The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Well I'm almost done with chapter one of the story.  The story is broken down into chapters with each chapter having several linear missions that must be completed.  At the end of each mission there is a mini boss to fight and at the end of the chapter there is a big boss to fight.  Pretty standard stuff so far.

What I like about the game is the artwork, the story, and the scenery.  The setting is kind of like during the middle ages and the landscape so far looks like a mix of western european forests and scandinavian snow covered mountains.  You start off with a simple melee combo skill but as you level up you can purchase more complex and powerful skills.  I haven't gotten anything magical skill wise yet but I suspect that comes later.  There are slots in your character profile you can fill with all sorts of items and weapons.  Not as super detailed as Skyrim but there are an acceptable amount of goodies you can get for your character.  There is no character type selection however, you are playing as a paladin type dude and that's it.  Primarily because of story reasons.  This is part of what I meant when I said this game is definitely a JRPG at heart.   

Combat is fairly straightforward.  Kind of like a hack 'n slash dynasty warriors type affair but a bit more slower.  Not a button mashing game but not a thinking mans combat game like ARMA or Skyrim. 

And I forgot to mention that the story is narrated by Jean luc Picard!  But his voice tone is kind of forced and not as natural sounding as the story tellers in Diablo III.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

For the Flight Simmers out there..

Rex with Overdrive is on sale for 22 bucks and change... I paid 44 something a few weeks ago  :P

http://www.fspilotshop.com/real-environment-xtreme-rex-essential-plus-overdrive-p-3929.html

Greybriar

Get your free Steam key for Blackwell Deception from this link.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

steve58

GameStop has The Old Gods DLC for CK2 for $7.49

GOG.com has Imperialism I and Imperialism II for $2.39 each this weekend during the Ultimate Ubisoft sale.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

BEHOLD! -- MY NON-SPOILERY NOTES ON HOW TO PLAY CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW EFFECTIVELY!

(General combat tactics, what the attacks do, where to spend the limited xp for best effect, how to pick up the upgrade gems as soon as possible.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Very nice guide Jason.  Thanks for sharing.  I still haven't reached the first titan yet at the end of chapter 1 but I'm going to keep the focus tactics in mind for later and just try the dodge rolls and sync blocking techniques.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Gusington

Thanks Jason. I was just about to fire it up for the first time to see what all your hullaboo was about too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

The notes don't tell how to get past some of the puzzles, but many of the puzzles are optional anyway -- you can skip them and just not receive the xp reward for beating them. (Others are unskippable but I give some hints about those.)

Up until after the first titan, I recommend focusing your xp skill buys into (1) whatever allows you to grab and kill enemies at a distance (you should easily get this before the goblins in the swamp), if that's even necessary to buy (which it might not be); and (2) upgrades to your direct attack. (I'm using the PS3 "square" button in the instructions; it would be the blue/x button for an XBox controller. Not sure what for a mouse/keyboard setup.) The grab-kill attack is slow but methodically deadly, and can be abused against most man-sized foes throughout the game.

BE VERY SURE TO FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS FOR PICKING UP GEMS!! Go back to replay stages if necessary to pick them up; once you've done so, and have reached a new autosave position, I'm pretty sure you can stop the stage and go on to the new map area. For example, in the early horse racing sequence, the first time you get knocked off (and you'll get knocked off eventually), there's a life gem toward the bottom of the fighting area which is easy to miss. If you haven't gotten it yet, W8, go back and play that stage again, and once you've gotten it and are back on the horse, you should be able to quit that stage and go on to wherever you currently are in the plot with the life gem added. (The first time the game TELLS YOU about a life gem is at the start of the swamp stage, but it's important to get the earlier one they didn't explicitly tell you about.)

Up until after the first titan there are only life gems, but they're just as important as light and shadow gems later. It's possible to win the game without getting every single one, but each five significantly upgrades your max health or how much power you can use in light or shadow.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

Man you're really into Castlevania...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Just this game. :) I've never even played another CV game (didn't have the consoles, and had other things to play once I did). Though I do have most of the game soundtracks.

I may not have made it clear in the notes that I'm ranking the most valuable skills of each type in ASCENDING order. In hindsight, I maybe should have done so in descending order, since people may not read farther down and spend xp on only minorly useful skills first.  :-[

W8taminute

Oh yeah that horse race mission type thing.  I know for a fact that I did indeed miss the gem there and in some of the other areas as well.  I did not know you could reply areas until I read that in your guide.  Now I just may do that before proceeding further into the story.  I want my stuff man!  :)