What's the deal with Dominions 3?

Started by mikeck, March 16, 2013, 12:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on March 16, 2013, 02:08:47 PM
Well, I'm new to this particular genre but having learns Aurora and WiP I don't have a problem with complexity. Graphics are important I guess...in the way that I love CK2 graphics or AGEOD maps...it doesn't have to be Total war

yeah, youre coming down a tier or two from CKII and AGEOD

mikeck

Yeah, saw some screenies...I mean, aurora has no graphics really...not sure though. Anyways, thanks for the info guys
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

Huh. I thought there used to be a demo of Dominions 3 on Shrapnel's website, but when I went there to check I couldn't even see the game for sale. Looks like Illwinter has moved on.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: LongBlade on March 16, 2013, 03:42:32 PM
Huh. I thought there used to be a demo of Dominions 3 on Shrapnel's website, but when I went there to check I couldn't even see the game for sale. Looks like Illwinter has moved on.

Demo here

http://illwinter.com/dom3/index.html

TheCommandTent

Good thread.  I've been looking at the game as I enjoy the fantasy genre and find the depth intriguing but I just can't get past the graphics. (I know I'm shallow)  The game also seems very heavy on magic.  Is this the case?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mikeck

Well I went and bought it anyway...cause that's what I do...buy games that I may never play.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Well, I'm new to this particular genre but having learns Aurora and WiP I don't have a problem with complexity. Graphics are important I guess...in the way that I love CK2 graphics or AGEOD maps...it doesn't have to be Total war

You'll be fine on the learning curve, then. 

The graphics still aren't up to par with the fluff in AGEOD and CK2, but the content and gameplay is more than enough to make up for it. 

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on March 16, 2013, 06:16:15 PM

You'll be fine on the learning curve, then. 

The graphics still aren't up to par with the fluff in AGEOD and CK2, but the content and gameplay is more than enough to make up for it.
+1 You're right that the graphics are dire, but the game is just so deep.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

mikeck

I'm assuming there aren't any mods that generally improve the graphics the?

jomni

I played the demo a while back and I just drowned in the deepness.

mikeck

Besides the mod recommendations you can make, is there a particular forum that is more active than others?

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on March 16, 2013, 06:51:37 PM
I'm assuming there aren't any mods that generally improve the graphics the?

There are a couple that everyone here has been using to spice up some of the pixel art in the game.  I really do enjoy well-done fantasy pixel art, myself.  But there are just so many different unit pix in the game and the current mods have only updated a pretty small portion of those.  Some of the originals are passable, IMO, but there are also some that still look a bit too smudged & indistinct.  Part of the problem is that there don't seem to be a lot of pixel artists out there who are ready to devote the time to redo'ing the whole set - because it's huge and would take a lot of time.  Most of the art doesn't bother me at all and I find it pretty cool because the unit variety is so great anyway.

Another cool thing is that modders have created whole new Nation sets, with brand new unit art to go with them.  There are even some Warhammer Fantasy sets! 

gameleaper

Well I thought I knew how to play Dominions3 kindof, but you should see this guys tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680?feature=watch

Maps

http://www.llamaserver.net/mapModBrowser.cgi

a nice list of maps with images, so you can see just how much your getting of a game your getting.

It wont just be your fav fantasy game, or your fav stategy game, it will be your fav game of all time.

Nefaro

Q:

When you set a mage to "Search For Magic Sites" in a province, doesn't he automatically do so?  There isn't a success roll to see if it worked, is there?

Because I've been seeing some orders not happening during turn resolution, in my AI game.  I'm pretty sure there's been one or two times my recruitment didn't dump any of my purchased troops into my home province, too.   ???   

At first I thought my Site Searches were being interrupted by AI attacks on the same location, and that perhaps the battle interrupted my search.  But I just saw one place I had definitely set a mage to Site Search in, and the thing was never attacked - yet still wasn't searched that turn either.  The mage came back up on the 'Defend' default order the next turn as if he had (or it didn't work for some reason?).  :'(

gameleaper

I dont know Im still noob, but I think the magic level of the Mage has to be higher than what has already been searched, and Main Fortress I think is already searched pre game start. I know Im not much help, but Im learning, so If your more experienced please forgive my noob answers :)