Latest Wargaming Acquisitions

Started by TheCommandTent, September 15, 2012, 09:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 19, 2012, 06:04:12 AM
lol, for not playing? or loving the minis? the paras look great, i only hope i can do them justice

Looking forward to seeing your figures painted up.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

DV8

Quote from: DV8 on September 18, 2012, 09:35:09 PM
Mine is at home waiting for me to come back from this shitty business trip.  :'(  Weep for me.

Total bliss now...  ;D

"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

TheCommandTent

Glad you got it!  Those are some great looking figures.  I am assuming you painted them all?  Who makes those figures?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

DV8

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 21, 2012, 04:30:41 PM
Glad you got it!  Those are some great looking figures.  I am assuming you painted them all?  Who makes those figures?

Actually I bought them of some Brit so I'm not sure who made them.

LongBlade

My Romulans arrived today. Expect an assault on the Federation shortly...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DV8

Quote from: LongBlade on September 21, 2012, 07:25:42 PM

Can you say "drones"?  ;). Fun game today.

LongBlade

Quote from: DV8 on September 21, 2012, 07:55:51 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 21, 2012, 07:25:42 PM

Can you say "drones"?  ;). Fun game today.

I have some shuttlecraft which may substitute for some drones. But I'm not sure I want to see many more of those for a while.

Yeah, it was fun. Can't wait to start working on them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

think i may have been spoiled by GW's models - im a bit disappointed in the models, in particular the face and hands - paint jobs are great though

DV8

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 22, 2012, 07:57:33 AM
think i may have been spoiled by GW's models - im a bit disappointed in the models, in particular the face and hands - paint jobs are great though

I agree.  Very low detail.

bob48

Over the years I have painted hundreds of GW figures, both plastic and metal. Expensive they may be, but I very rarely had any issues over the quality of the figures.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DV8

Quote from: bob48 on September 22, 2012, 08:01:14 AM
Over the years I have painted hundreds of GW figures, both plastic and metal. Expensive they may be, but I very rarely had any issues over the quality of the figures.

I would agree on all accounts except the new Fine Cast models.  The details is better with FC but the castings can really be out of shape requiring some creative assembly.

undercovergeek

boooooo - was really looking forward to ordering some paras

back to GW - ill post the figures i bought shortly

TheCommandTent

I am not the best painter to as a result I am not good at detail painting.  So I am going to be mostly likely sticking with 1/72 or 20mm for Bolt Action, although I have considered individually basing 15mm figures but I am not sure about that.

bob48

I think you may find that 15mm is a bit on the fiddly side for playing with individual figures, although 20mm is not too bad. For painting, there is not a lot a difference between the 2 scales, although you can get a bit of extra detail in the 20mm stuff.
In addition, I found (having played both 15 and 20mm) that there is no real appreciable difference in the space needed to play with those 2 scales.

I guess its really down to your own preferences. For me, with older, clumsier fingers, I prefer 30mm + for skirmish games that use individual figures.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!