Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

The Scythians came first, then the Parthians, IIRC. Together they make up...the Sassanids, at a later date. I think.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Scythians are nomadic tribes occupying the Eurasian Steppes. I suppose the Parthians aren't nomadic and occupy modern day Iran Iraq and Syria (basically the Persians during Alexander's time.

Gusington

Late in the day the history of these tribes makes my head spin. From a quick bout of research it looks like the Scythians, Parthians and a half dozen other groups make up the ancient Persians from around 600 BC to around 400 AD.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 23, 2014, 09:16:48 PM
Late in the day the history of these tribes makes my head spin. From a quick bout of research it looks like the Scythians, Parthians and a half dozen other groups make up the ancient Persians from around 600 BC to around 400 AD.

And they're all playable factions in the game.  :uglystupid2:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

If you're into this kind of thing, look up the historical fiction writer Peter Harman...he loves himself some Armenian cataphracts and Parthians. I am really looking forward to playing as Armenia, as long as the campaign is not ridiculously difficult.

How are the newly tweaked sieges, btw?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 24, 2014, 07:28:13 AM
If you're into this kind of thing, look up the historical fiction writer Peter Harman...he loves himself some Armenian cataphracts and Parthians. I am really looking forward to playing as Armenia, as long as the campaign is not ridiculously difficult.

I'm thinking getting started is a real challenge. The in-game description of Armenia lists the campaign as "hard." I'd agree.

QuoteHow are the newly tweaked sieges, btw?

Dunno. I always bring at least two, preferably three, armies to a siege and then auto-resolve for the win.

undercovergeek

as a sieg-ER ive noticed the walls are defended very robustly, especially if youre even in numbers, it can be a tough fight to get over the wall and down into the city , AI moves archers and skirmishers up to the front and peppers you as you battle your way across the fortifications

havent been a sieg-EE, if theyre coming for me ill kill em in the open

MengJiao

Quote from: LongBlade on September 24, 2014, 07:46:39 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 24, 2014, 07:28:13 AM

I'm thinking getting started is a real challenge. The in-game description of Armenia lists the campaign as "hard." I'd agree.

QuoteHow are the newly tweaked sieges, btw?

Dunno. I always bring at least two, preferably three, armies to a siege and then auto-resolve for the win.

I think the Armenians have a very tough spot in the Imperial campaign.  I took the Parthinians and the Armenians were the first faction I wiped out.  After taking a beating in the far east, I launched a pretty desperate campaign to take out Armenia or die trying.  Fortunately the numberous Satrapies of the Parthenians held off most of the other enemies until I finished off Armenia and Judea and Marc Anthony didn't do too much (took a few provinces, destroyed a few armies).  Once Armenia was gone, Judea was relatively easy to wipe out which impressed Cleopatra enough for her to opt out of the rest of Marc's Wars and then there was just Marc and he was massive but kind of diffuse.

LongBlade

Just when you think you've turned a corner with them someone else shows up to ruin your day. Almost every nation is hostile - and not only hostile, but you can't even negotiate with them. I had no choice but to fight on multiple fronts against multiple enemies. Finally I turned a bit of a corner, but this is a highly challenging game.

undercovergeek

what difficulty level are you?

LongBlade

undercovergeek

is that the one higher than 'hey, its gus here'

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 24, 2014, 11:22:34 AM
is that the one higher than 'hey, its gus here'

Nope. It's as far left as you can go. Easier than Gus at a wine tasting party.

GDS_Starfury

if I ever get to hang out with Gus his wife wont ever let him out of the house again.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

I posted somewhere in this thread that I won my Hannibal at the Gates TW campaign on 'Normal' difficulty, ucg. You wanker.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd