine for $5.24 and Silent Service II for the same price I think.

Interesting stuff!

I nabbed SSII. I put lots and lots of hours into that game once upon a time. Might be fun to crank it up again, once I finish beating up Wasteland II and Civ BE.

Nefaro

Having the first Silent Hunter on GOG or Steam would be the most ideal regarding old sub sim games.  It's not so ancient that it looks and plays far too simple for modern tastes, but looks decent enough and (most importantly) still has the same kind of old school campaign play that made these great. 

I played the living hell out of the original Silent Service, but there's no way I would get into any of the Silent Service series nowadays, even considering the nostalgia.  Gots mah limits!

I'm pretty sure Task Force 1942 used the same DOS engine that the original Silent Hunter did.  Because they look almost exactly the same, other than the specific focus.

Nefaro

Also..

Double check your email.

Another Gamersgate discount code for November showed up in mine.  20% anything in the store.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on November 06, 2014, 11:39:45 PM

I'm pretty sure Task Force 1942 used the same DOS engine that the original Silent Hunter did.  Because they look almost exactly the same, other than the specific focus.

Actually, TF:1042's 3d graphics system was based on the Night Hawk F-117 game engine. The strategic layer was later reused for the strategic portion of the 1942: Pacific Air War flight sim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_Force_1942
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 07, 2014, 06:26:51 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 06, 2014, 11:39:45 PM

Actually, TF:1042's 3d graphics system was based on the Night Hawk F-117 game engine. The strategic layer was later reused for the strategic portion of the 1942: Pacific Air War flight sim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_Force_1942

I was guessing strictly by the likenesses, notably the gray and blue UI bars and map screen.  Check these shots of Silent Hunter out.  Notably the the UI windows and the gauges.

Silent Hunter

TF1942:

TF42

SH1

It may just be due to having a similar subject and both originally being created for DOS.  Silent Hunter is obviously higher resolution (and probably one of the best-looking DOS games ever made) so it could just be coincidence. 

JasonPratt

Not gonna lie: I still have dreams based on playing Silent Service 1 and 2. But I sure don't know whether I'd be able to get back into them.

I was never able to get SH2 to work properly on any system I owned, so I never bothered to try any others in that series -- though naturally I own GG copies of SH3 and 4 (I think) anyway because they were on sale and people praise the series to high heaven.  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 07, 2014, 12:17:03 PM
Not gonna lie: I still have dreams based on playing Silent Service 1 and 2. But I sure don't know whether I'd be able to get back into them.

I was never able to get SH2 to work properly on any system I owned, so I never bothered to try any others in that series -- though naturally I own GG copies of SH3 and 4 (I think) anyway because they were on sale and people praise the series to high heaven.  :buck2:

SH2 sucked.  Hell, SH3 has some annoying flaws and I've refused to play it for years.

The original Silent Hunter was superb.  I think it still looks good, especially for a DOS game.  It was pretty much the same gameplay as the old Silent Service games, but with more sim fidelity and much prettier.  I'd like to see it hit GOG sometime because I would often rather play that than one of the newer flashy 3D ones that require hordes of Mods and bug fixes.  Whereas just firing up the original SH.. it doesn't need it to provide a good old-fashioned Pacific sub campaign.

I actually did the DOSbox tweaking to get my disk copy of SH1 to work back around '07.  It was still a lot of fun.  Just a pain in the ass to put the commands into DOSbox to get it to read the disk, and other DOSbox tweaks required to play it.  So maybe I'll go see if it's up for an addition vote at GOG.  :)

donkey_roxor

Endless Legend Founder's Edition for 50% off ($22.49):

http://www.wingamestore.com/product/3652/Endless-Legend-Founder-Edition/

Found via Reddit Gamedeals.

Huw the Poo

OOTP 15 is 75% off at Gamersgate at the moment.  Cheapest I've ever seen it.  I might get it myself even though I can't imagine when I'll have time to learn it!

Can't link because I'm on my phone.

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

steve58

Matrixgames Deal of the week is Panzer Corps: Allied Corps.  $9.99 for the digital download.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)