Home of Wargamers - New Matrix/Slitherine titles Announced

Started by spelk, April 23, 2012, 08:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on April 23, 2012, 02:27:54 PM

Well if they got the History Channel then I fully expect a Swamp People, Ax Men, Pawn Stars and American Pickers game releases.  God knows the history channels doesn't actually show any history programing any more.

I call it the "Ancient Aliens Channel".

Then again, the only show I ever bother watching on the tube, anymore, is Pawn Stars so I shouldn't complain too much.

bob48

Quote from: Bison on April 23, 2012, 02:37:19 PM
There was an Ice Road Truckers game?  Where the hell have I been?
What was it - NSKK getting supplies through to Stalingrad?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

Quote from: Keunert on April 23, 2012, 02:41:46 PM
The game i am going to buy a 100% is Victor Rijkers new Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue, this guy makes the games that hit my sweet wargaming spot..
I agree.

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on April 23, 2012, 03:11:32 PM

Well if they got the History Channel then I fully expect a Swamp People, Ax Men, Pawn Stars and American Pickers game releases.  God knows the history channels doesn't actually show any history programing any more.

I call it the "Ancient Aliens Channel".

Then again, the only show I ever bother watching on the tube, anymore, is Pawn Stars so I shouldn't complain too much.

Well, then it's assured Slitherine has branded its products properly.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grim.Reaper

Nothing really excites me except maybe the rewrite for FOG...maybe once more details known, something else will seem exciting.

Staggerwing

Well, Panthers in the Fog has to refer to Wacht Am Rhein if there is to be some historical significance as there are several tales of armored knife-fights in the fog that resulted from that battle. Of course, S&M could just be using the title because it sounds cool w/out proper reference but I do hope they are above that.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

So, why did they hold this at some luxury hotel? What, for the benefit of 'wargaming journalists' with a grand total of 723 readers? That just seems....really, really stupid.

It might also help if there was the faintest hint of information about ANY of these games. Why go public with a list that you then don't give any background about? So that those 723 readers get an exclusive first look?

This is just one great big WTF.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 23, 2012, 07:01:39 PM
So, why did they hold this at some luxury hotel? What, for the benefit of 'wargaming journalists' with a grand total of 723 readers? That just seems....really, really stupid.

It might also help if there was the faintest hint of information about ANY of these games. Why go public with a list that you then don't give any background about? So that those 723 readers get an exclusive first look?

I wondered the same thing....didn't seem like anything earth shattering to go through this expense and drama.  Without any real information given, hard to get excited about anything.  Maybe on day 2 they plan to provide more information.

LongBlade

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 23, 2012, 07:01:39 PM

Some day we need to have a beer together.

Look, I think JD needs to have acceptance. That's why he buys someone else's brand to put on his own. WTF does the BBC or History Channel have to do with wargaming? Nothing. Matrix used to be as solid a brand as you could get...

Bison

The thing I don't get honestly is that given most of your customer base is most likely struggling in the current economic conditions, why in the name of all that is decent would you host a such a lavish place?  I know they have an Italy office, but seriously what are they trying to prove with this event?

Sigma One

Quote from: LongBlade on April 23, 2012, 01:56:11 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 23, 2012, 10:25:34 AM
or, y'know, they could've poured the money from that hotel into some decent back end software on their websites.

Well, that or to pay their employees. One quit because he hadn't had a raise in a couple of years.

Makes ya wonder, doesn't it?

I got news that Slitherine had just secured a co-branding deal with the History Channel. They paid good money to get the BBC's logo on one of their games. I suspect the same deal here.

Priorities, priorities...

This time its a true-blue strategy game, and its on the list :)

spelk

Quote from: Keunert on April 23, 2012, 02:41:46 PM
The game i am going to buy a 100% is Victor Rijkers new Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue, this guy makes the games that hit my sweet wargaming spot..

+1. All of Vic's games are insta-buys for me.

MikeGER

Quote from: Gusington on April 23, 2012, 10:26:50 AM
^Back end software doesn't give you plush pink frilly pillows!

Slitherine didn't told the ppl they invite to the fancy Lago Maggiore place that their guests only get an almost empty room and every single item in their room will be a "DLC" or "Add-on" where a single one will be unlocked on every full hour after check-in (quote IMN: ,sorry, because of the limited number of bellmen not all items can be released together immediately' ) and can then be ordered at the reception deck and will get delivered by bellmen
IMN: ,as a special service to our guests, you don't have to walk to the reception deck but can order your item via IPad or smartphone from your room over the hotel WiFi ...for a little surcharge) ;)

pickin a more "wargamish" / "history" smelling place ... maybe Monte Casini, Anzio  (if it has to be Italy ) or somewhere in Belgium, maybe Bastogne (Waterloo has a to bad ring) would have been more appropriate  :P

LongBlade

W8taminute

According to the Slitherine website Commander The Great War comes out on May 15, 2012.  That's good news, yes?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk