GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: RooksBailey on May 30, 2014, 01:33:23 AM

Title: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: RooksBailey on May 30, 2014, 01:33:23 AM
Looks like there is a Payday 2 free weekend on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218620/

I was always interested in trying this game, especially in light of EA's decision to copy it with Hardline.   ::)  So I gave it a try...and I am still not sure what to think.  I am leery of co-op games because the community is so integral to the experience.  If you get a bunch of leet players who just like to boss around other players, or if you just get a lot of friends/clans playing, co-op games can be very hostile to lone wolfs like me who just want to drop in and play a few rounds.  So far I haven't encountered any jerks, but this is a free to play weekend, so the base is probably swelling with lone wolf newbs like me.  I also refuse to use a mic, so that makes co-op games more difficult.

I am glad to see that there is an "offline" mode where you can play the game solo, just like in L4D, but sadly the SP mode doesn't seem as advanced as L4D in that your AI cohorts seem invulnerable to enemy fire, something that lessens the challenge (haven't checked if this is true for higher difficult levels, though).  Plus, you can't order them around, something that is a real shame because this game has multiple objectives (multiple safes, ATMs, etc) per match and it would be very helpful if you could give them specific instructions.  So the SP portion is so-so.  Shame, because with just a few modifications, it could be epic!

The graphics are quite nice.  Sharper than CSGS, but similar.   Some nice effects at time, too (such as shattering glass and what-have-you).

Anyhoo, I want to play this some more before I make up my mind whether or not it is a buy.  The base game is $10, and then there is another $10 in DLC (which seems pretty necessary since it adds more missions and lots of weapon unlocks).  Haven't decided if it is worth the $20 though.  I am finding the unique gameplay compelling, though.  Casing joints and attempting stealth heists is rather refreshing for gameplay. 

Anyone else playing this?
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: JudgeDredd on May 30, 2014, 01:54:18 AM
I've also been intrigued by this - often looking at the videos but never quite biting the bullet.

I like the sound of a cops and robbers themed game and it reminds me a wee bit of one of my fav movies of all time - HEAT.

However - not being a huge fan of online gaming I've never bitten. This is the second time I've seen it free to play and it's likely the second time I'll let it pass.

I think one of the issues with an online game (quite aside from the very things you mentioned above) for me is "there is no end"...it's a game always sitting their competing for your time and I have a load of games I feel guilty about not completing...some of them really good too.

So I doubt I'll be picking this up - even (especially) for the free weekend - I would feel pressured to play it all weekend and I don't want to - I have other games to play
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: RooksBailey on May 30, 2014, 02:46:38 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 30, 2014, 01:54:18 AM
I like the sound of a cops and robbers themed game and it reminds me a wee bit of one of my fav movies of all time - HEAT.

I've always wanted to see that movie.  Must get around to it one day.

QuoteI think one of the issues with an online game (quite aside from the very things you mentioned above) for me is "there is no end"...it's a game always sitting their competing for your time and I have a load of games I feel guilty about not completing...some of them really good too.

Yeah, that is true.   :)  I never really played online shooters until I discovered Battlefield Bad Company 2 (what year was that?  2010?).  That is when the MP shooter bug bit me.  Since then, I have been hooked.  I think I have really become fond of MP shooters precisely because they usually involve short matches where you can effortlessly go through the same motions over and over again with little thought.  :)  I find that the perfect way to relax after a hard day. 

Anyhoo...I did finally run into some "leet" players.  Gee, that didn't take long.   >:(  I joined a heist with two other players, but d because I still don't know how all the mechanics in this game works, somehow I alerted the security guard who tripped the alarm.  Right away one of the players types "noob" and disconnects.  Then the other players disconnect, too.  That left me playing with the bots, which, truth be told, I was having fun doing anyway.   ;D  A few minutes later, the same players wind up reconnecting...I guess they couldn't find any other games.  Turns out, we made a good team anyway and finished the match. 

We agreed to play a second match, but one of the players said that I shouldn't be the leader but so-and-so should be (more experience?  Or were they friends?  Probably friends since they all disconnected together).  But that was the extent of it.  We played another match and won. 

Still, this is what concerns me with the co-op games.  Such "leet" attitudes poisoned L4D for me, and it looks like it might cause me to pass on this game, too.  Shame. 

But we'll see. 

Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 30, 2014, 11:19:41 AM
Heat is a classic film...definitely check it out when you have a free three hours.
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 12:10:37 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 30, 2014, 11:19:41 AM
Heat is a classic film...definitely check it out when you have a free three hours.

"Cause she's got a great ass... and you got your head all the way up it! "   :2funny:

I've also been a bit interested in the Payday series but never really checked it out.

Been debating picking up something like this or CSGO lately.  Shooters with purpose.  I don't know how they compare, but since Payday 2 is free this weekend, I'll probably put some time into it.
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 30, 2014, 12:27:37 PM
I still stay away from online shooters just because the general population tends to be exactly what has been described in this thread. I did enjoy Left For Dead 2...I was surprised how much fun it was to jump in with people and do some zombie killin'.

Payday was intriguing but I never bought it, nor 2. I might eventually, but only if I know friends are playing it.
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 30, 2014, 01:10:48 PM
I am up for giving it a go.  I enjoy co-op based shooters.  I thought about getting Payday 2 previously but I heard the single player AI was terrible and drop in games weren't much better as you get a lot of "shoot everything" asshats who don't like to plan. 

Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 01:32:50 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 30, 2014, 01:10:48 PM
I thought about getting Payday 2 previously but I heard the single player AI was terrible and drop in games weren't much better as you get a lot of "shoot everything" asshats who don't like to plan.

That will probably be the reason I end up just getting CS for the quick & dirty.
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 30, 2014, 01:38:10 PM
So, anyone want to give it a whirl this weekend?  It's a pretty god-damned big download but I'm game if we can get a group going.
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 30, 2014, 01:38:10 PM
So, anyone want to give it a whirl this weekend?  It's a pretty god-damned big download but I'm game if we can get a group going.

I'm downloading it right now but not sure when I'll be playing.  I'll check in and let you know when I do.


The damn install footprint said it's 29GB!!  Did I see that correctly?!   

Nevermind.. the install folder is only 10.9 GB.
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 30, 2014, 01:54:02 PM
"Only" 10.9 GB...lol...

Back in MY day, Leisure Suit Larry took only 256K of RAM, and we were happy with that!  :-[
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: JudgeDredd on May 30, 2014, 01:54:56 PM
Wolfenstein The New Order was 40GB  :o
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: RooksBailey on May 30, 2014, 02:50:45 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 12:10:37 PM

I've also been a bit interested in the Payday series but never really checked it out.

Been debating picking up something like this or CSGO lately.  Shooters with purpose.  I don't know how they compare, but since Payday 2 is free this weekend, I'll probably put some time into it.

Now that I have played both I can say that I prefer CSGO just because it is easier to enjoy a game as a lone wolf.  You still need to support your team in that game, but you aren't tied to the hips of your fellow teammates.  The cooperation is more organic. 

Payday 2 is much more team-based intensive because of the required close cooperation on a heist.  You can have multiple objectives in a single game, so you need to really plan who is going where and doing what.  With friends that can be a lot of fun, but with strangers it can be a challenge. 

Still, I am finding Payday 2 to be a really clever and well-made game.  Definitely worth checking out during the free weekend.

Quote from: NefaroThe damn install footprint said it's 29GB!!  Did I see that correctly?!   

Nevermind.. the install folder is only 10.9 GB.

I have found the devs to be really supportive of this game.  Not only have they released a nice amount of FREE DLC, but they have just announced a new beta build where they are trying to cut the install size in half!  Now that is customer service!

BTW:  Consider Titanfall's 50gb install file.   ::)  Games like CSGO and Payday 2, amongst others, have reminded me how big a qualitative difference there is between devs who care about the PC community and those who just release sloppy console ports.  >:(

QuoteThat will probably be the reason I end up just getting CS for the quick & dirty.

That is why I am preferring CSGO, too.

Quote from: Silent Disapproval RobotI thought about getting Payday 2 previously but I heard the single player AI was terrible and drop in games weren't much better as you get a lot of "shoot everything" asshats who don't like to plan. 

It is a real shame that the devs didn't do just a little more work on the SP portion.  All the game really needs is a planning mode where you can give specific instructions to your AI squad mates for this game to really shine.  Just simple stuff like "drill the safe" or "guard this entrance" and the SP game would be rock solid.  Maybe in a future expansion.
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 30, 2014, 02:55:16 PM
Payday 2 is a great game. The SP component is playable, but don't expect to succeed very often. While your AI team mates will attack enemies and revive you when downed, they will not perform mission critical tasks, like collecting loot, etc. Therefore, you have to perform these tasks solo and under increasing pressure from police this gets exceedingly difficult. But it always remains fun.

In the limited amount of online games I've played, I've been lucky enough to connect with serious players who work together. If we could get a Grogheads team going, it would be a real blast.
Title: Re: Payday 2 Free Weekend
Post by: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 06:11:40 PM
I like the idea of a dedicated Grogheads group.  Does Payday 2 have built-in voice? 

Ehhh.. after watching a couple gameplay vids, this looks like it may be one of those shooters that give me vicious motion sickness.   :'(  I'll have to check it out sometime but it doesn't bode well.