Wow, this is a good deal from Origin. Battlefield 3 is now free!
https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house?utm_campaign=bf-social-us-socom-fb-bf3othannouncefacebook-prev-conv&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&sourceid=bf-social-us-socom-fb-bf3othannouncefacebook-prev-conv&cid=21975&ts=1401312863412
I suspect only the base game, though. Still, I am glad to see them doing this as it will help to boost the number of players now that a large portion of the community has moved on to BF4 (I haven't - I won't touch BF4 until I can get the Complete edition with all the DLC...and on sale. ^-^).
If you never played a BF game, BF3 is a good place to start!
Plants vs Zombies is also free from Origin at the moment.
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 28, 2014, 04:29:31 PM
Wow, this is a good deal from Origin. Battlefield 3 is now free!
https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house?utm_campaign=bf-social-us-socom-fb-bf3othannouncefacebook-prev-conv&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&sourceid=bf-social-us-socom-fb-bf3othannouncefacebook-prev-conv&cid=21975&ts=1401312863412
I suspect only the base game, though. Still, I am glad to see them doing this as it will help to boost the number of players now that a large portion of the community has moved on to BF4 (I haven't - I won't touch BF4 until I can get the Complete edition with all the DLC...and on sale. ^-^).
If you never played a BF game, BF3 is a good place to start!
thought about it - is there an active online community for 3 or did they all migrate to 4?
The online community for "3" isnt big, but you can still find enough servers to game on........I bought the game about a month ago in a sale. I will say that the guys that are still playing it are very, very good.... Expect to die a lot.
I played it about two-three months ago and while the base was about 30% of what it had been, it still was a adequate community. Plus, this free deal will probably swell the player base even more. Plus, it is free, so there is no risk even if the community turns out to be smaller than you wanted.
This had a superb single player campaign
Seeing how I am getting ready to dive into BF4, I reinstalled BF3 to re-familiarize myself with the game (I was so disgusted with what DICE pulled with BF4 that I actually deleted BF3 from my HDD). It never ceases to amaze me how quickly you forget how to play a particular shooter. Even though the mechanics are basically the same from shooter to shooter, it really is striking how each has its own vibe that governs the gameplay. Returning to this shooter (that I have 140 hours in) after such a long layoff makes me feel and play like a newb all over again! LOL!
Anyhoo, just wanted to follow up on the question about the game's population. It looks like the BF3 give away did swell the ranks because I found lots of servers to play on tonight, most full to the 64 player cap. Even better, a lot of the players are low level newbs, so if you haven't played before you won't be alone.
It doesn't look like BF3 is still free, but Origin currently has it on sale for $5.99, so you can still get the game for a song. Just FYI.
BF3 was a superb game imo and had a great story and single player campaign
I never actually finished that campaign.
I never finished the campaign either. I got about 30% of the way in and then lost interest once BF4 exploded on launch. ;D Just killed my enthusiasm for the whole series. I think I will finish the campaign in BF3 before I move on to BF4's campaign. Not that I play these games for the campaign anyway....
I am really happy seeing all the new players who took advantage of the free give-away. The only downsides are:
1) Little team co-operation. Everyone is lone wolfing it like it is CoD.
2) The newbs aren't supporting their team with their special abilities. For example, I happened across about half a dozen guys grouped together, all of whom were low on ammo. Nobody was throwing down ammo crates...even though two of them could do so. LOL! Likewise, medics are constantly running pass low health soldiers without throwing medic bags down, and completely running past downed teammates without trying to revive them. Nobody is repairing vehicles either. They just use them until their HP get low and then run away. ;D Worst of all, nobody is spotting targets. This makes it almost impossible to avoid walking into ambushes. >:(
3) Interestingly, I am forgetting to go prone in this game. I got so used to not being able to go prone in CSGO that I have forgotten I have that ability in BF3. :uglystupid2:
4) There only seems to be one server left that is running all the DLC map packs. So...this basically means that the $50 I spent on the premium pass is now wasted money. Eh, if I like BF4, I probably won't be coming back this way again anyway, but it still rankles me that I won't being get much more value from those packs.
So, it is one big newbie cluster&#@. ;D But that is okay. I like to watch other people learn to play a new game.