The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Just keep in mind that a lot of those Heroes of M&M games use UPlay as their DRM.  Some folks may have issues with that...like me.

Not telling you what to do, just advising you to be aware in case it's something that would otherwise alter your purchasing decision.   :-X
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Toonces on April 28, 2015, 08:32:37 PM
Just keep in mind that a lot of those Heroes of M&M games use UPlay as their DRM.

Yeah that certainly would've locked me out...if any of these games had been available on Linux at all...

Greybriar

Quote from: mirth on April 28, 2015, 06:31:01 PM
Oh sweet baby Jeebus

https://www.humblebundle.com/?logo&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_campaign=1164addada-Humble_Might_and_Magic_Bundle&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_990b1b6399-1164addada-128123237

That is a terrific compilation! Note that HoMM3 is the HD version and does not include its expansions Armageddon's Blade or The Shadow of Death; so no random map generator in addition to missing many missions, epic campaigns, single scenario maps, and several Shadow of Death campaigns. I would still buy the bundle if I didn't already own everything in it several times over.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

I guess for obvious (and painful) reasons they won't do the Manassas battles, but did the old 2nd Man game ever get modded for 1st Man? (I own both but I'm not sure 1 Man will even run on Win8.1, or 2nd Man for that matter; and naturally the game system is better in the later game.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 29, 2015, 06:22:24 PM
I guess for obvious (and painful) reasons they won't do the Manassas battles, but did the old 2nd Man game ever get modded for 1st Man? (I own both but I'm not sure 1 Man will even run on Win8.1, or 2nd Man for that matter; and naturally the game system is better in the later game.)

????

JasonPratt

Scourge of War is based more-or-less on a previous game series which simulated the 1st and (with a better engine) the 2nd Battles of Manassas. (I've possibly mis-spelled that.) The devs split for sad reasons, Scourge of War being the result. I own both the previous games (and three of the SoWs), but hadn't ever installed 2nd Man, so was wondering if anyone knew whether the 1st Man scenarios had been modded into the later game.

(When I went looking around in the Matrix forums, I didn't find anyone had created mods for the Manassas battles in the SoW engine; and it's doubtful the devs will ever do them for legal / ethical reasons.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Looks like you can still buy Take Command: 2nd Manassas:

http://sites.fastspring.com/norbsoftware/product/takecommand2ndmanassas

That's from a link at Madminutegames.com.

???  On Gamersgate you find this:

QuoteTake Command - 2nd Manassas
"We at Paradox Interactive would hereby officially like to confirm and acknowledge that the rights to the game "Take Command 2nd Manassas" belong to Mad Minute Game. We would like to apologies for having mistakenly offered it as a gifted version under our publishing label via GamersGate".

http://www.gamersgate.com/info/take-command
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

If I understand the Take Command: 2nd Manassas threads/forums properly, the dev(s) made the game open source a while back.  If you surf around on their site there are a ton of mods available for the game now, including the American Revolution, Napoleonic Wars, and some other stuff I don't even recognize.  There are also a bunch of Civil War battles/maps including all the normal ones: Gettysburg, Antietam, etc.

I have not tried any of the mods yet, but as I'm about to go back to my dinosaur laptop for a few months, I've been looking into what is out there for TC2M since it should run pretty good on it.  I don't think SoW will run well.

http://www.madminutegames.com/mods.htm

There is a bit of a process to adding mods, and it didn't sound intuitive, and I also haven't tried it.  So ensure you do your homework before you do anything!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

-budd-

I tried the demo it runs fine on win7 pro, had to buy it O0
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 29, 2015, 06:41:52 PM
Scourge of War is based more-or-less on a previous game series which simulated the 1st and (with a better engine) the 2nd Battles of Manassas. (I've possibly mis-spelled that.) The devs split for sad reasons, Scourge of War being the result. I own both the previous games (and three of the SoWs), but hadn't ever installed 2nd Man, so was wondering if anyone knew whether the 1st Man scenarios had been modded into the later game.

(When I went looking around in the Matrix forums, I didn't find anyone had created mods for the Manassas battles in the SoW engine; and it's doubtful the devs will ever do them for legal / ethical reasons.)

I didn't know exactly what you were talking about since you didn't mention the game title in your post, and this being the Sales Thread.

Take Command: 2nd Manassas
works just fine, last I checked.  If you want to raise the screen resolution, you have to change some values in a 3rd party mod program in order to change the location of the compass or it will be in the middle of your screen.  Unfortunately the camera moved slow as hell last time I ran it on a higher resolution, which was annoying.

steve58

Steam has Ultimate General: Gettysburg on sale for $7.49 until May 8.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Skoop

Quote from: steve58 on May 01, 2015, 11:43:42 AM
Steam has Ultimate General: Gettysburg on sale for $7.49 until May 8.

Well worth it, finished this last week.  The campaign is a lot of fun, graffics are cool, they look like the battle panoramas I us to stare at in civil war books as a kid.

Gusington

^Is this the game done by Darth Vader, the TW modder?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd