The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Pretty sure Defender of the Crown inspired me to actually read "Ivanhoe" and learn who the "Templars" were.

Such a geek, even back then... Good times...

JasonPratt

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 14, 2014, 03:28:11 PMLoved sending plague and 'greek fire' over the walls. no option to catapult cows, however.

Sure there was.

Plague cows.

You know. Heretic cows devoted to Nurgle.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 14, 2014, 03:28:11 PM
Although the dueling was as I recall really hard.

Hold up (parry) constantly.  Occasionally tap fire (thrust) when your opponent has just attacked.  Win every time. :P

Gusington

I also read Ivanhoe while playing Defender of the Crown. I think I was grounded and had to stay in my room for a whole weekend...IIRC I read Ivanhoe for English class while punished. To this day I don't think I told my Mom that I read and enjoyed it :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I suppose I should clarify a point not specifically clarified otherwise regarding the Space Hulk Ascension discount on Steam right now: there's a 10% launch discount, which is stacking with a 15% loyalty discount for anyone owning the previous SH title on Steam. I can verify it does count as 25% off under those circumstances, but it's only the standard 10% release discount otherwise.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

I almost did the Cinemaware collection, but decided to get back into my Fallout New Vegas DLC content I'd downloaded a long time ago but never got to.

steve58

Bundle Stars has Europa Universailis IV for $7.99 and several of the DLC on sale (Res Publica $1.70, Wealth of Nations, $3.39, and others)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

Note that the Cinemaware collection features the original version of Wings, not the remastered edition.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

tgb

Hannibal is a brilliant game and anyone here that doesn't already own it needs to grab it at that price.  I keep hoping that it shows up on Steam one day.  Wasn't the developer supposed to be working on a follow-up game?  It's been years since I've heard anything.

PanzersEast

Quote from: tgb on November 17, 2014, 11:34:40 AM
Hannibal is a brilliant game and anyone here that doesn't already own it needs to grab it at that price.  I keep hoping that it shows up on Steam one day.  Wasn't the developer supposed to be working on a follow-up game?  It's been years since I've heard anything.

I believe I remember when this came out but I believe I was playing Alea Jacta Est and never purchased..... it looks interesting but I remember hearing how difficult it was, but overall a good game.

PE

tgb

It is difficult, and being a baord game at heart, feels a little limiting since you can only play as Carthage on a single map, but there are several ways to approach the invasion of Rome.

After my previous post, I went to the developers website to find he's still working on the sequel, The Fall of Rome.  The graphics don't seem to have the period flavor of the first, and that's a little disappointing.

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 17, 2014, 11:50:08 AM
Quote from: tgb on November 17, 2014, 11:34:40 AM

I believe I remember when this came out but I believe I was playing Alea Jacta Est and never purchased..... it looks interesting but I remember hearing how difficult it was, but overall a good game.

PE

Hannibal came out quite awhile before AJE did. 

If you enjoy tabletop grand strategy wargames of the point-to-point style, it's excellent.  The AI opponent can be pretty tricksy too, which is unusual for any PC strategy game.  I also think it has a nice unique charm about it's grahpics and interface style. 

It also has a good series of tutorials to teach you the game, along with an in-game encyclopedia.  The descriptions and game mechanic info on individual items & UI features can be reached by a simple right-click.

At $10, it's a steal for a challenging single-player wargame.  One that doesn't take years to finish.

Last I checked, the developer is still busy working on his next project which will be larger in scope.

airboy

I appreciate the feedback on the Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the 2nd Punic War.  It seems like something that I would enjoy.

PanzersEast

Quote from: airboy on November 18, 2014, 10:03:06 AM
I appreciate the feedback on the Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the 2nd Punic War.  It seems like something that I would enjoy.

I looked through the tutorial and have to say the game has a lot of immersion and atmosphere.  From the fonts to the ui, very well done game thus far and have to say it is one I believe I am going to really enjoy!

PE