Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Quote from: mikeck on March 20, 2014, 09:06:08 AM
Never could find out what was wrong so I gave it to my daughter to use (doesn't so it a lot) and I had an excuse to get a new one.

This is the kind of ruthless problem-solving that makes great commanders.  Well played, sir.    ;D

sandman2575

As a Rome II newb, I had a nice "aha!" moment last night.  A really nice touch:  In the real-time battles, your general 'in the field' is actually the same figure as the general who shows up in the lower-left-hand window on the campaign interface.  Obvious perhaps, but when I realized it, I had a genuine "that is really cool" gaming moment.

Gusington

IIRC I think I have had two NVidia driver updates in the last two weeks. And the Iceni live forever.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 20, 2014, 09:14:43 AM
Quote from: mikeck on March 20, 2014, 09:06:08 AM
Never could find out what was wrong so I gave it to my daughter to use (doesn't use it a lot) and so I had an excuse to get a new one.

This is the kind of ruthless problem-solving that makes great commanders.  Well played, sir.    ;D

Having served in an administrative capacity for the last five years, I have learned that a problem is no longer a problem if you can make it someone else's problem.

That and Mike's 3rd rule of agency dynamics: "pain shared is pain reduced"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Labbug

Patch 10 is officially out now.

Nefaro

Quote from: Labbug on March 20, 2014, 01:17:30 PM

Wish me luck, fellas.  I'm goin in!   

Hopefully my video card doesn't explode.

bob48

^LOL

Good luck! You're a better man than I, Gunga Nefaro  :)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mikeck

I'm playing offline...can anyone confirm that patch 9 games will work with patch 10
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Labbug

My vanilla patch 9 saved game is working fine.  I don't know about DEI or Radious mod saves though.

mikeck

Thanks. I'm playing vanilla with a few cosmetic mods

Sir Slash

Patch 10 and Radious are working fine for me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Great news tonight.  Played a couple hours and no blue screen! 

They must've fixed whatever issue I was having in this latest update.  It seemed to only happen when I was rt-clicking to bring up the in-game Encyclopedia info on a unit or some such new UI window.  Hopefully whatever bug it had been was squished and I won't see it again.

Even better news, I received my first large scale open field battle trouncing by the AI.  Sure, they outnumbered me a bit but the big breakthrough in my mind was that it combined four of it's converging armies into a single cohesive double-line formation before marching on me.  It also didn't just toss itself on my spears willy nilly, without a care.  The battle AI actually did quite well.  I'm not sure how well it's defensive siege AI has come along but if it's an improvement over last year's versions then it's progress.

What's more, I've played numerous turns in this new campaign I started tonight (Egypt) and I've not seen Epirus take it's usual early game fall.  It seems like they've done some work on the Diplomacy in this update, which was needed.  It may just be specifically Egypt, but I'm finding it easier to get trade agreements from the start, too.

So if this thing continues to hold up, I'm thinking of getting the Caesar in Gaul DLC and the upcoming Punic one.  How many new Gallic tribes and units does the Caesar in Gaul DLC add?  I've been wanting to play a Gallic campaign but one thing holding me back was what seemed to be a pretty thin variety of troop types for the one Gallic tribe in the base game.  Is that somewhat remedied with the add-on?

Martok

Quote from: Labbug on March 20, 2014, 01:17:30 PM
Yep, saw that earlier this morning.  I restarted my Athens campaign (because I'm OCD that way ::) ).  So far, so good! 

Quote from: Nefaro on March 21, 2014, 02:03:11 AM
Great news tonight.  Played a couple hours and no blue screen! 

They must've fixed whatever issue I was having in this latest update.  It seemed to only happen when I was rt-clicking to bring up the in-game Encyclopedia info on a unit or some such new UI window.  Hopefully whatever bug it had been was squished and I won't see it again.
Huzzah!  Great news indeed, Nefaro.  Glad to hear it. 

Even better news, I received my first large scale open field battle trouncing by the AI.  Sure, they outnumbered me a bit but the big breakthrough in my mind was that it combined four of it's converging armies into a single cohesive double-line formation before marching on me.  It also didn't just toss itself on my spears willy nilly, without a care.  The battle AI actually did quite well.  I'm not sure how well it's defensive siege AI has come along but if it's an improvement over last year's versions then it's progress.
Nice!  I haven't had any battles yet, but I'll try to pay more attention to how the AI performs. 

What's more, I've played numerous turns in this new campaign I started tonight (Egypt) and I've not seen Epirus take it's usual early game fall. 
That's because I'm not playing Athens in your game.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

sandman2575

Glad to hear you're up and running again, Nefaro --

I had my first military humiliation playing last night.  Lost an entire legion to the Suebi (can you say Teutoborg Forest, anyone?).  In my defense, I was outnumbered about 4-to-1, and it was a siege battle -- which, carrying on the dismal tradition of sieges in Empire TW, seems not to have been improved with Rome II.

Game becomes a slide-show for me in these big siege battles.  Not sure if pathing issues are the problem, but my rig is plenty powerful enough to handle big battles (with DEI mod) otherwise.  I may just start auto-resolving sieges from now on -- playing it through was just painful, and not just because my legion got slaughtered. 

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 21, 2014, 09:29:03 AM

Game becomes a slide-show for me in these big siege battles.  Not sure if pathing issues are the problem, but my rig is plenty powerful enough to handle big battles (with DEI mod) otherwise.  I may just start auto-resolving sieges from now on -- playing it through was just painful, and not just because my legion got slaughtered.

Odd.  The battles are where my computer takes a nap.  For some reason the ridiculous effects on the campaign map make my vid card and/or processor fans spin up to high speed and stay there.  Until a battle.  Then they slow down to their lower idling speed, yet everything looks just fine.   Kinda ass backwards, don't ya think??   ???

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the gfx craziness on the campaign map was helping contribute to my BSOD issue before.  That's the only place it crashed.  The campaign map post-processing also makes it look like petroleum jelly-smeared ass, anyway.  That's likely the problem.

Wish I could turn off the post-processing on the campaign map.