GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: PanzersEast on May 06, 2014, 09:33:01 AM

Title: Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Post by: PanzersEast on May 06, 2014, 09:33:01 AM
And Tom Chick tells you why http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/05/05/ten-reasons-imperialism-ii-greatest-strategy-game-ever-made/

Thought this to be an interesting write up and I have the game from GOG......


PE
Title: Re: Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Post by: Martok on May 06, 2014, 10:58:36 AM
I picked up Imperialism II from GOG last year as well.  I still haven't played it enough to say whether or not it's among the all-time greats (much less *the* greatest), but I definitely have fun whenever I play it.  :) 

Title: Re: Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Post by: SgtRock on May 06, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
It was a good game but, I never got whole layline thing, it just seemed out of place in the game.

Title: Re: Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Post by: RedArgo on May 06, 2014, 02:55:24 PM
One of my all time favorites.  My strategy was to scour the new world for diamonds for concentrated cash and build a powerful navy.  Once you win a decisive naval battle at the AIs capital, it was game over for them.
Title: Re: Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Post by: DennisS on May 06, 2014, 05:13:38 PM
I played the bejeesus out of this one. I still have a pretty lengthy list of map seeds that provide you with a monster start.
Title: Re: Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Post by: bbmike on May 06, 2014, 05:24:04 PM
I love to see love for Imperialism! But as much as I love the game I don't know if I would crown it THE greatest strategy game ever made. It's certainly on my top five list. A lot of game designers could certainly learn a few things from Imperialism I and II.

Quote from: SgtRock on May 06, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
It was a good game but, I never got whole layline thing, it just seemed out of place in the game.

What layline thing?  ???

Title: Re: Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Post by: bobarossa on May 06, 2014, 05:40:36 PM
Don't know what a 'layline' is either.  I have played Imp2 at least once every year since it came out (90's).  I wouldn't have said it was the greatest but then, it's the only game I've played that much (USAAF on my Atari is a close second). 
Title: Re: Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Post by: Queeg on May 06, 2014, 06:29:02 PM
Imperialism II is my all-time favorite too.  It's been on every hard drive I've owned since 1999.   

The game should be required study for anyone setting out to make a turn-based strategy game.  Every decision has a clear but important consequence - and a clear and compelling alternative path. 

It's hard to capture what makes the game so good without waxing metaphysical, but I think the essence of it is that the developers captured an elegant, near-perfect balance between abstraction and detail.     
Title: Re: Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made
Post by: SgtRock on May 06, 2014, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 06, 2014, 05:24:04 PM
I love to see love for Imperialism! But as much as I love the game I don't know if I would crown it THE greatest strategy game ever made. It's certainly on my top five list. A lot of game designers could certainly learn a few things from Imperialism I and II.

Quote from: SgtRock on May 06, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
It was a good game but, I never got whole layline thing, it just seemed out of place in the game.

What layline thing?  ???

Maybe I'm thinking of some other game, it's been a long time.