Fire in the lake. Vietnam COIN boardgame

Started by jomni, August 01, 2013, 12:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Four fractions,  with automated decision tree each if you don't have enough players. Solitaire friendly.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-450-fire-in-the-lake.aspx

bayonetbrant

We're working on trying to get an interview with the design team.  We've been following this for a while :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Ubercat

I'm definitely pre-ordering. I got to play a demo game at WBC.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Ubercat on August 03, 2013, 01:21:28 PM
I'm definitely pre-ordering. I got to play a demo game at WBC.

How was the demo?  Did it "feel" right for the conflict as we knew it?  How about counterfactuals - do you have an opportunity to try and change things in a significant way?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Ubercat

It was a short game, probably only a 3rd of the length of a full one. There were 3 newbs at a time having the rules explained by the volunteer playtester running the demo (who was also controlling the NVA). It would have moved much faster with experienced players. I didn't get the full experience of all the nuances but I got enough. I was the only newb that stayed through the entire game.

The great thing to me is that it's a 2 V. 2 "team" game. You can call it that because your interests in the game will be mostly aligned with your team mates, but not completely. Victory conditions determine an individual winner so you do need to look out for a back stab, and try to initiate one of your own. Back stab may be too strong a word but that's basically what it is. You want to play the events and perform your actions in a way to pull ahead of you ally, but at the same time you have to cooperate sufficiently to keep the other team from winning because neither of you have anything to gain from their success.

I was the ARVN and managed to stop the American player from achieving his individual victory condition just before the game ended. None of us achieved individual victory conditions and we didn't bother calculating who came closest.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell