Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Yep. Best bet right there. Simple mods that add skins, maybe a few units...some basic battlefield mod stuff to make battles better and off you go. I do use radious campaign mod and his economy/research mod but I've found those hold up fairly well during patches. While I appreciate CA rolling out patches and fixes and such, I wish they would wait a few months and make the patches bigger. Most of the little easy things have been tidied up. If I have to start over, I want to have to do so because the game will be better. Not because they chamfer something in the code that just screws up something.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

My game is till patched at the Patch 10 beta...you all have Patch 11?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on March 30, 2014, 04:56:26 PM
My game is till patched at the Patch 10 beta...you all have Patch 11?

Umm.. yes?  I think so.

I'm not sure what it's officially labelled, or where to look.  It was a big patch that came out the night before the Hannibal DLC was released.

Gusington

Weird. I installed the Hannibal business last night but my patch still reads as 10-beta.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on March 30, 2014, 05:03:45 PM
Weird. I installed the Hannibal business last night but my patch still reads as 10-beta.

I regularly verify my files for Rome 2 if I suspect any funk. 

I recall your exact case happening to me months ago in Rome 2 after an update.  The file check may have replaced one tiny thing.  Not sure it ever showed the proper version number but it seemed to have already been updated despite showing the wrong one.

Yskonyn

My Rome 2 listing in my games library often reverts to saying Rom 2 - Total War (patch 9 beta) for some reason, eventhough I have it patched up to the most recent offering. Weird stuff.
In-game it does show the latest version number, though.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on March 30, 2014, 05:03:45 PM

im at 10beta with nothing left in the beta options box

Gusington

Everything ran fine when I booted it up Saturday night but I did not check the version number on the load screen. But if you guys had similar weirdness I am not going to stress about it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 29, 2014, 10:41:50 AM
All my old mods are working just like prior to patch 11. There's a disclaimer that says these mods are out of date and may cause CTD but I've had none so far even though 2 of my mods have not been updated in months. With Radious, the 4 TPY is still in effect but now there's atmospheric effects like snow in some areas. So far no snow in summer or anything like this. There seems to be a lot of "Unseasonal Conditions" every turn even before patch 10. Isn't it ever just "Normal" weather anywhere?

I haven't been running many mods.  For the last few days I've played vanilla Hannibal DLC and haven't seen anything particularly odd.  I really like the 1-month turns and the overall better scale and focus.  The Western Med is a big place in 218 BC and as Carthage, I've beaten the Romans in some peripheral engagements, but the AI is handling its Romans very well and I'm pretty bogged down fighting Barbarians and Etruscans from the Atlas Mountains to Italy.  The whole thing feels like the 2nd Punic war all over again.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Nefaro

I have an older translation of Livy on my Kindle (along with Tacitus and some other stuff on the subject) but it may not hurt getting a more recent edition for $1.  So thanks for convincing me to be a big spender! ;)

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: MengJiao on March 31, 2014, 08:50:59 AM
  I haven't been running many mods.  For the last few days I've played vanilla Hannibal DLC and haven't seen anything particularly odd.  I really like the 1-month turns and the overall better scale and focus.  The Western Med is a big place in 218 BC and as Carthage, I've beaten the Romans in some peripheral engagements, but the AI is handling its Romans very well and I'm pretty bogged down fighting Barbarians and Etruscans from the Atlas Mountains to Italy.  The whole thing feels like the 2nd Punic war all over again.

I played over the weekend the first 30 turns of a Vanilla - no mods whatsoever - campaign, and I must say that the Etruscans AI gave me a good run for my money. After conquering the last Etruscan settlement in Corsica, the AI went on "full auto fire" mode and recruited a bunch of mercenaries to reinforce their fledgling, and counterattacking with it right away. The ensuing battle in the - just conquered - Alalia was very tense, as my army hadn't had time to make up for its previous losses. Things went literally down to the triarii.

I don't recall seeing this behavior before (I hadn't played since Christmas I reckon), yet I still do think that the AI doesn't grasp fully the mechanics of Rome II. On the other hand, definitely I can see some notable progress.

Nefaro

The AI has certainly improved since last year.  Although they may have increased the income and/or army upkeep cheats that AI powers get as part of that.

I was recently finishing off the last settlement of an AI nation (Corsica IIRC?).  After sending a spy in, I checked the city's income value.  It was in the 50s and I kept sabotaging their main building (so it was as bad or worse than that).  Yet the AI still managed to maintain two full armies of Italian Spearmen with a smattering of cavalry and a small 5-galley fleet for many turns.  I was barely staying in the black covering the cost of 2.5 armies and an equivalently sized navy, and that when owning five or six settlements!

I still think the developers upped the AI income/upkeep bonus in recent months.  It's a poor way of raising difficulty.  If they want to add more cheats, then I'd prefer they add an extra difficulty level with the new levels.  It just makes taking cities now require multiple armies if the AI has enough turns to crank out a constant stream of troops to stack in them.   

Which also brings me to another complaint:  Some of the player agent abilities don't work properly.  A specific one is the poison army command which is supposed to prevent an enemy army from being reinforced/reinforcing.  They still reinforce each other even when you succeed and the little symbol and tooltip on their army says it's in effect.  I can get over the extra AI cheats & such to an extent, but bugs like this that have been ongoing combine to get pretty frustrating.  Can only play in short spurts before finding things like this and quitting.  :-\

Nefaro

Think I'm gonna give it another go with a new campaign.

Found the Lux Aeterna [Side] UI Mod.  It adds some stylized UI art, depending on which faction you play.  Something I thought the game was really missing from previous versions of TW.  I'm not very happy with some games ditching stylized UI art for the crappy plastic-looking transparent interfaces, and Rome 2 is certainly a good example.

Sir Slash

I recently restarted a Seleucid campaign with Radious to see how the game had changed from my first Seleucid campaign at release. The eastern satrapices all revolted as in my first campaign but then about half, on the same turn, offered peace treaties, some even paying a lot of cash to get it. The result was everybody east of Persia was at war with me but Persia being neutral gave me a buffer between us. Other states at war with me continued offering peace deals afterward, even Quidri who I started at war with. Egypt declared war on me turn 1, and then refused to accept any peace deal I made them even after losing Jerusalem and Petra. This was much different from the first campaign where I had to react to threats to the east and north and was quite a challenge. I was playing on the "Normal" difficulty level and thought maybe "Hard" would be more challenging but restarting at the "Hard" level resulted in almost the exact same events in the exact same order. Not sure if the changes are more from the patches or from Radious or both but it seems to have been made a little easier to win. My 2 cents. :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.