Time to Dump Microsoft Security Essentials Anti-Virus

Started by SgtRock, October 07, 2013, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

DoctorQuest

I've had good luck with Avast. MSE is kind of like the fox watching the henhouse. Windows continues to have security holes you can fly an Imperial Star Destroyer through. I hate to think how much time companies spend keeping up with Windows security updates. Most companies that want to get any work done still run a mainframe. No system is completely hacker proof but there are matters of degree.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Barthheart

Here's a link to where the quote came from...

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/384394/microsoft-security-essentials-is-designed-to-be-bottom-of-the-antivirus-rankings

Not as damaging as the first one makes it to be.

I've used MSE for years now with no problems.... but I must admit I steer clear of the underbelly of the interwebs....

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Shelldrake

I have MSE running alongside Immunet 3.0 and so far have not had any problems.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

JasonPratt

I've been running MSE (aka Windows Defender) all year on THE PRESENCE and have had no problems... that I know about.  ??? :o

I may go back to Avast soon, though, after reading this.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!