CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead

Started by Yskonyn, August 02, 2013, 09:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 12:59:17 PM
lol - this is in no way your fault GR. I totally read the thread wrong!

I had looked at CK2 when it first came out and my finger was on the buy often enough...but I never pressed it and the "want" waned. But I'll certainly give it a good look over - lots of people like it enough.

Thanks again.

Ok, sounds good...it is a decent game so hopefully you still get some enjoyment out of it...you can use it to see if you like the system and then it will prepare you for EU4:)

JudgeDredd

Hi Grim Reaper

I feel really, really bad - because I tried CKII today and I simply do not have the knowledge on what's going on. I have absolutely zero understanding of families, succession, royalty, medieval life or what I'm meant to be doing in order to go on.

In truth, I didn't give it much of a go - because it simply just doesn't grab me...the subject matter is nothing I'm even remotely interested in. I thought there would be more in the way of conquering, trade etc (more like EU). It's just about - well - I'm not sure...family lines and keeping them alive? I had a message about a subject of a region which I was in danger of "losing" (can't remember the term). So I clicked on it and indeed there was a guy married but with no kids - and the heir was from Northumberland (England - I was playing Scotland). So I guess the game was telling me if the subject in that province died, the heir (being from Northumberland) would inherit it and it would be lost to the subject in charge of Northumberland.

I just did not get it. I was like "Well? What?" no idea what-so-ever.

Sorry - I've wasted that key from you. I do really apologise.
Alba gu' brath

Kushan

Don't give up so easily Judge. CK2 (well almost all of the Paradox games) is one of the most rewarding experiences once you get to know the systems. It may take a game or two to get to know the systems.

Try starting out as a King (or even as the Byzantine emperor) The higher you go, the less you have to worry about things like succession. My personal favorite for an easy start is one of the Spanish kingdoms. You have the real possibility to get over whelmed by the Muslim factions if your not careful but it offers a mix of everything. Another good starting option that most people prefer (although I never did it) is to start out on Ireland.

Watching youtube tutorials can be really helpful as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJhoyHE26lg&list=PLDF61F4A4275A64D4

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3DFUHv8cWWoL5KIRe_COOMX_DrgHjlss
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 01:26:53 PM
Hi Grim Reaper

I feel really, really bad - because I tried CKII today and I simply do not have the knowledge on what's going on. I have absolutely zero understanding of families, succession, royalty, medieval life or what I'm meant to be doing in order to go on.

In truth, I didn't give it much of a go - because it simply just doesn't grab me...the subject matter is nothing I'm even remotely interested in. I thought there would be more in the way of conquering, trade etc (more like EU). It's just about - well - I'm not sure...family lines and keeping them alive? I had a message about a subject of a region which I was in danger of "losing" (can't remember the term). So I clicked on it and indeed there was a guy married but with no kids - and the heir was from Northumberland (England - I was playing Scotland). So I guess the game was telling me if the subject in that province died, the heir (being from Northumberland) would inherit it and it would be lost to the subject in charge of Northumberland.

I just did not get it. I was like "Well? What?" no idea what-so-ever.

Sorry - I've wasted that key from you. I do really apologise.

stick with it - youre at the bottom of a massive hill and its worth the climb

JudgeDredd

ok.

My giving up wasn't necessarily down to not knowing what was going on - but just the gameplay itself...I really have no clue about vassals, families, inheritance etc...really no idea.

But I'll watch a couple of vids and see what the score is.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

as with all EU/CK games - set your goals and go for them - being a king will make you busy with vassals and dukes but not so busy on what to do militarily because the whole country goes with your flow, being lowly makes you busy on who to take and where to expand but your court is small so not so bad

its all entirely upto you re vassals and dukes and counts - go to war and be impressed by the duke of XXXX then promote him with more lands as in history, a guy does poorly, wont raise an army, shun him, banish him from court - but youve got to want to be immerssed in a medieval adventure

JudgeDredd

But I don't even know about dukes, vassals, counts and lords and any other terms that happen in game - so no idea at all what to do with them.

The game looks great and very polished. It's refreshing to see so many different avatars.

But I'm just not getting it. I'll watch the vids and see.

Ta
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 02:54:07 PM
But I don't even know about dukes, vassals, counts and lords and any other terms that happen in game - so no idea at all what to do with them.

You gotta know how the system works before you can try manipulating it to most effect.  :)  It's basically just the lower-ranked lords swearing fealty to someone above them.  They're obligated to send the higher ranked noble some troops in time of war, or they send tax money to you regularly if they're mayors or bishops.  The lower ranked ones are called Vassals (which means they hold lands in your name, unlike courtiers who are your unlanded underlings).  The biggest issue with Vassals is that if you don't keep them happy, they will send less troops/money and possibly even try to become independent and/or kill you.  The numerous ways of steering such relationships to your advantage, both with vassals and every other character of interest, is a large part of the game. 

undercovergeek

getting this wrong can lead to your son and heir been thrown out of a tower window - believe me i know

JudgeDredd

Well - thanks to all for trying to help.

I'll certainly look at the videos to at least try and grasp the concepts.

The gameplay isn't in my "knowledge" and not in my normal arena of play...this is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome.

I do want to give it a fair bash though as I was gifted the game by Grim Reaper.

The videos will hopefully go a long way to helping that...because I really know nothing about the subject matter.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 04:44:09 PM
Well - thanks to all for trying to help.

I'll certainly look at the videos to at least try and grasp the concepts.

The gameplay isn't in my "knowledge" and not in my normal arena of play...this is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome.

I do want to give it a fair bash though as I was gifted the game by Grim Reaper.

The videos will hopefully go a long way to helping that...because I really know nothing about the subject matter.

No worries at all.....we all have games that we end up liking and others we don't....no reason to force it if you don't like it.  It was free anyway:)

Nefaro

I'm a bit surprised JD doesn't know much about the medieval period.  I had just assumed everyone here did.  :o

JudgeDredd

Well - given I'm fro the UK and surrounded by history relating to empires and royalty - I know it's surprising.

But if you get that I don't even understand my own family tree history - nieces, nephews and the like - and only just get uncles and aunts - then maybe that goes a way to helping you understand how I know nothing about the workings of the game or the time period.

Medieval isn't really a time period I'm that interested in - most particularly from a "family hierarchy" pov.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

hes scottish - different story for them, when they werent busy hitting each other with sticks and rocks they were having their ass kicked by us  :P

JudgeDredd

And I'd like to say I am suitably embarrassed
Alba gu' brath