GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: TacticalWargames on May 21, 2014, 05:35:03 PM

Title: HistWar Napoleon massive cavalry battle!
Post by: TacticalWargames on May 21, 2014, 05:35:03 PM
One huge battle at 2:1 scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYsB8dNV8qc&feature=youtu.be (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYsB8dNV8qc&feature=youtu.be)
Title: Re: HistWar Napoleon massive cavalry battle!
Post by: panzerde on May 21, 2014, 06:09:36 PM
Seems to have made some nice progress visually, anyway. I need to hunt down some screenshot of the newest UI if I can find any. It was kind of rough in the past, though playable.
Title: Re: HistWar Napoleon massive cavalry battle!
Post by: bobarossa on May 22, 2014, 11:52:51 AM
Quote from: panzerde on May 21, 2014, 06:09:36 PM
Seems to have made some nice progress visually, anyway. I need to hunt down some screenshot of the newest UI if I can find any. It was kind of rough in the past, though playable.
Just took a look at parts of the video.  There are a lot of UI shots between 19 and 23 minutes on the film.  The sheer number of individuals are impressive. 

However, I found myself laughing at the many graphical glitches.  A group of riders were flying across the plains sideways.  In some battles, individuals were spinning like they were on a pole.  Sometimes the horses forget move their legs when moving.  The most undesirable to me is that when two cavalry groups collide they don't start fighting until the front of the group reaches the back end of the opposing group.  It's like noone wants to fight until they are all paired up with an opponent.

I'm not trying to say the game is horrible looking.  Just that it may be best played with you sticking with the view from a commander instead of getting down in the trenches. 
Title: Re: HistWar Napoleon massive cavalry battle!
Post by: sandman2575 on May 22, 2014, 12:49:26 PM
Man I wish HistWar could just steal Creative Assembly's graphics engine for the Total War games and apply it here.  (Same goes for Scourge of War.) 

The realism and historical fidelity of HistWar + visual beauty and smoother animations of Total War = Perfect Napoleonic Game.
Title: Re: HistWar Napoleon massive cavalry battle!
Post by: panzerde on May 22, 2014, 05:10:19 PM
Quote from: bobarossa on May 22, 2014, 11:52:51 AM
However, I found myself laughing at the many graphical glitches.  A group of riders were flying across the plains sideways.  In some battles, individuals were spinning like they were on a pole.  Sometimes the horses forget move their legs when moving.  The most undesirable to me is that when two cavalry groups collide they don't start fighting until the front of the group reaches the back end of the opposing group.  It's like noone wants to fight until they are all paired up with an opponent.


Yeah, the longer I watched the more of that I saw, to the point that it was pretty distracting. The background and terrain are better, and there certainly is a sense of scale, but the animations really are rough, still.
Title: Re: HistWar Napoleon massive cavalry battle!
Post by: magnus on May 22, 2014, 07:18:42 PM
 Just remember, to compare it to Scourge of War and not total War.

With a little more tweaking it should leave SOW in the dust.

Do not get me wrong, I like SOW. It is just the animations that drive me crazy.
Title: Re: HistWar Napoleon massive cavalry battle!
Post by: panzerde on May 22, 2014, 09:24:18 PM
Huh. I just always thought guys in the Civil War walked like that from eating salt pork and being away from women so long.
Title: Re: HistWar Napoleon massive cavalry battle!
Post by: magnus on May 23, 2014, 05:25:04 AM
 Passing well, Passing well.
Title: Re: HistWar Napoleon massive cavalry battle!
Post by: Boggit on May 23, 2014, 02:55:50 PM
Quote from: panzerde on May 22, 2014, 09:24:18 PM
Huh. I just always thought guys in the Civil War walked like that from eating salt pork and being away from women so long.
ROFL!! ;D