Started by Bison, December 17, 2012, 07:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2013, 09:07:29 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 11, 2013, 08:52:52 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 11, 2013, 08:35:53 PM
^Once again, he shoots... he scores!!!!

He is on a roll tonight

Quick, somebody tell that to my girlfriend.  She's being difficult.

I'm stunned.  How can one, of the fairer sex, not appreciated your humor?  8)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

She's had too much time at the Cantina.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2013, 09:15:03 PM

That should make things easier.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2013, 08:18:17 PM
Just received this response from the White House:

This Is Not the Petition Response You're Looking For

By Paul Shawcross, Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
However, look carefully (here's how) and you'll notice something already floating in the sky -- that's no Moon, it's a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six astronauts -- American, Russian, and Canadian -- living in it right now, conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing onboard garbage mashers, etc. We've also got two robot science labs -- one wielding a laser -- roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet.

Keep in mind, space is no longer just government-only. Private American companies, through NASA's Commercial Crew and Cargo Program Office (C3PO), are ferrying cargo -- and soon crew -- to space for NASA, and are pursuing human missions to the Moon this decade.

Even though the United States doesn't have anything that can do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, we've got two spacecraft leaving the Solar System and we're building a probe that will fly to the exterior layers of the Sun. We are discovering hundreds of new planets in other star systems and building a much more powerful successor to the Hubble Space Telescope that will see back to the early days of the universe.

We don't have a Death Star, but we do have floating robot assistants on the Space Station, a President who knows his way around a light saber and advanced (marshmallow) cannon, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is supporting research on building Luke's arm, floating droids, and quadruped walkers.

We are living in the future! Enjoy it. Or better yet, help build it by pursuing a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field. The President has held the first-ever White House science fairs and Astronomy Night on the South Lawn because he knows these domains are critical to our country's future, and to ensuring the United States continues leading the world in doing big things.

If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field, the Force will be with us! Remember, the Death Star's power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Tell us what you think about this response and We the People.

Stay Connected

Stay connected to the White House by signing up for periodic email updates from President Obama and other senior administration officials.

Facebook      Twitter      YouTube      Flickr      Google+   

The White House • 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW • Washington, DC 20500 • 202-456-1111

Best response EVAH.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 09:39:07 PM

There's a critical particle injection window between Reactor at Cold Start (1st drink) and Runaway Reaction/core breach/China Syndrome (doorslam/flying pots&pans) that has to be anticipated for a control rod insertion to be successful in achieving long term reactor stability (Good morning to you too!)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 09:39:07 PM

You'd think so, but lines have been crossed.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

^Ignore my flip comment above. There are lines and there are lines. I hope there's still time to step back.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 11, 2013, 10:00:36 PM
^Ignore my flip comment above. There are lines and there are lines. I hope there's still time to step back.  :(

Nothing dramatic. Limits for intoxicants were tested and exceeded. Now I get to watch 40 Year Old Virgin on USA.

Bison

This is complete crap.  I want a Deathstar not some lame ass we don't support blowing up planets party line.  I'm sure if the Deathstar's purpose was to blow up economies they'd have jumped all over that opportunity.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on January 11, 2013, 10:11:50 PM
This is complete crap.  I want a Deathstar not some lame ass we don't support blowing up planets party line.  I'm sure if the Deathstar's purpose was to blow up economies they'd have jumped all over that opportunity.

I believe you're on to something. Time to submit another petition!

mirth

You know full well that they'd be okay with blowing up red planets.

Bison

Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2013, 10:14:41 PM

No they'd be fine with blowing up planets they believe to be undergoing AWG...oh crap....

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2013, 10:14:41 PM

<chuckle>

Longdan

They'd be okay blowing up any foreign planets, especially brown ones.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

bayonetbrant

when I first read this (reading quickly, mind you) I read it as "She's had too much time in Canada"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers