What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

^ The chemical used, Polyvinyl Alcohol, is one of the ingredients in Elmers Glue. Dissolves in water, which could be problem if it rains on your nifty transparent balsa sunroof.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Im sure that, much like Windy, theres a chemical that makes it far stiffer and resilient to moisture.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Currently reading Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Ground Attack & Special Purpose Aircraft by Dieter Herwig and Heinz Rode.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Just finished Fighter Pilot this morning. Had me in tears.

The last couple of pages were written by General Olds in 2007, shortly before his death. He describes a reoccurring dream where he is flying in the clouds in his F-4 at full burn. He rolls out and lands. The airbase is empty. He climbs out of the cockpit and hears music and laughter coming from the O Club. He walks in and sees all his old friends who have already passed. His father, a pioneer of military aviation himself, is at the piano playing. They meet and he tells his dad that he was a fighter pilot and his father tells him he knows and is so very proud. They all sing, laugh, dance and tear the place up right before setting off into the clouds again for another Mig sweep.

It is exactly how I picture these heroes crossing over to the other side.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

Unmasked: Inside Antifa's Radical Plan To Destroy Democracy

by Andy Ngo, the gay Vietnamese man whose parents had to flee Communist Vietnam after spending time in "re-education" camps.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

al_infierno

^ That sounds like a very well-balanced, fair, and non-partisan take on the issue.  Good thing you mentioned he's gay or I might be questioning his credibility!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Ubercat

Edit: Nevermind.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GDS_Starfury

reminds me of the time we were passing around Gus.  :-X
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

Outside of some RPGs on the Kindle, I'm kinda light in the reading department - got a delightfully dense work on the Spanish Civil War (title and author escapes me as the physical book is sitting in the truck right now) and my fascination with the Eastern Front circa WW2 continues via The Russo-German War 1941-45 by Albert Seaton.

Gusington

Now reading Historical Atlas of the Viking World by Angus Konstam.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Having just finished Fighter Pilot, I've moved on to "When Thunder Rolled," which is an account of the 1966 Rolling Thunder bombing campaign written by an F-105 pilot who was there. It's cool because he was in Robin Olds' AO flying out of Thailand and probably flew on some of the same missions in which Olds and his squadron were flying MIG CAP. I've already recognized some of the same names. Pretty cool.

I also started a book called, "The White Sniper" about Simo Hayha, but I'm having trouble getting into it. The author is a currently serving Finnish sniper. It is not written in the most engrossing format and there are some issues with editing, probably due to language or translation issues. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Inspired by a post from Smuckatelli, I am re-reading "The Good Soldier Svejk" (also spelled "Schweik"). 

It is basically a mix of "Catch 22" and "No Time for Sergeants", but set in the WWI Austro-Hungarian Army. Since it was written just after WWI, it may well be partial inspiration for both of those books.

Having a great time with it...

The book is well past its copyright, and is available for free as a PDF download from archive.org if anyone is interested.
https://ia801600.us.archive.org/27/items/in.ernet.dli.2015.220415/2015.220415.The-Good.pdf

I'll post my thoughts when I am done with it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

WallysWorld

Quote from: Gusington on December 16, 2020, 04:10:41 PM
Currently reading 'An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms of World War I' by Jonathan North and Jeremy Black.

Looked at that book and ended up buying it and two others.  Super thanks for posting about it here.

I started with "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Uniforms of the Roman World" by Kevin F. Kiley. Super enjoying it and the drawings are excellent. Makes me want to play Total War: Rome II.

The other uniform book I got was "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Military Uniforms of the 19th Century".
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Silent Disapproval Robot

I just finished Rising Sun, Falling Skies: The Disastrous Java Sea Campaign of World War II by Jeffrey Cox.

It examines the naval aspects of the early war Japanese campaign to take the Philippines, Singapore, and the Dutch East Indies.

I knew the highlights like the sinking of the Repulse and the Prince of Wales, the defeat of the ABDACOM ships,  and dugout Doug's flight from the Philippines to Australia but I knew almost nothing about the details or personalities involved, especially the Dutch.   I found it very informative and easy to read.  The author readily admits his anti-Japanese bias in the preface and that bias does surface repeatedly which j personally found to be somewhat detrimental to the book but I'd still say its well worth reading.

I have several titles in the 2nd World War at Sea series of games from Avalanche Press and enjoy the games quite a bit.  One of the upcoming titles, Java Sea, covers this campaign.  I was going to give it a miss because the several games in the series that I already own don't see enough table time and I thought the battles would be very lopsided with the IJN just swatting aside the ABDA units.  I think I might pick it up after all (along with the upcoming Norway title.)