The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Darkest Dungeon is 33% off on Midweek Madness sale.

I'd still pay full price for it, even in Early Access.  O0

BanzaiCat

Not sure if it's still active, but I grabbed Dungeon Siege III for less than $5 on Steam a couple of days ago. I think it's part of the weekly sale, but then again it might have only been 48 hours. Played it about an hour last night; nothing terribly amazing nor awful about it so far, just kind of average.

I'd get Darkest Dungeon but I'll wait for a bigger sale. I have other shinies to play with now anyway.

JasonPratt

The expandalone upgrade to Planetary Annihilation, Planetary Annihilation: Titans, has been released on Steam (I saw Jarhead playing it last night).

For people who already bought the original Early Access game, there's a 66% discount (being sold for not quite $14 if I recall correctly) until sometime in October. And it's free for anyone who backed the Kickstarter.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Nefaro, I noticed the sale, and also noticed a lot of recent negative reviews saying that the devs have made the game waaaay too hard trying to balance it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

That's exactly why I held off on Darkest Dungeon too. Nefaro what say you?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 19, 2015, 06:40:11 AM
Not sure if it's still active, but I grabbed Dungeon Siege III for less than $5 on Steam a couple of days ago. I think it's part of the weekly sale, but then again it might have only been 48 hours. Played it about an hour last night; nothing terribly amazing nor awful about it so far, just kind of average.

I'd get Darkest Dungeon but I'll wait for a bigger sale. I have other shinies to play with now anyway.

I played 1 and 2 and enjoyed them both for what they are....action rpg's. As far as that genre goes they are pretty good. Many hours of hack&slash&looting to be had!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 19, 2015, 07:26:43 AM
Nefaro, I noticed the sale, and also noticed a lot of recent negative reviews saying that the devs have made the game waaaay too hard trying to balance it.

Quote from: Gusington on August 19, 2015, 07:27:47 AM
That's exactly why I held off on Darkest Dungeon too. Nefaro what say you?

I've not played it in the last month or two, while waiting on further content additions.

From my past experience, people were finding exploits to the difficulty mechanics.  Such as not buying & taking torches through the dungeons and still managing to make it with some special approach.  I got the impression that torches are an inegral part of the difficulty and if your party's light gets too low, that you should suffer from the resulting penalties.  But they were mitigating it & turning it into a cakewalk; something I'm pretty sure the devs didn't intend. 

From what I've read, that torch thing has been changed.  Whether that makes it more difficult or not for everyone, and not just the exploiters, I don't know.  I'd be playing Darkest Dungeon right now if I weren't on a World of Warships addiction, but DD is still missing it's final area so I've been waiting for more updates.  That's not to say it's unplayable.. I put about 20 hours into it and was nowhere near finished with what's in there.

One other thing about game difficulty complaints on Steam Forums - sometimes they're bunk when it comes to a Roguelike.  I expect roguelikes to be extremely difficult to win, but you know how some gamers were raised on Easy Mode stuff and come to expect that in all of their games.  The other roguelike forum complaint I always see in droves regards permadeath.  Constant complaining about that, too.  So take them with a grain of salt. 

I've been planning to fire up DD again soon.  Seriously.. it's at the top of my list (along with Invisible, Inc.) so I'll update in the DD thread after spending some time with the latest.

EDIT:  Evidently there was just another "balancing" update that improved one of the many character classes and nerfed one of the monster's special abilities that seems well-received.  Although there are those who thought it was okay before, of course.  ;D

-budd-

a bunch of Heroes of Might & Magic games in a weekly humble bundle.
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

True about Steam complaints of Roguelikes; but what struck me about these complaints were that, as far as the ones I had read, they all agreed the game was hard but fair before. They weren't looking for an easy game.

WallysWorld

A special 50% off sale for Combat Combat: Gateway to Caen on both Matrix's website and on Steam:   http://matrixgames.com/news/1777/Close.Combat:.Gateway.to.Caen.gets.50.percent.of.discount!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

Pillars of Eternity on sale at Steam for 30.00...I'll be downloading this when I get home.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on August 25, 2015, 02:04:19 PM
Pillars of Eternity on sale at Steam for 30.00...I'll be downloading this when I get home.

Tempting...but holding out for 50% discount or more...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Toonces

^ Yeah.  I can wait until Xmas for this one.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

sandman2575

Quote from: Gusington on August 25, 2015, 02:04:19 PM

Your new avatar literally made me laugh out loud.  Well played, sir.   :coolsmiley:
(just had to mention that...)

Gusington

^Steelgrave made me do it :)

Downloading Pillars of Eternity right now. For those interested, the White March expansion was released today also. I almost picked that up and had a moment of clarity to see if I liked the base game first.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd