Main Menu

FarCry 3

Started by Tpek, November 29, 2012, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

You Americans can relax about the fact that this time you get it later...
This game is problematic.
And I mean it.
It nearly burns my GPU down to cinders after a short while of gameplay past the first tutorial part, and from reading on the game's forum,
it would seem others are having similar or other kinds of trouble with it. GPU crashes and driver corruptions.

Hopefully by the time you get it, Ubisoft would bother to actually patch those bugs (it already released a day-1 patch which failed to do much).

Jarhead0331

Odd...RPS raved about it and I don't think this issue was mentioned in the review.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

Yeah, first I have heard of it. I'm torn between this and COD:BLOPS2. On one hand FC3 has a long and open-world SP experience and a crappy MP experience. O. The other COD:BLOPS2 has a short and on-rails (blah) SP experience and an awesome MP experience.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Silent Disapproval Robot

The review at Gamespy mentioned crashes when running the game in DX11.

son_of_montfort

This is going to sound totally pansy, but I'm also a little concerned with the subject matter of FC3. I don't mind violent games, per se, but a violent game that tracks a constant descent into madness and murder by the main character might be a little over-the-line with me.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Silent Disapproval Robot

Don't play Spec Ops: The Line then.

Tpek

I tried playing again and messing with the graphics settings. Didn't help at all, still 90C.
And now I am smelling a bit of a burnt smell from the case. :(

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Tpek on November 29, 2012, 12:57:22 PM
I tried playing again and messing with the graphics settings. Didn't help at all, still 90C.
And now I am smelling a bit of a burnt smell from the case. :(

Your card fan may have gone out and the high draw of the game "told" you about it by increasing the heat significantly. Run with the case off to see if the fan is still turning.

Also, switch FC3 to DX9 mode until the patch corrects the problem.

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 29, 2012, 12:05:36 PM
Don't play Spec Ops: The Line then.

I don't plan on it...  ;) JH, what are your thoughts on COD:BLOPS2?

I also realize that I still haven't booted up Dishonored, which may be the best solution to my dilemma.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

I think I might try the DX9 option.

I downloaded a new version of Speedfan 4.47 and even the newest beta driver for my Geforce 480 to try it if I get desperate.
I also started checking on the pricing for the 680 in case I do end up burning mine :P

Tpek

DX9 didn't work.
Still overheats the GPU.
Heck, it still heats it quite up even when on the menu.
This is insane.

son_of_montfort

Are you using nVidia? I've heard the 310 drivers are necessary. You might check the fan on the GPU, because few users are reporting this issue. Hope you can get it resolved.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 29, 2012, 03:05:37 PM
Are you using nVidia? I've heard the 310 drivers are necessary. You might check the fan on the GPU, because few users are reporting this issue. Hope you can get it resolved.

It's just that I am wary of installing Beta drivers, and to to mention those that don't have WHQL certificates.

son_of_montfort

I've done it before and had few problems. It can be much worse than overheating, right?

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

Well, I'll try this tomorrow.
Hopefully it will make the game playable.

Tpek

Well, taking advice from the official forum I've yet to update to the beta drivers and instead manually edited the profile.xml file of the game,
and had it capped at 30FPS. This indeed greatly reduced the heat to ~78-79C. Seems the idiots who made this game made the same mistake as Blizzard did with SC2,
they forgot to cap the FPS and instead allowed it to go freely, so the GPU burns itself when trying to get ridiculously high FPS.

Unfortunately now I can't play the game because the Far Cry 3 server is down (yeah, it's a Ubisoft title... the internet connection requiring kind).