That time of year has come again to scare Gus!

Started by JasonPratt, September 15, 2017, 11:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Moreb

Quote from: Gusington on September 28, 2017, 08:57:07 PM
Uh...your Mom's chicken is wearing a fedora?

Close. My mom is wearing a chicken as a fedora.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Moreb

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 28, 2017, 08:26:33 PM
Sorry, that was a little over-the-top language-wise, even for me.

Bah!  I've heard worse at my  grandsons last Cub Scout meeting. They really get going when they've had too much to drink
When dongles fly? - mirth

Sir Slash

I once wore a chicken for Halloween. So I could ask the pretty girls if they wanted a little 'Cock-a Doodle-Doo'.  ^-^  My luck... I didn't get lucky but the chicken did.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: airboy on September 28, 2017, 09:48:04 AM
I'm playing Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father 20th Anniversary Edition from gog.  The game is broken up into days where you must accomplish certain things to advance to the next day.  I'm currently on Day 4.

The rework is pretty good.  So far, none of the basic puzzles or story line has changed.  I remember enough of it from the last time I played to get through the game.  The reworked game does not have the timing issue from playing a DOS game, has a space bar to indicate hotspots so you don't have to play "hunt for the magic pixel," and retains all of the psychological buildup of the original.  It has been pretty fun, probably great fun for someone who has never played it.

I finished it after 1.5 days of play.  It is better than the original - but not a lot different from the original.  Unfortunately, there is no screen capture on the program and greenshot would not work.  So I got no screenshots.  Still, my mind is refreshed enough to write a review for the mystery mobile front plate that does not exist.

BanzaiCat

I played it a bit yesterday to get a feel for it. If you press and hold the Space Bar, every object you can interact with will appear on the screen, just like airboy said. I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it - that's pretty amazing for a game from the early 90s.

JasonPratt

I think I heard that the space-bar highlight was added much later.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 29, 2017, 07:50:44 AM
I think I heard that the space-bar highlight was added much later.

Yep - 20 years later on the Anniversary edition!

BanzaiCat

That would have been a helluva pixel hunt pre-Anniversary edition, then!

Just pressing the space bar in that first scene must bring up 25 or so hot spots.  :o

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, Gus I don't recall, did you ever get around to playing Batman: Arkham Asylum for one of those prior Halloweens?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

B:AA isn't scary, though. It's awesomely thematic and a tad creepy, but not scary.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Gusington

Hmm have not heard of Die Young, will check that out.

Have not played Batman: Arkham Asylum either, but I only got it just a few months ago which is nothing in Gus Time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 29, 2017, 11:05:38 AM
That would have been a helluva pixel hunt pre-Anniversary edition, then!

Just pressing the space bar in that first scene must bring up 25 or so hot spots.  :o

Yep - there are a lot in the bookstore, the voodoo museum and the drugstore.