Needing advice for Total War Empires

Started by Keunert, August 25, 2013, 06:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on August 25, 2013, 12:48:36 PM
I'll move this to the gaming forum where maybe you'll get some answers...if that's what you're looking for.

You my friend got played :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

Quote from: Keunert on August 25, 2013, 06:12:55 AM
I just bought the games and need advice concerning diplomatics, economy and research. any advice appreciated.

As in Empire: Total War?

Dunno.. not played it in a long time.  I recall one issue with it being the Diplomacy system ultimately not working out very well for the player since all your neighbors will eventually hate you no matter how much you butter their muffin and wax their 'stache.  You'll primarily use diplomacy to create Trade partners (money!) and hopefully round up a brief alliance from a large nation or two, in case you start getting hammered with a bunch of DOWs.  Just expect any alliance to eventually fall apart at some point.

Research was a little more straightforward, depending on your early game strategy.  If you are gonna go roll some neighbors rather quickly, then research military stuff.  You could always research some research bonuses and/or higher wealth production buildings if you want to boost your income and build up your military for awhile.  I don't think turtling like this in most Total War games is a very strong way to go, most notably because there is always a strict turn limit on the game but also because outright hostile expansion is more profitable in the short term (until you run out of easy targets).

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Keunert

Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Keunert

i am still in the tutorial. but then i think i will go for my own country, that is called Habsburg
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Yskonyn

I like E:TW. I am going to restart a campaign with Holland once Rome 2 gives me some time to look at other things again. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tuna

A lot of people hate it, but I enjoy it as well..

Sir Slash

Hey Keunert. Austria's a tough choice as she starts with lots of potential enemies close( Prussia, Poland, and Ottomans) and allies far( England and Holland). Look to the enemy of my enemy for support, Russia and Sweden. Catholic powers in Germany and Italy should be friendly enough to trade and ally with. First thing I always do is check the Govt. tab/ Ministers and click and drag any ministers not performing well with replacements. Tech. I like the Bayonets upgrade so my infantry can melee well and Canister to be able to recruit 12lb. arty and use canister shot in battle. Don't worry about a navy or over-seas colonies early on instead develop your home industry especially mining as Vienna has Gold Mines. You'll have to watch rival religions( Muslim, Orthodox, and Protestant) don't convert your population against you-- build Monasteries and use Priests. I'm rooting for you. :)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.