Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

GDS_Starfury

no Apaches or Aradvarks in RTW2.  :(
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 28, 2013, 08:49:49 PM
Shoot. Aren't I just the wanker? I just impulse bought it on steam and had no idea there was a sale offer from another retailer.

For some reason, some of the British pc game retailers tend to sell their pre-orders of the Total War series for cheaper. 

Must be something to do with the dev company being British.  They give them special pricing or something?  I purchased both Shogun 2, and now Rome 2, through Get Games Go (another Brit shop) for a larger discount than anywhere else.

SEE!  GetGames has the TW Rome 2 pre-order for $46.76!!!
(22% off)
http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/total-war-rome-2-po

They had a similarly sizable pre-order discount with Shogun 2.

Grim.Reaper

Saw it at this shop for $40....but don't have any experience with this company.....I already pre ordered long ago, but others might be interested in it.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/total-war-rome-ii-2-with-greek-states-culture-pack-bonus-dlc-code-by-email-game-pc

Also, they have a $35 version, but does not include greek dlc.
http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/total-war-rome-ii-2-code-by-email-game-pc

Staggerwing

Just checked this AM and Rome2 finished preloading overnight. Woot!

Still, wouldn't it be a pisser if the game required a last minute patch at release day from the same stalled servers that everyone else will be trying to buy their full copy from?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 29, 2013, 05:07:36 AM
Just checked this AM and Rome2 finished preloading overnight. Woot!

Still, wouldn't it be a pisser if the game required a last minute patch at release day from the same stalled servers that everyone else will be trying to buy their full copy from?

They already said day one content patch will need to be downloaded I believe.

Staggerwing

May have to try playing off-line on the first day then.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Yes - the day one patch is set to make Pontus playable.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Seems like the download is significantly smaller than I was expecting.

Sir Slash

That's perfect Bison but can you make him look MEANNNN...? >:( >:(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on August 29, 2013, 07:50:12 AM
Seems like the download is significantly smaller than I was expecting.

Oh.. there'll be further downloading on release day.  I assure you. 

I think they must've had some serious compression on the pre-load to only be what?  15GB?  And we're still missing assets, if only Pontus.  Hopefully it won't take hours to download on the 3rd, however.  :D

RooksBailey

One of the devs was on the forum yesterday and said the 35gb install that is mentioned in the requirements includes future content, as well as temp HDD space during the install process.  Here is the quote:

Quote9.9gb is correct, it will uncompress to a larger size at launch. The game will not be the full 35gb noted in the recommended specs at launch because that includes an estimate of additional space for future content updates, temporary disc space needed at install and so on. The actual size of the game on your hard drive at launch once you've finished installing will be around 18gb.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

RooksBailey

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a pre-order for R2, but I have to say that I am having some reservations lately.  It is because of that AAR that one of the CA guys have been posting on the official forum.  Now, I think it was nice of CA to allow an AAR prior to the game's release, but there are a few things in that AAR that are setting off red flags in my mind. 

First, there have been no pictures of any tactical battles.  Mr. Lusted has clearly been fighting out the battles, but he hasn't posted even a single screenshot.  I have to ask "why?"

Second, in a recent battle Mr. Lusted had a single general unit versus seven enemy units...and he won!  Mr. Lusted went to great lengths to explain how he got very lucky in the battle, and if he had to fight that battle another dozen times he would lose every time.  Hmm.  I fear the AI might not be that competent if such a lopsided victory is possible even once.

Third, Mr. Lusted has been cleaning up the map, grabbing territory like crazy against the AI.  Some have pointed out that this is because he has made smart use of diplomacy - he had allowed the AI factions to chew each other down and then he has moved in to take the spoils.  But, again, this seems to me another sign of weak AI. 

Fourth, the AI seems to have a lot of small stacks running around the map, instead of merging them into one formidable stack.  Again, AI concerns....

Now, this could all just be nitpicking on my part.  But I remain cautious.  Gaming is going through an awful spat of mediocre games, big budget or otherwise, and I am tired of getting burned, or near-burned (fortunately, my "wait and see" approach to game buying has already paid for itself more than once ;D).  I was going to break from that approach for this game seeing how I loved the original, and...well, I really want those TF2 extras.  :-[  :D  But I have to say that AAR is making me more suspicious than confident at the moment. 

Well, I have until next Tuesday to make up my mind, so I will wait as long as possible.  Hopefully we will get a demo, or an early review by then.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Gusington

^All good points and reasons enough on their own to not pre-purchase. You have studied that AAR like Matlock studied a court case.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I've never really been disappointed with a Total War game and that includes Empire.